Pierside Covid testing?

pfund

I can get tests from Randox and upload results via their app for certification for travel. Does anyone know if Silversea accepts these as the nearest pharmacy test would be over 50 miles away.

2 minutes ago, Clodia said:

I can get tests from Randox and upload results via their app for certification for travel. Does anyone know if Silversea accepts these as the nearest pharmacy test would be over 50 miles away.

Hi Clodia, is the test itself overseen by a third party eg via a video link or is it the version whereby you upload a picture of the result and they produce an official looking certificate. 

From what I have read, unless the test itself is viewed by a third party, whereby you show them your passport, test kit, take the test and wait whilst the result comes on the lateral flow test itself, then the certificate they issue  is acceptable to SS. Whereas if you upload a picture of the result and they issue a certificate, then this is not acceptable. This is probably understandable as there is no third party verification of who took the test. 

11 hours ago, Clodia said:

I spoke too soon. The pharmacy has just cancelled my test as there is "no call for them" now they are not required to fly from the UK.

What now?

We are flying BA and on their website they list numerous companies offering tests at a discount.

The test we opted for involves a nurse observation over Teams on the internet.

You could also do your test at the airport before you fly to your destination.  That might be the easiest solution for you, but slightly more expensive.

You do have options though.  Good luck….

Oops...sorry all.  Yes I meant to type Silversea personnel overseeing it all!  It was painless if you came prepared.  I was really concerned that this was going to be a really tough experience based on what  I had read on various boards ahead of our cruise.  But it was really easy.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice people! I have managed to book a PCR test 2 days before sailing with a pharmacy I can reach fairly easily; results by next morning. I'll get a couple of observed ones as a backup. I could do without the stress though: definitely no more cruises for me until testing ends; it completely spoils the anticipation and excitement I've experienced over the past 25 years!

• Like 2

@NeilP57    I did get the email this morning from SS: they are continuing pier-side testing until June 30th.  They note it as part of the EU requirements, as we are both boarding in Venice/Fusina I want to share this info.  (I cannot say what is happening for other regions.)

629185EB-6AE5-4B74-9FE8-A93D0DA4E4FB_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mchell810 said:

@NeilP57    I did get the email this morning from SS: they are continuing pier-side testing until June 30th.  They note it as part of the EU requirements, as we are both boarding in Venice/Fusina I want to share this info.  (I cannot say what is happening for other regions.)

629185EB-6AE5-4B74-9FE8-A93D0DA4E4FB_1_201_a.jpeg

It gets worse!

So SS are saying the only way you can board is if you have a negative antigen test taken within the last 24 hours.

So a PCR not valid?

Azamara have issued instructions it can be an antigen within 24 hours, or PCR within 3 days - apart from departing Greece, which are saying either test must be within 24 hours.

I appreciate SS and other CL have to adhere to the rules as instructed. They are saying these are EU instructions, but they differ. Someone's got it wrong!

There was me thinking travel is being made easier and restrictions are being lifted. At least it is to arrive in countries. It now seems the difficulty is to leave.

I suppose it's nothing to do with the revenues earned from tests which will now be done locally or hotel isolation incomes from those arriving but failing a test once in the country.

So what happens after 30 June? Cruising with confidence?

1 hour ago, les37b said:

It gets worse!

So SS are saying the only way you can board is if you have a negative antigen test taken within the last 24 hours.

So a PCR not valid?

Azamara have issued instructions it can be an antigen within 24 hours, or PCR within 3 days - apart from departing Greece, which are saying either test must be within 24 hours.

I appreciate SS and other CL have to adhere to the rules as instructed. They are saying these are EU instructions, but they differ. Someone's got it wrong!

There was me thinking travel is being made easier and restrictions are being lifted. At least it is to arrive in countries. It now seems the difficulty is to leave.

I suppose it's nothing to do with the revenues earned from tests which will now be done locally or hotel isolation incomes from those arriving but failing a test once in the country.

So what happens after 30 June? Cruising with confidence?

For the last few months SS has been extending the date for which they will do pier side testing one month at a time.  Of course, I can't say when that will end.  I am glad they have extended for my upcoming trip and I plan to make use of the service.  As far as I know there is not a charge from SS. 

As for the type of test: I would think a PCR test is acceptable even they they haven't stated that in the email.  You should probably contact SS to confirm it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mchell810 said:

For the last few months SS has been extending the date for which they will do pier side testing one month at a time.  Of course, I can't say when that will end.  I am glad they have extended for my upcoming trip and I plan to make use of the service.  As far as I know there is not a charge from SS. 

As for the type of test: I would think a PCR test is acceptable even they they haven't stated that in the email.  You should probably contact SS to confirm it.

You are missing the point. The information is stated as an EU requirement, yet is different and conflicts.

My next SS cruise isn't until next March, by which time I'm hoping there will be no testing requirements at all. However I agree anyone sailing in the next few weeks should call SS and request clarity if a PCR is acceptable and if it is up to 3 days before. As it stands, the email suggests it isn't. I would suspect you are correct it will be and if it is, knowing you have a 3 day grace period for a PCR could make all the difference and ease difficulties guests are experiencing by limiting to 24 hours.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

You are missing the point. The information is stated as an EU requirement, yet is different and conflicts.

My next SS cruise isn't until next March, by which time I'm hoping there will be no testing requirements at all. However I agree anyone sailing in the next few weeks should call SS and request clarity if a PCR is acceptable and if it is up to 3 days before. As it stands, the email suggests it isn't. I would suspect you are correct it will be and if it is, knowing you have a 3 day grace period for a PCR could make all the difference and ease difficulties guests are experiencing by limiting to 24 hours.

I have given up trying to find matching information; instead, I focus on what I am told is required (now), for my specific situation, otherwise I'll lose my mind.

• Like 2

Hi All....I would recommend that anyone cruising with SS do exactly what the email that they received from SS for their cruise tells them to do.  When we sailed from Copenhagen on May 22 there was NO pierside testing.  Our email flatly told us that we were responsible to handle the testing and if we did not then we would be denied boarding.  While it is always interesting and informative to read what the other OPs are being told, it may not apply to your specific cruise.  So please do not make your decisions/ plans based on what others are telling you. Do what SS tells you to do.

Just now, fudge said:

How long before you sail do they inform you please? We are 24 days out before sailing, nothing yet?

It used to be circa 30 days but given the changing circumstances, we had an email a while back from SS telling us that it would be circa 15 days before sailing. 

We are departing Venice on 17th June and are still waiting and an OP departing a week before us on 10th June received their boarding instructions and requirements yesterday. This indicates that they are sticking to what they say and issuing them 15 days beforehand. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mchell810 said:

I have given up trying to find matching information; instead, I focus on what I am told is required (now), for my specific situation, otherwise I'll lose my mind.

Agree.... Though as you know, those Azamara guests also followed the instructions but were denied boarding still..... And let's be fair, SS do have a history of incorrect info.

Moral, do take notice but double check. The pitfalls are becoming more unpleasant than when cruising first started up again a year ago! And it certainly doesn't hurt to seek clarity, baring in mind most would be able to do a PCR prior to travelling.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

It used to be circa 30 days but given the changing circumstances, we had an email a while back from SS telling us that it would be circa 15 days before sailing. 

We are departing Venice on 17th June and are still waiting and an OP departing a week before us on 10th June received their boarding instructions and requirements yesterday. This indicates that they are sticking to what they say and issuing them 15 days beforehand. 

I am boarding in Venice/Fusina in July - I (and others too, I expect) would be very grateful if you could post how your boarding process actually went.

I intend to follow the SS instructions altho' only getting them 15 days out doesn't leave much time to plan, eg where to get an antigen test in Venice since I arrive a few days before embarkation so can't use my pre-flight test, but it is always useful to know how things happen in real life, rather on a bit of paper.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jollyjones

3 hours ago, Clodia said:

And a PCR is more accurate so I would imagine it would be preferred.

It certainly has a greater detection ability for sure (ie could detect earlier than antigen), but prone to false negatives. In Jan after 4 days in quarantine on the Moon, my wife was antigen negative, but failed a day 5 PCR, so we're prisoners for a 9 day extension.... Sometimes it's not so bad!) That said, I agree a PCR should be fine, but as per the suggestion of following the SS guidelines.... It's not valid! A call to clarify is certainly something I would do.

Where and why I've raised alarm bells, I'm aware guests on Azamara in Piraeus were refused with PCRs. Luckily they could still get an antigen. 

I'm still undecided for a week's time to risk a false positive and get a PCR (having recently recovered a couple of weeks ago), or fly over, get just an antigen and potentially go into quarantine.... But hopefully board and sail.

The more I think about it, the more apprehensive I've become.

9 hours ago, les37b said:

It [PCR test] certainly has a greater detection ability for sure (ie could detect earlier than antigen), but prone to false negatives

@les37b No, that's backwards. A quick antigen test is more prone to false negatives than a PCR test.

So when your wife got a negative antigen test but then failed a PCR test, it was the antigen test which was incorrect with a false negative; the PCR test yielded the more accurate result, and thus your quarantine. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, cruiseej said:

@les37b No, that's backwards. A quick antigen test is more prone to false negatives than a PCR test.

So when your wife got a negative antigen test but then failed a PCR test, it was the antigen test which was incorrect with a false negative; the PCR test yielded the more accurate result, and thus your quarantine. 

As we are talking about a PCR taken the day after a negative antigen instance, yes it picked up the virus the antigen didn't. I did state in my reply a PCR is more thorough. It will pick up the virus first as it develops and after you are no longer infectious. It's a more in depth test which takes far longer to do.

It wasn't a false positive here and proved it was a more thorough test. No argument there. However, if she tested several days later positive, it most definitely would not have been a more accurate result as she would be COVID recovered and why the onboard doctor issued a letter accordingly and this is done because PCR can mess things up.

Her quarantine continued even after she had a negative PCR..... You serve 10 days from first positive test date.. Them's the rules - or at least the rules on Silver Moon. A negative test meant nothing until you served your 10 days.

I'm not suggesting a PCR should not be allowed. Just stating people are advocating following SS instructions, which only states a negative antigen test is required.

I know it's a play on words, but "false negative" is simply an inaccurate result because it wasn't thorough enough. I mentioned my wife's case to prove the point and agree her negative antigen indicated she wasn't infectious but was still considered to have COVID. I don't disagree 

I currently would pass any antigen test. That would be accurate. However as recently COVID recovered, whilst I should pass, there is a real danger I could test positive with a PCR. That result would be wrong and result in not being allowed to fly or board. A doctor's letter would counter that test (but only if SS accept it and I question that because I know Azamara refuse to accept them. I don't know if SS do.)

So yes, a PCR can be more accurate.... But can potentially ruin your vacation if you have recently recovered by giving a false positive. Which would you advocate as being the better test in these circumstances?

Silversea state they want an antigen (and I don't disagree with your views a negative test might occur as the virus develops and just not enough to detect), that is what they've said in black and white they want.

The logic and implications of this falls on SS. Are you advocating SS should change its policy to either include a PCR or to replace antigen? I don't disagree with the point you made. As others have said, I think SS just has bad wording and does include PCR... But given the importance and implications they HAVE to get this right 

People can board after an antigen tested negative and undetected within 24 hours. I actually know of someone this week who passed a PCR, flew to Bermuda 2 days later and then tested positive with antigen (just a precaution). Nothing is perfect. The people I refer are hoping for a negative antigen to be able to fly home to the US 6 days later. He has minor cold symptoms. For a UK traveller, had the antigen test not been done on arrival, they could happily have flown home as scheduled and been none the wiser. No test needed to arrive in the UK 

With these levels of paranoia, maybe it's best we all give up and not leave the front door. I do actually regret making the booking for my next cruise which I depart for in 9 days. I might change my mind once on board, but travelling is no longer the exciting pleasurable experience it once was.

Things are not looking bad for our 17 June cruise with now pier side testing and a check on You Gov showing no requirement for PLO forms.  Almost back to normal.

Can someone enlighten me with current rulings on masks both onboard and on excursions.

We are on the Venice, Croatia, Venice   Have not received boarding instructions yet

Many thanks

• Like 1