Covid protocols in Australia and New Zealand

We are starting to plan a long cruise and land vacation in Australia and New Zealand for 2023, probably in February, although the dates are flexible.

I know that things can change and there are no guarantees, but what is the status of Covid protocols in those areas now?  Masking requirements?  Testing on arrival or before?  Testing after a cruise and before or during a land tour?  Before flying home?

We will probably only make this journey once and want to see as much as possible, probably spending a month or so.  Any advice appreciated.  Also as budget-friendly as possible.  (I know prices are high in this part of the world.)  Our must sees include the Red Center and much of the Great Barrier Reef area, as well as a cruise to NZ.  We are experienced travelers but arranging all this is daunting.

11 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We are starting to plan a long cruise and land vacation in Australia and New Zealand for 2023, probably in February, although the dates are flexible.

I know that things can change and there are no guarantees, but what is the status of Covid protocols in those areas now?  Masking requirements?  Testing on arrival or before?  Testing after a cruise and before or during a land tour?  Before flying home?

We will probably only make this journey once and want to see as much as possible, probably spending a month or so.  Any advice appreciated.  Also as budget-friendly as possible.  (I know prices are high in this part of the world.)  Our must sees include the Red Center and much of the Great Barrier Reef area, as well as a cruise to NZ.  We are experienced travelers but arranging all this is daunting.

Firstly, February will be one of the hottest months to go to the Red Centre and the GBR where it will also have extremely high humidity. There is also the threat of cyclones. On the other hand February is usually a great time to cruise to NZ.

The current Covid protocols for international travellers arriving in Australia are - this link will help but of course things may change before your travel date - Covid Protocols for Travellers Coming to Australia

At this time,  travellers from overseas are not required to have a Covid test before departure for Australia but you need to follow your airline protocols and those of any country you transit through. On the link I have provided above are links for protocols for the states and territories.

Mask wearing - you must wear a mask for the duration of your flight, while disembarking your aircraft, in the airport and where you can't social distance - both for international and domestic flights.

As crusing hasn't yet commenced here yet (end of May into June are the first cruises), there is still information coming about testing and mask wearing. You would be best to keep abreast of what is required for the cruise line you intend to use. 

How much time are you thinking of spending in Australia and your cruise? 

Here are the current protocols for NZ.  https://covid19.govt.nz/international-travel/how-to-enter-new-zealand/travelling-to-new-zealand-from-outside-of-australia-and-the-pacific-islands/

These could well change by February though.  An announcement is yet to be made about the opening of the maritime border so I'm not sure if the protocols will be different for cruise ships.  At the moment, you do need a pre-departure Covid test for NZ.  Masks are required for retail stores, public transport and certain businesses still require masks. Some businesses require a vaccine pass too but not many eg some restaurants require a vaccine pass but they are few and far between.

Princess Cruises have published their Health Protocols for Australia. You can see them by using the link at the top of the Princess home page. I believe P&O Australia are following much the same protocols. They are worth reading even if Princess isn't your cruise line of choice but I don't think other cruise lines will publish their protocols until closer to the time they expect to start operating here.

They will give you a clear indication of the current status but, of course, those protocols may change before 2023 and Princess has stated they will keep them up to date. 

Thank you all for the advice.  I realize all of these protocols are hard to pin down for travel next year.  But at least this gives us a little idea of what to expect, while understanding things can change.

We are planning on at least a month in NZ and Australia in order to see as much as possible.  I do realize how hot it is in the Red Center, and we are willing to adjust dates as needed.  Because of other factors we really can't go until the end of January but into March, or even later, would be fine too.

Due to the long flights and our age (we'll both be 77) we will probably only make this long journey once.  Bucket list!

We do cruise Princess a lot--I think we will be elite on our next cruise--but of course are open to other lines.  They seem to have the most reasonable prices though.  A lot depends on what we can find for airfare.  We may book a cruise and if necessary cancel before final payment and then find tours for the land portion.

Another question or two!  What are not to miss ports in New Zealand.  Every cruise line seems to have slightly different ports and we of course would like to see as much as possible.  I especially would like to go to Hobbit Town.

I was thinking February for New Zealand because I didn't want it to be too cold.  When I look at average highs in March (and I realize these are just averages and weather can not be predicted) they don't seem much cooler than February.  Would March be a better time for the Red Center?  What about for the Great Barrier Reef?

Thanks in advance!

17 hours ago, possum52 said:

Firstly, February will be one of the hottest months to go to the Red Centre and the GBR where it will also have extremely high humidity. There is also the threat of cyclones. On the other hand February is usually a great time to cruise to NZ.

The current Covid protocols for international travellers arriving in Australia are - this link will help but of course things may change before your travel date - Covid Protocols for Travellers Coming to Australia

At this time,  travellers from overseas are not required to have a Covid test before departure for Australia but you need to follow your airline protocols and those of any country you transit through. On the link I have provided above are links for protocols for the states and territories.

Mask wearing - you must wear a mask for the duration of your flight, while disembarking your aircraft, in the airport and where you can't social distance - both for international and domestic flights.

As crusing hasn't yet commenced here yet (end of May into June are the first cruises), there is still information coming about testing and mask wearing. You would be best to keep abreast of what is required for the cruise line you intend to use. 

How much time are you thinking of spending in Australia and your cruise? 

Most helpful, thank you

• Like 1

Another question or two!  What are not to miss ports in New Zealand.  Every cruise line seems to have slightly different ports and we of course would like to see as much as possible.  I especially would like to go to Hobbit Town.

I was thinking February for New Zealand because I didn't want it to be too cold.  When I look at average highs in March (and I realize these are just averages and weather can not be predicted) they don't seem much cooler than February.  Would March be a better time for the Red Center?  What about for the Great Barrier Reef?

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Start in NZ in mid to late February, then cruise to Australia which will be reasonably OK for travel to places like Uluru.

We are looking at all options and that is one.  Just put flights on hold, but may be changing them depending on which cruise to NZ we decide on.  Hoping we can stand the long hauls in Premium econy, but got a great deal using FF miles.

13 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

February and March are the best months for NZ. January is good too, but it's school holidays in NZ and Oz.

For Uluru, March/April or September/October.

The GBR cyclone season is Dec-Mar. Jellyfish season is Nov-May.

If I was trying to thread the needle, I'd say NZ in March, Uluru in April and Cairns in May. Of course things never work out that way. 😎

9 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

February and March are the best months for NZ. January is good too, but it's school holidays in NZ and Oz.

For Uluru, March/April or September/October.

The GBR cyclone season is Dec-Mar. Jellyfish season is Nov-May.

If I was trying to thread the needle, I'd say NZ in March, Uluru in April and Cairns in May. Of course things never work out that way. 😎

Good advice and I did wonder about the jellyfish season.  but, unfortunately, I don't think we can be gone from March to May!  I'm beginning to wonder if we can do 'everything' we want to do in one trip!  But I am making some progress with plans.

Do you think it is possible to find a tour to the Red Center once in Sydney, without booking ahead?  We'd only need three days or so.  I'm finding it difficult to find one online that works for us but was wondering if such things can be arranged once in Australia.

8 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Do you think it is possible to find a tour to the Red Center once in Sydney, without booking ahead?

Definitely, it just can't be guaranteed. There are daily direct flights from Sydney to Uluru Airport (AYQ). Outside of school holidays there should be no problem getting seats on short notice.

You can get tours from Uluru, such as here. Whether you can get them on the day I don't know.

12 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Good advice and I did wonder about the jellyfish season.  but, unfortunately, I don't think we can be gone from March to May!  I'm beginning to wonder if we can do 'everything' we want to do in one trip!  But I am making some progress with plans.

Do you think it is possible to find a tour to the Red Center once in Sydney, without booking ahead?  We'd only need three days or so.  I'm finding it difficult to find one online that works for us but was wondering if such things can be arranged once in Australia.

Snorkelling trips to the Great Barrier Reef include stinger suits so are reasonably safe.

If you do decide to go there I recommend staying in Port Douglas as the best reef trips go from there. There are regular shuttles from Cairns airport to Port Douglas, and once there tours pick up from hotels etc. There is plenty of good accommodation within walking distance of shops, restaurants, the beach (which is great for walking on) and the marina. There are also regular bus services to hotels further away from the main part of the town.

Thank you so much everyone.  We are just about to book two cruises; an 11 day from Sydney up to Port Douglas and a 12 day Sydney to New Zealand round trip.  We have 5 days between the cruises and could stay longer after the New Zealand cruise if we want to go to the Red Center in March rather than February.

We were able to get premium economy using our miles and even have miles left over.  All the cruises are refundable up to final payment and we have decent balcony cabins.  In the coming months we will do more research to see how to spend our time on the extra days we have, but we shuold have plenty of time for that.

We may miss Melbourne/Tasmania, and other places but we realize we can't do everything, at least in our budget and time frame.  Hoping this all comes off and nothing dire happens to close cruising/traveling down again!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We are just about to book two cruises; an 11 day from Sydney up to Port Douglas and a 12 day Sydney to New Zealand round trip.  We have 5 days between the cruises and could stay longer after the New Zealand cruise if we want to go to the Red Center in March rather than February.

I don't want to throw a spoke into your plans, but you could do your cruise from Sydney to Port Douglas and back. Then either spend several days in Sydney or a quick trip to Uluru. Then cruising to NZ from Sydney one way. Hiring a vehicle in Auckland and doing the North Island by land for a few days. Then flying home from Auckland. You should be able to find a one way NZ cruise from Sydney that goes via Melbourne and Hobart. This saves you from having to do the Tasman Sea crossing from Auckland to Sydney, which is probably time better spent elsewhere.

Of course this option works just as well in the opposite direction.

We've actually thought about just what you are suggesting, although not doing a driving trip in New Zealand.  I guess we are opting for the 'easier' choice, given our age (77) and of course driving on the 'wrong' side of the road--it was a little challenging in England and that was a few years ago!

The sea days on the NZ cruise aren't too bad and we are both seasoned sailors and seldom if ever get seasick.  But I know that can be a challenging crossing.

And the two cruises just happen to work really well as to timing.  We are planning on the Red Center after the last cruise, which gets back March 23, due to heat.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser