Phuket snorkeling for beginners?

desibee

Is it safe to go snorkeling in Phuket if you're a complete novice to it?  Would this be the kind of excursion it would be best to do a ship tour or is it safe to trust local tour companies?

I can swim just fine but I've never gone snorkeling or diving before and I'm a bit nervous about jellyfish and such.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 7:24 PM, desibee said:

Is it safe to go snorkeling in Phuket if you're a complete novice to it?  Would this be the kind of excursion it would be best to do a ship tour or is it safe to trust local tour companies?

I can swim just fine but I've never gone snorkeling or diving before and I'm a bit nervous about jellyfish and such.

As a long time (over 50 years) avid snorkeler and less avid SCUBA diver I will take a shot at your questions/concerns.  Snorkeling is not difficult for folks that know how to swim and are comfortable in the Sea.   You would be well advised to buy some inexpensive snorkel gear and spend some time at a local pool, lake, etc.  

As to jellyfish, they are a worldwide risk anytime folks are in the sea, even if you are just wading in shallow water.  Over the years I have been stung too many times and life goes on.  Ironically I have been rarely stung when snorkeling or diving, but have been less lucky when simply swimming off beaches on the East Coast of the USA and in the Caribbean.  You could spend your entire life in the sea and never get stung or you could get nailed a few times in a single day.  If that is a big concern you can buy a lightweight wet suit for about $40.  Jellyfish cannot sting you through a suit.  You still will have some exposed flesh around your mask, but wearing a suit does provide a lot of protection vs no suit.   

Hank