Magic out of Rome (June 27, 2022) - Cruising with Teens “not up to date” with vaccines

Chickadees

Hello all,

I am sure we are all confused about rules for European cruises and they seem to change weekly. Trying to understand ports of calls for teens who are not up to date with vaccines. They have had two doses but not a booster. We are thinking of travelling next month on the Magic out of Rome.  I understand the boarding process but wondered about getting off in ports of call.

There are 5 Greek ports of call. There is no information for Greece on the Disney site and I sat on hold for a hour but didn’t get through. Tie says do your own research but looked on Greek sites and didn’t see requirements specifically for cruise passengers. Do my kids have to Covid test each night prior to disembarking in the next Greek port because they don’t have a booster (European requirements)? If so, do you get a notice each day about testing for the next port of call? What is the cost? The last port of call before disembark in Rome is Naples. Again do they have to have a Covid test to see Naples?

Wondering if travelling with teens in Europe, who are not considered up to date to European standards, is worth it. 

10 minutes ago, Chickadees said:

Hello all,

I am sure we are all confused about rules for European cruises and they seem to change weekly. Trying to understand ports of calls for teens who are not up to date with vaccines. They have had two doses but not a booster. We are thinking of travelling next month on the Magic out of Rome.  I understand the boarding process but wondered about getting off in ports of call.

There are 5 Greek ports of call. There is no information for Greece on the Disney site and I sat on hold for a hour but didn’t get through. Tie says do your own research but looked on Greek sites and didn’t see requirements specifically for cruise passengers. Do my kids have to Covid test each night prior to disembarking in the next Greek port because they don’t have a booster (European requirements)? If so, do you get a notice each day about testing for the next port of call? What is the cost? The last port of call before disembark in Rome is Naples. Again do they have to have a Covid test to see Naples?

Wondering if travelling with teens in Europe, who are not considered up to date to European standards, is worth it. 

You have time, why not get the boosters?

• Like 1

Yes, I know. One teen has an extreme fear of shots and getting two was traumatic for him.  It took a long time just to get one shot done. He said no way for the booster. I accept his decision.

I assume, maybe incorrectly, that Disney has a process in place to test for those who want to visit a port of call and are not “up to date” with vaccines. I just wanted to know the process and Greek requirements since there is no link on the Disney site. Do you get a sheet the day before a port about testing times? Cost? For example, Celebrity has a schedule for the number of tests for your cruise dates. Assume Disney would have the same because some kids 5 and up (and adults) may not be boosted, and assume parents would want to take their kids ashore. 

I thought I had it mastered after cruising from Florida in November from Canada. I had so much paperwork to enter the US (test), board cruise (test), disembark (test) and fly back to Canada. One of our best cruises. May hold off a year for European cruising.

Maybe Alaska from Vancouver. 😀

38 minutes ago, Chickadees said:

Yes, I know. One teen has an extreme fear of shots and getting two was traumatic for him.  It took a long time just to get one shot done. He said no way for the booster. I accept his decision.

I assume, maybe incorrectly, that Disney has a process in place to test for those who want to visit a port of call and are not “up to date” with vaccines. I just wanted to know the process and Greek requirements since there is no link on the Disney site. Do you get a sheet the day before a port about testing times? Cost? For example, Celebrity has a schedule for the number of tests for your cruise dates. Assume Disney would have the same because some kids 5 and up (and adults) may not be boosted, and assume parents would want to take their kids ashore. 

I thought I had it mastered after cruising from Florida in November from Canada. I had so much paperwork to enter the US (test), board cruise (test), disembark (test) and fly back to Canada. One of our best cruises. May hold off a year for European cruising.

Maybe Alaska from Vancouver. 😀

I don't believe DCL has onboard testing to get off in ports.  If there's any sort of requirement to be able to get off in any port (vaccination status, or whatever), if a passenger doesn't meet that requirement when boarding, they will be denied boarding.

You can look up current requirements for US passengers traveling to foreign countries here  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/covid-19-travel-information.html

On 5/7/2022 at 11:18 PM, Shmoo here said:

I don't believe DCL has onboard testing to get off in ports.  If there's any sort of requirement to be able to get off in any port (vaccination status, or whatever), if a passenger doesn't meet that requirement when boarding, they will be denied boarding.

You can look up current requirements for US passengers traveling to foreign countries here  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/covid-19-travel-information.html

After two days of trying to get through with Disney, I got the information needed from representatives (lots of time on hold to confirm information).

1. To board the ship in Rome, Disney follows CDC guidelines so fully vaccinated is two full doses. Booster not required. Italy has relaxed rules entering the country, and those not boosted (but vaccinated with two doses) require a negative test.

2. For our sailing, there are 5 Greek ports. On May 5, Greece fully opened up and do not require vaccinations or tests to enter the country. From the Greek government site too:

*IMPORTANT NOTE* The requirement for completion of Passenger Locator Form (PLF) by visitors from ALL countries is no more mandatory from March 15, 2022.

Furthermore, as of Sunday 01.05.2022, all travellers arriving in Greece, regardless of their country of origin, are no longer required to display a valid certificate of vaccination or recovery from COVID-19, or evidence of a negative test result from SARS-CoV-2 infection (PCR or Rapid Antigen)

3. Naples Italy: Right now that would require a test to disembark. Agent stated that most likely there will be testing on board as some will not be boosted. The cruise line is deciding this a week out for each sailing. For example, he said the current transatlantic crossing has testing on board for people who want to visit ports of call. This is our only port of call that would require testing. Rules may change by June 27.

This will be moot for my kids if boosted 2 weeks prior to cruising. However good information to have.