Picture-A-Week 2022 - Week 19

Pictures taken between Monday, May 9 and Sunday, May 15

Still May. May photos please!

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

Aren't before and after photos wonderful? In a word, no. I hate to take the before component because those images usually showcase some sort of disaster or neglect that was bad enough to inspire one to work towards a more attractive or functional after state. This week’s photo is an exception to my rule for a couple of reasons. First, the before state wasn’t a victim of neglect or a disaster but simply a location we identified as a good space for some additional storage. Secondly, this and other interruptions kept me from spending any time with a camera. So, instead of some grand scenery or a swath of beautiful flowers, this week’s image is the photographic equivalent of “the dog ate my homework”.

The Price of Progress

695334290_2022-19ThePriceofProgress.thumb.jpg.07df957cedc172c79b0e0a4edeb276f5.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

Short trip to the wetlands Saturday, cut short by a violent thunderstorm...I got back in my car and drove home about 10 miles south, and a few minutes after pulling into my garage, we had 2 inches of rain drop in 30 minutes, 800 lightning strikes, and winds around 65MPH.  Neighbor's screen over his pool shredded, and a tree knocked over in my backyard.  Funny, it was perfectly sunny and nice earlier that same day...that's Florida for you!

This big wildflower grows heartily in the wetlands in the summer - called a scarlet rose mallow hibiscus:

original.jpg

A female downy woodpecker looking for grubs:

original.jpg

An osprey on lookout on a dead tree, seemed to be staring at something in the distance with some intensity:

original.jpg

A cattle egret minding over its nest of growing chicks, having a sibling fight in the background:

original.jpg

A moorhen chick standing alone (actually, mom was just a few feet away):

original.jpg

A wood stork drying out on a small pond apple tree after a bath:

original.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 6:34 AM, pierces said:

Aren't before and after photos wonderful? In a word, no. I hate to take the before component because those images usually showcase some sort of disaster or neglect that was bad enough to inspire one to work towards a more attractive or functional after state. This week’s photo is an exception to my rule for a couple of reasons. First, the before state wasn’t a victim of neglect or a disaster but simply a location we identified as a good space for some additional storage. Secondly, this and other interruptions kept me from spending any time with a camera. So, instead of some grand scenery or a swath of beautiful flowers, this week’s image is the photographic equivalent of “the dog ate my homework”.

The Price of Progress

695334290_2022-19ThePriceofProgress.thumb.jpg.07df957cedc172c79b0e0a4edeb276f5.jpg

Dave

I thought I would post the "after". It took longer than I anticipated because...reasons. We're getting close to having enough storage between adding this and tossing a bunch of crap found while deciding what to store in the new space.

PXL_20220603_203459810.thumb.jpg.976bc0e7b396e7ea20ae654445241c02.jpg

Moving on to the next project.

Dave

• Like 2