Does Saga have "themed" formal nights.

Windsurfboy

Does Saga have themed formal nights , as for example Cunard have, black&white , roaring 20s , red and gold   ...

Asking as my wife is wondering what dresses to pack for the forthcoming Eastern Mediterranean Oddyssey.  I  presume in 32 nights should be 5 or 6 formal nights. Hopefully a special occasion for the Jubilee .

Thanks

We have been on Saga cruises , including recently, where the crew have decorated the dining room for Hallowe’en, St Andrew’s Day, Valentine’s Day etc but have never encountered events where the passengers dressed up. There have been events such as a Spanish fiesta in decorated outdoor dining areas where the waiters dressed up but again not the passengers.

Further to my above post, I would add that a lot seems to depend on the enterprise and enthusiasm of the particular cruise director as to whether or not (and to what extent) special events take place. Also rough seas tend to cause events to be more low key.

With regard to formal nights, it is left up to individuals to make what they wish of them. Those who enjoy dressing up do so, others do the minimum required.

On 5/10/2022 at 10:28 PM, Kohima said:

Further to my above post, I would add that a lot seems to depend on the enterprise and enthusiasm of the particular cruise director as to whether or not (and to what extent) special events take place. Also rough seas tend to cause events to be more low key.

With regard to formal nights, it is left up to individuals to make what they wish of them. Those who enjoy dressing up do so, others do the minimum required.

Do they have anything like a tropical night at all?

On 5/10/2022 at 10:10 PM, Glenndale said:

No. Formal nights on Saga are pretty much none events, not even a cocktail party.

That was the case on my recent (and first) Saga ocean cruise. Apart from a slightly more elaborate menu and an additional sorbet course it was pretty much the same as any other evening, apart from the fact that most people were wearing black tie. Several of my dining companions commented that they did not see the point of it, others commented that in normal "non covid" times there would have been some special function such as the captain's reception. Presumably these will resume once normal life onboard returns.

That was certainly a Covid situation.

Outside of the pandemic, first formal night is Captain's cocktail and welcome aboard party, last formal night is Captain's cocktail and farewell party.

Just remember when those delicious little canapes are being brought round (more than once) eating too many will spoil the dinner. I speak from experience - I cannot resist the spring rolls.

On a 5 night cruise with only 1 formal night, Captain called it the Hello and Goodbye cocktail party (still with the canapes).

Other formal nights may include a cocktail party for Britannia Club members and one for New to Saga.

Then special formal nights , such as Hogmany, to Address the Haggis before it is piped around the ship.

As above, the Pandemic threw this all into disarray, but as things ease off, they will surely be back.

Even before Covid, there has never been anything similar to the themed Formals that Cunard put on in the Queens Room or even

P&O themes. I realise the lack of Cocktail parties can be laid at Covid’s door. 

No, never a themed formal night.

Originally, dinner was  single seating and all in the main dining room, so even without a theme or a party, formal nights felt special; even those of us who moaned about dressing up donned the attire and with everybody dressed up to some degree, and everybody eating in the same place at the same time, it very much felt like a special occasion, with or without a party.

As extra restaurants and freedom dining came in, formal nights felt less and less special and more and more like the non-event that Denarius commented on (especially when so many decamp to the Grill in order to avoid formal).

Formal nights where formal attire is almost optional is a half measure that does not really satisfy anyone - not the people who would prefer to stay smart-casual every night, and not the people who regard formal nights as a part of the cruise experience.

For choice we have dinner in Grill, not the MDR, and (along with a significant number of others) we do dress up on formal nights. Quite often those in smart casual are seated elsewhere in the Grill. However, even in the MDR, formal wear for some people is not as formal as on some other cruise lines and can verge on smart casual.

17 hours ago, david05 said:

For choice we have dinner in Grill, not the MDR, and (along with a significant number of others) we do dress up on formal nights. Quite often those in smart casual are seated elsewhere in the Grill. However, even in the MDR, formal wear for some people is not as formal as on some other cruise lines and can verge on smart casual.

Could this be because other lines in Saga's market sector - such as Viking, Oceania and Azamara - do not have formal nights. And people used to sailing with them may, whilst they are prepared to conform out of courtesy to their fellow passengers do so in as casual a manner as possible.

• Like 3

On 5/14/2022 at 2:48 PM, Denarius said:

Could this be because other lines in Saga's market sector - such as Viking, Oceania and Azamara - do not have formal nights. And people used to sailing with them may, whilst they are prepared to conform out of courtesy to their fellow passengers do so in as casual a manner as possible.

That would certainly be my way of doing it, if we ever decide to desert Viking.  I'd bring one plain black dress for the formal evenings.