Port Times on Star Flyer Cruises

donaldsc

I am going to be doing a couple of Star Flyer Greek cruises.  I am trying to arrange some independent tours but I can't seem to find the arrival and departure times for the ports that we will be visiting.  Is that because you just can't be certain on a sailboat or is Clipper Lines just being difficult.

DON

Relax. Ports on Star Clipper's itinterarys are usually small. So there is plenty of time to visit the ports and even the surroundings. Most on your cruises are small islands. So it doesn't matter, if the ship arrives half an hour earlier or later.

Arrival times are always pending on pilot's availbility. They often using simple fishing boats, and fishermen are not always on time. Also take some some time into counting for tendering, if the ship will be at anchor. There is still enough time for everything.

If hiring a professional local guide in advance on your own, they usually have their focus on the actual arrival and departure times. (If not, I would suggest to choose another guide!)

Once again: Relax and enjoy. Only the times for muster drill (and the check-out time, of course) are fixed and mandatory. All other (where, when and what) is depending on weather, waves, wind, local authority's decisions and your own preferences. I am sure that you will have a great time on board as well as on shore.

Just returned from our 10th Star Clipper sailing on the Star Flyer.  They do not post port times.  Even when you get on the ship, port times are not stated in advance.  Once on board, at least on the Star Flyer, the best way to figure it out is to check the massage schedule in the Library. It had the port times on it so people would know when to schedule a massage.  Also, check the excursion book in the library.

Doing third party excursions is kind of shaky, due to factors listed in above post.  If you do book third parties, know the companies' cancellation policies.  This past cruise , we had a tender that wouldn't lock for lifting for quite awhile before being fixed, and a big boat show in one port that required us to tender from pretty far out instead of docking.

In the past, we have called and asked for the schedule and the agent provided.  Of course, everything is subject to change.  For the most part, the schedule was fairly accurate with a few exceptions on a 14 day sail during COVID.

I guess that if the arrival times are indefinite can I at least assume that the departure times will be  more definite.  I know that in some parts of the world it is easy to pick up a tour or maybe a taxi tour at the dock.  Does picking up a tour at the dock also work on the Greek Islands.  My problem or I should say my worry is that most of the tours listed on the Clipper WEB site appear to be bus tours.  The problem that I have w bus tours is that they are too regimented and one or two slowpoke people on the bus mess it up for everyone else.

DON

It was easy to pick up a tour/taxi ride in the Greek islands.  Some of the SC tours were cancelled on our last voyage because not enough people signed up--we only had 60 passengers the last week.  Also, the passengers on SC tend to be very well travelled with many Europeans.  A lot of them had already visited the places where tours were offered.  We just did our own thing and had most lunches onshore enjoying the local environment.  Research the ports beforehand.

On 5/13/2022 at 1:25 AM, donaldsc said:

I guess that if the arrival times are indefinite can I at least assume that the departure times will be  more definite.  I know that in some parts of the world it is easy to pick up a tour or maybe a taxi tour at the dock.  Does picking up a tour at the dock also work on the Greek Islands.  My problem or I should say my worry is that most of the tours listed on the Clipper WEB site appear to be bus tours.  The problem that I have w bus tours is that they are too regimented and one or two slowpoke people on the bus mess it up for everyone else.

DON

Typically, you will get an agenda a few weeks before your cruise with tentative arrival/departure times for each port.  Usually, the larger stops (like Mykonos) will have evening departures, giving you more time ashore for nightlife.  Smaller islands will be earlier & you dine onboard.

The wind, along with how busy the port is, may change these times.  We usually had 24 hours notice if it was going to change.

A choice of excursions will be offered a few days before each stop.  They usually are by bus.

If you want a private tour, I'd book ahead of time & just be you can start it when you dock, not at a specific time.  You'll see more in a shorter time.

If you don't need the guide, hiring a taxi for the day @ the dock is very reasonable & can bring you to multiple stops.  Some drivers will be very helpful, some won't speak much English.

For the smaller islands, we love renting our own vehicle (can often do an ATV/side-by-side) and explore on our own.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2022 at 12:50 PM, mapsd said:

Typically, you will get an agenda a few weeks before your cruise with tentative arrival/departure times for each port.  Usually, the larger stops (like Mykonos) will have evening departures, giving you more time ashore for nightlife.  Smaller islands will be earlier & you dine onboard.

The wind, along with how busy the port is, may change these times.  We usually had 24 hours notice if it was going to change.

A choice of excursions will be offered a few days before each stop.  They usually are by bus.

If you want a private tour, I'd book ahead of time & just be you can start it when you dock, not at a specific time.  You'll see more in a shorter time.

If you don't need the guide, hiring a taxi for the day @ the dock is very reasonable & can bring you to multiple stops.  Some drivers will be very helpful, some won't speak much English.

For the smaller islands, we love renting our own vehicle (can often do an ATV/side-by-side) and explore on our own.  

deleted.  Posted as a new topic.

DON

Edited by donaldsc