Alaska recommendations for "easy" camera

I'm going to Alaska for the first time in a month and just got a new cell phone, partly for the camera, the galaxy S22+.  At first glance I am very impressed with it, especially its ability to take good pics in the dark and to zoom more than I'm used to (my previous phone was S9+).  But, I always like to have a back up camera if I go on a trip like this, and this seems like a special enough trip that I might want to invest in a new "real" camera.  I have zero experience with fancy lenses and big cameras.  What types of cameras would you recommend?  I'm willing for it to be bigger than the cell phone but not super huge, as I'd like to bring it to port.  I've relied on my cell phones for almost all of my photos and videos since 2014 so this is a big departure for me.  But the old cameras we have at home already just don't seem good enough.  If my cell phone stays operational I think the main reason I'd use an alternate is to zoom in really well.  

3 minutes ago, Kitty Ellas Mom said:

I'm going to Alaska for the first time in a month and just got a new cell phone, partly for the camera, the galaxy S22+.  At first glance I am very impressed with it, especially its ability to take good pics in the dark and to zoom more than I'm used to (my previous phone was S9+).  But, I always like to have a back up camera if I go on a trip like this, and this seems like a special enough trip that I might want to invest in a new "real" camera.  I have zero experience with fancy lenses and big cameras.  What types of cameras would you recommend?  I'm willing for it to be bigger than the cell phone but not super huge, as I'd like to bring it to port.  I've relied on my cell phones for almost all of my photos and videos since 2014 so this is a big departure for me.  But the old cameras we have at home already just don't seem good enough.  If my cell phone stays operational I think the main reason I'd use an alternate is to zoom in really well.  

I purchased DW a bridge camera, which is a series of options between point & shoots and DSLR/mirrorless. Since I use Canons, we stuck with that brand. The Powershot SX70HS gets good reviews, but they also have older models and other brands also have many options. 

• Like 1

I will second the suggestion of a "bridge" camera.

Another one to look at is the Panasonic FZ300 - it is broadly similar to the Canon [long zoom range, image stabilization, 4k video features] but adds weather sealing - useful for rainy days and small boat excursions.

All the cameras in this category have intelligent auto mode, 'scene' modes - and if you need them, other exposure modes and overrides.

The only 'must have' accessory I can think of is a spare battery

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 3:47 PM, TheOldBear said:

The only 'must have' accessory I can think of is a spare battery

If the camera does not come with a battery charger and the battery can be charged in the camera then it is a good idea to get also a separate battery charger, so you can charge the spare battery while using the other battery in camera.

I do also think a bridge camera could be the best bet for this sort of trip, a long reaching zoom would be especially very useful if you want to take pictures of wildlife. My first choice suggestion in this category would be Sony RX10 IV, but it is rather expensive camera model, although then that camera provides quite a lot features that competing cameras do not offer, most importantly very fast and accurate autofocus.

Bridge camera and stick with the automatic settings. I've been to AK 6 times and always took a bridge camera for those really long shots and for taking pictures of eagles.  I use two settings, automatic and sport.  I got some really nice pictures of the glaciers on a moving train train going from Anchorage to Seward using the sport setting.  I upgraded to the Panasonic FZ80 since that picture was taken.P1000266.thumb.JPG.528942efce606c9d91e78bf8f0cce184.JPG

• Like 2

Sony has two great cameras for this purpose, but they are pricey - the RX-100 series, which is a small, pocket camera, and the RX-10 series, which has much long reach, but is bigger. There are several versions of each, with the newest models running over 1,000. Worth it if it's worth it to you:) Another solid option is the Panasonic ZS100 or ZS200, the 200 having a longer lens, the 100 being a bit better in lower light. Both will give you much better pictures of far away things than your cellphone, but are smaller cameras so you'll bring them everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Mirrorless or a Bridge camera are probably the best options. Bridge because it is all in one, but could sacrifice on image quality. Mirrorless if you are willing to invest in the lenses needed for an Alaskan cruise. Used work just as good as new and you can save a ton. You just need to determine which features you need. I chose m43 for price, features, and weight. Software solved the noise problems with the smaller sensor which makes the savings that much better.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is too late for OP but for me a place like Alaska requires an ultrawide, especially for the pictures that I love to take. This would mean a mirrorless or DSLR, something with interchangeable lenses.

Actually it's not too late b/c I had to cancel my cruise;  we had a death in the family.  Now I have plenty of time to plan for a camera for whenever I get to go to Alaska, unfortunately.  This is definitely an area where I will do a lot of research b/c I found trying to choose one at the last minute to be difficult.  When I still thought I was going we went to Best Buy and looked things over and almost bought a Nikon Coolpix with a 60x zoom, b/c zoom was mostly what I was lacking with my camera phone.  However, we weren't able to order one b/c it was sold out pretty much everywhere.  We settled on my taking an older Nikon Coolpix we already had which has a 40x zoom.  Now that I have more time I will consider a higher grade camera and spending more time getting to know it.