Looking for hints of room extras to bring.

jessinphilly

This is our first Viking cruise and Viking Ocean cruise and I was wondering what, if any, extra things we should bring to make our room more serviceable and comfortable. For example, we have brought magnets with hooks, extra clothesline, clip to hang by door for papers etc. Do people have a list of what they like to bring? I would love any ideas that you may have. We are on a London to Bergen Midnight Sun trip June 17th. Thank you in advance!

I have always been intrigued by the idea of the magnets.  We pack so lightly that we had plenty of space in our room for everything without having to bring extra items.  The clothesline in the shower was plenty, there is free laundry service.  

For a trip to a cooler clime, where you are headed, the hooks for coats might be nice.  

• Like 3

We brought magnet clips, and put the daily schedule up near the door each day.

Being a longtime Nespresso user, I brought my own favorite coffee pods; the machines in the staterooms use the original pods, not the Vertuo. I also travel with one of my favorite espresso cups--don't like drinking espresso from large cups.

I also found some lanyards (on Amazon) with clear plastic sleeves, into which we slipped our room key cards; since we had to wear contact tracers, we also put those on the same lanyards. The key cards work from within the plastic sleeves.

• Like 3

No need for more clothesline.  Yes on the magnet clips to keep paperwork where you can see it. Magnet hooks are also handy.  Extra Ziplock bags for sure, and we bring our own travel mugs and water bottles because we want bigger drinking containers.  We also bring beach towel chair clips as we like to put towels on the chairs when sitting on the veranda.  Some sort of laundry bag is also handy if you're going to do laundry, and I bring dryer sheets. Because I am a germaphobe, I bring pillow covers. 

Instead of, or in addition to magnets the 3M Command Strips work well for attaching to the bulkheads. Over the door shoe rack for DW.

We also print the daily calendar and post each day's copy on the bulkhead.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

J of JD always travels with a champagne bottle stopper, but has learned recently that one may actually be available in the stateroom...will investigate and confirm...

I've never seen one; there are wine openers though.

1 hour ago, JDincalif said:

J of JD always travels with a champagne bottle stopper, but has learned recently that one may actually be available in the stateroom...will investigate and confirm...

Champagne bottle stopper?

2 hours ago, JDincalif said:

As a friend of mine used to say, when he was nightly consuming 8-packs of Zima and blindly stumbling to bed, "Alcohol is sold in the quantities it's meant to be consumed."

He's better now though. 🙂

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, rizello said:

I have always been intrigued by the idea of the magnets.  We pack so lightly that we had plenty of space in our room for everything without having to bring extra items.  The clothesline in the shower was plenty, there is free laundry service.  

For a trip to a cooler clime, where you are headed, the hooks for coats might be nice.  

there is not FREE laundry service for every category of cabins.  There are FREE laundry facilities for you to do your own wash.  HUGE difference!

• Like 7

12 hours ago, deec said:

there is not FREE laundry service for every category of cabins.  There are FREE laundry facilities for you to do your own wash.  HUGE difference!

@deec. This is totally off topic here - sorry all.  But I saw your name as i was looking through old posts about South America.  I am specifically looking for info on Vikings Caribbean & Amazon cruises that they ran in 2019 and 2020 - the Amazon portion.  If you are willing to share, please PM me (lorna dot tomko at gmail dot com)

• Like 1

We bring a shoe bag with clear pockets to hang on the bathroom door. That’s where we keep sunglasses, phones, sunscreen, hairbrush, etc.. Clearly visible but out of the way. 

• Like 1

On 5/13/2022 at 6:16 PM, JDincalif said:

There wasn’t one in our room but I asked a bartender for one and received it. Since the champagne isn’t very good, we use it only for mimosas so a bottle lasts at least two days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

on our last trip we needed many layering choices....we went from about 60degrees S to 60degrees N....bathing suits to boots and mittens!   A rack with multiple hooks for over the bathroom door the perfect solution.!  the wall was also covered with magnets and our suitcases doubled as sliding drawer under the bed.  DVs do have limited storage but we had never needed so many differing clothes choices!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a iPad, tablet, cell phone, I like to bring a longer cable(6 ft instead of 3 ft) to plug into the USB port to recharge & use the device while in bed.   I prefer using liquid hand soap to wash my hands so I bring an empty pump bottle & fill it w/ the liquid body soap.