Seabourn Ovation Formal Dress

badnews523

The last few Seabourn cruises my DH has worn a sport coat, button down shirt and tie, nice slacks and shoes. Our last cruise, a 2 week Caribbean on Seabourn, he brought 2 ties and never wore them. We counted two men in tuxes and a few in suits and ties. We were booked for the first 2 segments of the 2023 WC and he was going to dress up a bit, to the level of a suit and tie. Might dress up a bit more if we went over New Years. For our 2023 NZ to Bali he is packing a sports coat, nice shirt, slacks and no tie. I agree, to each their own.

Edited by travelwell

I think everyone has a different take on this.  If packing to travel to another continent was not so difficult in terms of weight (we take only one suitcase each with one carry on each), my husband would pack a tux as well as a white dinner jacket.  We try to pack versatile clothing that will be worn quite a few times.  While Mr. SLSD has packed his tux for cruises and has packed his dark suit as well, he has found  that if he takes two sports coats (one navy blue, one patterned but still dark and conservative) as well as dress shirts, a pair of dress pants, and several bow ties, he is well dressed and comfortable for any evening's dinner.  My husband likes to wear a coat and tie every night for dinner unless we are dining on the deck around the pool.  I understand that there are those who would criticize him for not bringing his tux.  He could do that, but would have to leave behind clothing that he wears more often on the cruise.  

Post number 2 answered the original question.  And since everyone has to add their thoughts.....

Hubby and I wear close to matching outfits for dinner and observation bar.   Sometimes dressed up with matching ties, but never anything less than nice jackets every evening.    Reality is less formal wear for men has been evolving quickly downhill.   We are boarding with one jacket each this week and plan maybe only two nights of dress up.

19 minutes ago, SLSD said:

I understand that there are those who would criticize him for not bringing his tux.

I don't think anyone would criticize anyone for not bringing a tux on a Seaborn cruise. A dark suit fits within the cruise line's suggested attire for formal optional nights, and as others have noted, even a nice sport coat will suffice. On warm climate cruises, like the Caribbean or the Med in summer, there are even fewer tuxes and suits, and more sport coats; on a holiday cruise at Christmas and New Years, there will be more tuxes, but it's still not required nor worn by everyone. Like Mr. SLSD, I find a sport jacket and suit provide me versatile options for many nights, and because of the weight limit of two suitcases, I do not also pack a tux. But for people who have a tux, who like to dress up and wear it, and who don't have a luggage weight problem, it's of course fine to bring and wear; it's just not expected for all men to be wearing a tux. 

56 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I don't think anyone would criticize anyone for not bringing a tux on a Seaborn cruise. A dark suit fits within the cruise line's suggested attire for formal optional nights, and as others have noted, even a nice sport coat will suffice. On warm climate cruises, like the Caribbean or the Med in summer, there are even fewer tuxes and suits, and more sport coats; on a holiday cruise at Christmas and New Years, there will be more tuxes, but it's still not required nor worn by everyone. Like Mr. SLSD, I find a sport jacket and suit provide me versatile options for many nights, and because of the weight limit of two suitcases, I do not also pack a tux. But for people who have a tux, who like to dress up and wear it, and who don't have a luggage weight problem, it's of course fine to bring and wear; it's just not expected for all men to be wearing a tux. 

It's not a weight limit that concerns us--it's the actual lugging the suitcases around.  Yes, we could hire help (sometimes) but not always.  We've had some dire circumstances in airports (Vancouver--we are looking at you). We could use Luggage Forward (never mind the horror stories) .  We like to travel as light as possible and still be as well dressed as possible.  Mr. SLSD is not one of those men who doesn't want to wear a tux, a dinner jacket, or a suit--he is just trying to be efficient and still well dressed.  

Edited by SLSD

46 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

For some time, I have been daring my DH to bring a tux from a quick-fashion source such as Alain du Petit and just leave it behind when we return:  https://alaindupetit.com/collections/tuxedos.   

Why not 🙂? Having fun with fashion especially with a bit of colour is a good thing. I remember one gentleman who wore a gorgeous brocade print jacket with black trousers and he looked wonderful.

My luggage weight/lugging the suitcase around solution is pretty simple. I wear my sport coat on the plane. Upon boarding, I take it off, give it to the flight attendant to hang up. Most sport coats go amazingly well with jeans so I fly in comfort. 
I’m sure there are many reasons this wouldn’t work for those that don’t want to dress up, but it works well for me. 

2 hours ago, labonnevie said:

My luggage weight/lugging the suitcase around solution is pretty simple. I wear my sport coat on the plane. Upon boarding, I take it off, give it to the flight attendant to hang up. Most sport coats go amazingly well with jeans so I fly in comfort. 
I’m sure there are many reasons this wouldn’t work for those that don’t want to dress up, but it works well for me. 

My husband does this as well.  He always wears a  sports coat when he flies.  And brings another in his suitcase. 

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 2

On 5/17/2022 at 9:28 AM, rucrazy said:

David has always wanted a white dinner jacket, but I am having a lot of trouble finding one of quality... may I inquire as to where you got yours?

Sorry for the delay re my white dinner jacket.

About 25 years ago, I was cast as the leading man in 'South Pacific'. The costumer said I needed to wear a dinner jacket for a few scenes, and said they would reimburse me if I could find a well fitting one.

I lived in the Boston area at the time and went to a high end second-hand store in Cambridge, Ma and found one that felt (and still does) like wearing butter. If I recall it was ...$20. And it still looks and feels wonderful. ... Just looked for a label, and there was none. So it may have been custom made.

So, I'm so sorry, fellow Seabourn cruiser, that I could be of no help!

Peter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, petern6827 said:

Sorry for the delay re my white dinner jacket.

About 25 years ago,

Thanks.....25 years ago when quality was a way of life....I get it.....

Appreciate the response.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, rucrazy said:

25 years ago when quality was a way of life....I get it....

Oh, you mean back when we couldn't ask questions and share information with friends and people we had never met via an online forum... I get it. 😉 

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, cruiseej said:
17 hours ago, rucrazy said:

25 years ago when quality was a way of life....I get it....

Oh, you mean back when we couldn't ask questions and share information with friends and people we had never met via an online forum.

Nah back when quality was more than a marketing term! LOL 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SDuckers said:

This thread makes me think of the old Downton Abbey episode where Lord Grantham was criticized for being "casual" for wearing his tux to dinner rather than white tie and dinner jacket.  LOL

Quit right too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I often feel as if the anti tux lobby overload this site too encourage dress down! Our last two cruises (August 2021 around Greek islands and November 2021 in Caribbean) both had a good turnout with tux and lounge suits, certainly over 50%. So, I would say dress as you feel comfortable -  you cannot be overdressed, but will be noticed if you are underdressed!

Well said Baz and well observed.

I will be taking two tuxedos on my August trip I will also take a suit and ties and jackets.

You can never be overdressed if the suit fits properly and feels comfortable.

It is easy to be scruffy and not bother about your appearance.

A Gentleman should always make an effort and compliment his wife or partner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2022 at 8:52 AM, Baz-t said:

you cannot be overdressed, but will be noticed if you are underdressed!

Reminds me of the old saying … "when you lay down with pigs ... the pigs love it and all you get is dirty"

• Like 1

This has been such an informative thread.  I thank you all for your comments - sincere or in jest, pithy or verbose - all have been useful and have absolutely aided our decision about which ship we'll board next winter.   

• Like 1

On 5/14/2022 at 5:24 PM, markham said:

"I always cruise with dinner jackets and sometimes both black and white depending on how far south and north we sail."

Yes indeed!

I was recently explaining to a co-worker why I take three formal wear suites on a cruise. When I mentioned the noth/south latitude formal wear customs, she looked at me like I had a third eye in my forehead.

• Like 2

Just thinking about packing for an upcoming Alaska trip. The need for layers, waterproof shoes, gloves, hats etc etc. came to mind. Something will have to give to be able to stick to the two carry-on rule so out went the jacket. Shirt/pants and I'm good for the MDR. Only one formal night and I won't be missed. 😉

20 minutes ago, Dusko said:

Just thinking about packing for an upcoming Alaska trip. The need for layers, waterproof shoes, gloves, hats etc etc. came to mind. Something will have to give to be able to stick to the two carry-on rule so out went the jacket. Shirt/pants and I'm good for the MDR. Only one formal night and I won't be missed. 😉

Wear a blazer on your flight and you will be all set for any eventuality.  And a tie is easy to pack.  I would just hate to see someone miss out dining anywhere at any time.  Just a suggestion.  I see a jacket as such a staple in a man's wardrobe.  I truly do not understand  the aversion to taking/wearing one.  We've done Alaska on SB and yes, took the layers, gloves, hats--and packed light.  My husband took two jackets, two dress shirts, dress pants and ties.  It all fit into his bag! I'm not even suggesting a tux--just a navy blazer and or/conservative sport coat.  There is laundry service available!

You might enjoy this article:  https://emilypost.com/advice/attire-guide-dress-codes-from-casual-to-white-tie

Edited by SLSD
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I see a jacket as such a staple in a man's wardrobe.

It used to be, but times have changed. We go out to many nice restaurants, and I wear a sport jacket on occasion, but it's pretty rare nowadays. I'd say that 8, maybe 9, out of the last 10 times I've worn a sport jacket have been on a cruise!

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

I truly do not understand the aversion to taking/wearing one.

For some, it's having worn this type of clothing to work 5 days a week for decades and now being free of such dress rules. For me, It's generally about packing space/weight, not about being anti-jacket or anti-suit. 

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

Wear a blazer on your flight and you will be all set for any eventuality.

This is definitely a good idea, as it solves the luggage issue. But I've found that depending where we are flying to and from, it's not always a practical. For instance, when we're flying from our home in the winter, I prefer something warmer for getting from the airport parking lot to the shuttle van to the airport, so I'll often wear a fleece jacket. That can be comfortable on a plane, but not when we land in a tropical destination, but the fleece can be scrunched up and squeezed into the carry-on. A sport jacket wouldn't be asm warm in the cold climate, and I wouldn't want to stuff it into an already-crowded bag in the hot climate. So in these instances, I pack the sport jacket in our packed luggage. In the case of going to Alaska, @Dusko seems to want to travel with only two carry on bags, so is probably already planning to wear a fleece or outer jacket needed in Alaska — so wearing a sport jacket as well may not be practical.

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

My husband took two jackets, two dress shirts, dress pants and ties.  It all fit into his bag!

And jeans, waterproof/water-resistant pants, long and short sleeve t-shirts, sweater(s), underwear, socks, belts, outer jacket, gloves, hat, and one or two pair of shoes (dress shoes, walking shoes/sneakers)… Obviously, this is all do-able, but it can be tricky. 😉 (I'd never be able to do it just using a carry on; I'm usually up against the 50-pound limit for a checked bag! Although that includes a sport jacket and possibly a suit.)

We have gone on two Alaskan cruises and I never had a problem including at least a sport coat (worn on the plane). If you want to bring one, it’s really not hard to make it work. If you don’t want to bring one, it becomes impossible to fit it in.