One pair of shoes?

21 hours ago, Janie1229 said:

@Mum2Mercury I agree with your thoughts on number of shoes and styles. I travel with pretty much that exact number and style. I also have plantar fasciitis and it is better but I am careful to wear good insoles and I always wear dressy shoes that are either wedge or platform, that seems to work for me. 

Great minds, maybe?  

Yes, I find that wedges typically fit "my rules"; and as long as I follow "my rules", my feet are fine -- no flare ups. 

17 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Partly because my feet are small and they don't take up much room

Yes, being the size of a large child makes it a little easier to pack light.  

I'm always kinda surprised when I pack my husband's shoes -- they're almost twice the bulk of mine.  

8 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Great minds, maybe?  

Yes, I find that wedges typically fit "my rules"; and as long as I follow "my rules", my feet are fine -- no flare ups. 

We might want to start a club ... women who have figured out the hard way exactly what their feet need ... what their feet INSIST ON ... and we could spread the word.  If you make a note of the rules your feet dictate, you can get along just fine.  A 'normal' friend of mine spent some time trying to convince me that there were boots out there that I could wear comfortably.  Not in a million years!  Now I have a response to those who wish to 'help me'.  "My feet have rules, they are not to be broken."

2 minutes ago, jsn55 said:

We might want to start a club ... women who have figured out the hard way exactly what their feet need ... what their feet INSIST ON ... and we could spread the word.  If you make a note of the rules your feet dictate, you can get along just fine.  A 'normal' friend of mine spent some time trying to convince me that there were boots out there that I could wear comfortably.  Not in a million years!  Now I have a response to those who wish to 'help me'.  "My feet have rules, they are not to be broken."

I understand this. Every single friend of mine has bought me a mascara.  No, my eyes are going to water so just quit!  

as a former runner I learned that bad shoes hurt more than feet, they hurt hips and knees.  Find good shoes and don’t wear them past their prime. 

• Like 2

On 6/23/2022 at 9:05 PM, Mary229 said:

as a former runner I learned that bad shoes hurt more than feet, they hurt hips and knees. 

My daughter, who is a nurse, says that if you don't take care of your feet, soon your ankles and knees will go, then it'll be your hips.  And then it's your mobility -- and, once gone, it's near-impossible to regain.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2022 at 9:00 PM, jsn55 said:

Yep, and your rules may not be the same as mine.  My rules -- no particular order, ALL must be obeyed: 

- Good arch support 

- A cupped heel bed /no flat sandals 

- A little bit of rise to the heel /even 1/2 inch is enough, but not a flat shoe

- If it's a flip-flop, the straps must be "high on the foot" nearing the ankle, not down by the toes 

If I find a flat tennis shoe (like Vans) or a loafer that doesn't fit the rules, I can slip in my custom-made arch support, and they work.  But this only works for "enclosed" shoes.  Not sandals or strappy heels. 

I can occasionally wear heels to church or dinner -- you know, when I'm going to walk in and sit down 99% of the time.  But if I were to wear them for any real time /any real walking, I'd pay.  Pay in pain.  

• Like 1

i've been experimenting with shoes to take with me for my month in Europe.  I absolutely cannot wear wedges or a heel.  I can't wear flip flops.  All due to major damage to my left ankle that has left me with some nerve damage and lack of total movement.  sigh.

I bought a pair of Olu Kai sneakers - the Pehulea Li in White.  it has turned out to be super comfortable to my left foot.  A good insole in there that i can take out and put in my own insole if i want.  One of the cool features is the heel.  It's a comfy, kind of neoprene-like heel piece.  It conforms to the back of my foot and doesn't have any pieces to rub.  AND, it folds down to convert the shoe into a really cool slide!!!  It's like 2 shoes in one.  The top and sides of the shoe is a mesh to keep things cool and it won't mind the rain.   I picked up a pair of these because I bought a pair of their hi-tops to wear a work all Winter and i LOVED them.  

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

i've been experimenting with shoes to take with me for my month in Europe.  I absolutely cannot wear wedges or a heel.  I can't wear flip flops.  All due to major damage to my left ankle that has left me with some nerve damage and lack of total movement.  sigh.

I bought a pair of Olu Kai sneakers - the Pehulea Li in White.  it has turned out to be super comfortable to my left foot.  A good insole in there that i can take out and put in my own insole if i want.  One of the cool features is the heel.  It's a comfy, kind of neoprene-like heel piece.  It conforms to the back of my foot and doesn't have any pieces to rub.  AND, it folds down to convert the shoe into a really cool slide!!!  It's like 2 shoes in one.  The top and sides of the shoe is a mesh to keep things cool and it won't mind the rain.   I picked up a pair of these because I bought a pair of their hi-tops to wear a work all Winter and i LOVED them.  

I’ve been wondering how comfortable  Olukai sneakers are.  Thanks for the review!

2 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

I’ve been wondering how comfortable  Olukai sneakers are.  Thanks for the review!

I've worn the lows for one day wandering around shopping.  no complaints.  just be aware that, being mesh on the top, once in awhile a toe catches.  no biggie.   As for the high-tops; I LOVE them!!  i wore them almost everyday this winter at work and on my days off.   I run around a lot at work, so they got a good workout.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I've worn the lows for one day wandering around shopping.  no complaints.  just be aware that, being mesh on the top, once in awhile a toe catches.  no biggie.   As for the high-tops; I LOVE them!!  i wore them almost everyday this winter at work and on my days off.   I run around a lot at work, so they got a good workout.  

How is the arch support?  I have really high arches, and that is my one "rule".  I love the way these look!

The problem with shoe recommendations is that everyone's feet are different--what I can wear with comfort another person can't, and vice-versa.  I really can't buy shoes that I can't try on (like on the internet) unless I have bought the same exact shoe before.  

And even if shoes feel great in the store doesn't mean they will feel great after a long day of touring/walking, etc.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aungrl said:

How is the arch support?  I have really high arches, and that is my one "rule".  I love the way these look!

For me, it is fine.  The insole does have a bit of buildup at the arch.   But, all of the insoles are removeable so you can insert your own.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

The problem with shoe recommendations is that everyone's feet are different--what I can wear with comfort another person can't, and vice-versa.  I really can't buy shoes that I can't try on (like on the internet) unless I have bought the same exact shoe before.  

And even if shoes feel great in the store doesn't mean they will feel great after a long day of touring/walking, etc.  

You're right about shoe recommendations, but that's not a problem ... it's a positive.  Like you, I can only order shoes online if I already have a pair.  Occasionally a catalogue company will offer free shipping and returns.  Last time I ordered 9 pairs of shoes that looked possible (forget name of the company) and was able to keep six of them, a really helpful sale.  I walk around in them for a few days at home, using shower caps to protect the soles. Reading all the excellent suggestions on this topic gives us even more ammunition as we constantly seek footwear that fits our own personal 'rules'.  Love it!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2022 at 2:04 AM, ozzy77 said:

Just for laughs I will say don’t pack heals that you can’t walk in and end up like me 🤣😝🤦‍♀️

A8ABA552-70BE-4A45-862E-79D26614ECD9.jpeg

I love this photo! You are raising your son (?) not to take himself too seriously and to have fun!

PS I'm sure no one noticed the flipflops unless you pointed it out! I am saving some black Earth-shoe thong-sandals to take on my next cruise. 

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1