Light packers what do you pack?

I am light packer usually taking a book bag size Eddie Bauer backpack and a rolling carryon bag.  I am going to try the next trip with just the backpack since the trip includes flights, cruises and trains - the rolling bag was a pain at times the last time we did a trip that included trains.  I easily traveled to Acapulco for  2.5 months with just a backpack - but that was warm weather only.   This trip will be 3 months and includes hot humid weather as well as a day with an average high of 48F and everything between so layering is my friend.  We have free laundry on the cruise ship so that 33 days (which will include all our cold weather) I won’t need more than 2 of anything  since laundry from one day is returned the following day.  

I am wondering what other light packers pack to get an idea of whether or not I can make this work.   

I'll think of more later, but first thing I thought was that down will be your friend.  A light down jacket (an example is Patagonia's full zip down sweater').  That will more than work for your cold days, it's very lightweight and stuffs down to almost nothing.  I've used it a a travel pillow in a pinch.  Fleece is not yourt friend when trying to pack small and light.   

• Like 2

I'm not going to be able to answer your primary question, as I have not ever tried to pack that light. 

But if one of your main concerns is having the rolling carry-on on trains, I have a couple that are narrow and will fit down the narrow train aisles without bumping into everything. Rolling duffles (not too big) also work well in this regard. They are also small enough to fit on the racks above the seats, cutting out the worry about where to stow it and how to keep an eye on it.

Another thought I have is about layering. I've subscribed to the layering way of packing for many years. But I would suggest that rather than thinking about only needing 2 of anything, think about the climates you'll be spending the MOST time in and pack accordingly. Two tee-shirts for 3 months, for example, would make me feel pretty starved for variety if the majority of my time was going to be in temperate regions where I wasn't having to layer.

If you end up going with down, be sure it's waterproof. Unlike the poster above I tend to prefer fleece, and I have a fitness fleece jacket that rolls up and fits into my crossbody purse, so not really much of a room-taker. I always pair it with a lightweight waterproof (really waterproof, not just rain resistent) jacket that I can toss over the top. That way I'm covered for rainy days whether the temps are cool or warm.

Thanks for the input!   I have a longer jacket that is water resistant and a down jacket that folds into a small bag.  I agree those packable down jackets are wonderful. These two together have worked well for Antarctica, Alaska, Iceland, Greenland  and Norway and should be all I need for jackets this time. I usually leave fleece at home because it does tend to be bulky.  Cruisemom:  Do you mind sharing the fitness fleece jacket info with me?  Packable fleece could be a good option to add a cozy layer on the cold days. 

my issue with the rolling bag wasn’t the size, but rather finding a place for it during rush hour overly packed train rides and dealing with it going up and down stairs in a crowd.   The back pack can be held and doesn’t sit on the floor.  Even though we try to avoid that time of day we have ended up fighting rush hour a few times. It has been several years since we worked and we don’t think about the time until it is too late. 

1 hour ago, Wayfairers said:

Cruisemom:  Do you mind sharing the fitness fleece jacket info with me?  Packable fleece could be a good option to add a cozy layer on the cold days. 

LL Bean fitness fleece. It's their lightweight line; very comfortable but warm enough as a layer until you start getting into really chilly temps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those cool days buy super lightweight cashmere.  Usually sold as a shell or short sleeve sweater I wear them as an undershirt.   This allows me to have a single set of easy care blouses to cover all above freezing weather.  I just finished a cruise ranging from daytime highs of 85 down to daytime highs of 50.  I had a single set of blouses, a wind breaker and the above “undershirts” plus a good assortment of scarves/shawls.  If you can keep your head and neck warm you can stay warm. 

I bring panty hose to wear under my slacks for cool days 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:04 PM, Mary229 said:

For those cool days buy super lightweight cashmere.  Usually sold as a shell or short sleeve sweater I wear them as an undershirt.   This allows me to have a single set of easy care blouses to cover all above freezing weather.  I just finished a cruise ranging from daytime highs of 85 down to daytime highs of 50.  I had a single set of blouses, a wind breaker and the above “undershirts” plus a good assortment of scarves/shawls.  If you can keep your head and neck warm you can stay warm. 

Thanks.  Cashmere is something I haven’t considered.   That has to be dry cleaned doesn’t it?

7 hours ago, Wayfairers said:

Thanks.  Cashmere is something I haven’t considered.   That has to be dry cleaned doesn’t it?

Hand washing with a gentle wool cleanser is fine.  

• Like 2

On 5/27/2022 at 9:04 PM, Mary229 said:

I use the lightest weight silk underwear -- It keeps me warmer than pantyhose and doesn't take up much room in my suitcase. Also easy to hand wash if needed.

It's easier to layer tops than bottoms. Several times I've been very happy that I've had the silks. I use the bottoms much more often. But I learned early on that anything other than the lightest weight ones can lead one to overheat, especially when doing tours where you are both outdoors and indoors. Europeans notoriously overheat their public buildings in winter. Once in the Louvre I seriously thought I was going to pass out!

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I use the lightest weight silk underwear -- It keeps me warmer than pantyhose and doesn't take up much room in my suitcase. Also easy to hand wash if needed.

It's easier to layer tops than bottoms. Several times I've been very happy that I've had the silks. I use the bottoms much more often. But I learned early on that anything other than the lightest weight ones can lead one to overheat, especially when doing tours where you are both outdoors and indoors. Europeans notoriously overheat their public buildings in winter. Once in the Louvre I seriously thought I was going to pass out!

The silk ling johns also double as pjs. I’ve used them for many years. So much better than pantyhose 

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

A lot of Winter locations overheat buildings.  One of the reasons I wear a Tshirt or tank with a light shrug at work in the winter.  

I'd do the lightweight silks, too, if I wanted a base layer and wasn't used to cold weather.  I've never used a base layer here in the mountains, except with unlined ski pants.  One thing about that base layer - you can always duck into a restroom and take them off, or vise versa.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, slidergirl said:

One thing about that base layer - you can always duck into a restroom and take them off, or vise versa.  

Been there, done that. 🤣  But it's not always easy and not fun when that restroom is less than hygienic and you have to take off your shoes in order to get your pants off....  😳

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Been there, done that. 🤣  But it's not always easy and not fun when that restroom is less than hygienic and you have to take off your shoes in order to get your pants off....  😳

Apparently you haven't mastered the "one foot at a time" technique...😸

I was just having a discussion with my husband the other day about traveling to Europe and whether we'd need a checked bag. He seems to think he could not do it in carry-on luggage only. I think we could! Silk underwear, lightweight merino wool, etc. can make all the difference and you can wear the bulkiest jacket/sweater on the plane. 

However, if my husband insisted on a checked bag, I would probably do the same. Our checked luggage is only 25" and I would not do anything bigger. Any bigger than a 25" luggage runs the risk of overpacking, and being more difficult to handle. 

Edited by Janie1229
  • Like 1

@Janie1229  we often have the same discussion.  Cooler climates do require our 25 inch bag but then we leave behind one of the carryons, so we end up with 1:rolling carryon, one checked 25 inch and two day packs.  I have laid down the law and on our next 40 day tropical cruise it is two rolling carryons and 2 daypacks and a budget for laundry.  

• Like 3

On 6/2/2022 at 10:42 AM, jhsocal said:

Wear the most heavy shoes for the travel portion. how many types of footwear do you suggest?

No more than 3 pair, including the ones you wear.   one pair for your walking, one pair for evening, one pair for just casual.  if you need something for beach/water, get a thin pair of flip flops or casual shoes that can double.  

• Like 3

Agree with @slidergirl. Three pair: Walking (how sturdy depending on your excusions). Ship-wear (aka casual), and "evening" which for me is a light sandal (do not do "formal"). Also do not do water/beach, although I had acquired water sneakers for the long-cancelled So.Pac cruise of March 2020. They were going to take the place of trekking shoes!

I tried the one-shoe only, on my feet at Quito Ecuador when the heel fell off my mini-boot on the airplane gangway. Then I tried two-only to Alaska and the sole fell off my crosstrainers leaving me to complete the self-drive in Merrells Hemp Mocs (it worked out OK). Be sure to subject any shoe you are counting on to extreme inspection before the trip!

• Like 4

Glad we can discuss this in such a friendly manner😃.  I am leaving 2 weeks from Saturday for a cruise out of Barcelona and this thread is giving me some food for thought. I usually bring 4 or 5 pairs.........I don't think I can do 3 but maybe 4 this trip.  Or I should say I don't want to only bring 3?.........

@Mary229I agree with you on luggage! That is an idea for our next trip: one checked bag of 25", one carry-on 21-22" and a couple of day/backpacks. that should be plenty,. 

For me, 4 pairs of shoes is more than adequate and I wear the heaviest/bulkiest. One pair for daily walking and/or working. out, one pair casual shoes/sandals, one pair of more dressy evening shoes and maybe a pair of water shoes which weigh nothing. 

I  love dressing up, and while I don't wear an "evening dress" like you would see years and years ago on cruises, it's fun to put on a pretty dress in the evening 🙂

I could easily go on a two week tropical cruise with just a 22" carry-on and a small under-the-seat bag or backpack. 

Oh - I always bring something like Downey wrinkle release / fabric freshener spray. I will lightly spritz my clothes and helps a lot with not having to launder, at least for a few days. Especially the dresses I wear at night. I only wear them for a few hours and I"m not running around getting sweaty in them anyway!

Janie, I sail solo and have been cruising for nearly 20 years......those 2 pieces are the only things I ever bring.....1 24/25 inch checked bag and 1 carry on.  That always works for me🙂

@Janie1229  I like dress up too and contrary to popular advice if I am on a cruise only journey I bring jewelry.  Years ago a Dallas Texas socialite told me when all else fails wear a scarf and big earrings, that advice has never failed me 

• Like 1

@Mary229 I agree  !! I bring different jewelry and a few scarves that are big enough to be worn as a light wrap, and mix and match with the different dresses. I have a few necklaces, but mostly I wear big earrings and a scarf. 

I've got two reversible dresses from Chicos and White House Black Market, so really 4 dresses in two! I have another one from WHBM I ordered and should be here today. 

I see a lot of reversible dresses with black on one side, and black pattern on the other, which is okay, but I'd rather have something more colorful. I have a variety of black dresses as it is. The one dress from Chicos is a leopard print on one side and tropical flowers on a coral background on the other. The WHBM dress is a solid dark raspberry color on one side and white flowers against a raspberry background on the other. 

The reversible dress I'm waiting on is a solid light blue on one side and red flowers with blue on the other. 

I am always looking for more reversible dresses!!

• Like 1

Just now, Janie1229 said:

@Mary229 I agree  !! I bring different jewelry and a few scarves that are big enough to be worn as a light wrap, and mix and match with the different dresses. I have a few necklaces, but mostly I wear big earrings and a scarf. 

I've got two reversible dresses from Chicos and White House Black Market, so really 4 dresses in two! I have another one from WHBM I ordered and should be here today. 

I see a lot of reversible dresses with black on one side, and black pattern on the other, which is okay, but I'd rather have something more colorful. I have a variety of black dresses as it is. The one dress from Chicos is a leopard print on one side and tropical flowers on a coral background on the other. The WHBM dress is a solid dark raspberry color on one side and white flowers against a raspberry background on the other. 

The reversible dress I'm waiting on is a solid light blue on one side and red flowers with blue on the other. 

I am always looking for more reversible dresses!!

Someone said those dresses are heavy, is that true?  I might try one myself if they are light enough to fit my packing criteria