Light packers what do you pack?

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Someone said those dresses are heavy, is that true?  I might try one myself if they are light enough to fit my packing criteria 

Oh Mary, no! They are super lightweight. I will either roll them or fold, but they don't wrinkle very much and don't take up any space. 

Check out White House Black Market's website and type "reversible dress" in the search. Right now they have several reversible. dresses. 

I wish I could find more like these. I know you can change up the look of the same dress with different scarves, jewelry, but it's fun to have that reversible option. 

If I see any other good reversible options from other sites, I'll let you know. Chico's will have them once in a blue moon, but not as often as WHBM.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Someone said those dresses are heavy, is that true?  I might try one myself if they are light enough to fit my packing criteria 

I will see if they will post here:

https://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/product/Sleeveless-Reversible-Matte-Jersey-Dress/570324034?color=4173

The above is just one WHBM currently has on it's website, there are others too. 

Edited by Janie1229
  • Thanks 1

@Mary229 I received my reversible dress from WHBM yesterday. It's very pretty but too small (size S) so I have to take it back. Unfortunately they are sold out in size M. Too bad as it would have been a wonderful addition to my reversible dress collection! 

I may order one of the black reversible dresses even though I have a ton of black dresses. I do like the idea of having a solid black on one side, and a pattern on the other. Just wish it was a pattern with different colors other than white/black to make it more different. 

It's amazing to me that there aren't more brands offering reversible dresses.

1 hour ago, Janie1229 said:

@Mary229 I received my reversible dress from WHBM yesterday. It's very pretty but too small (size S) so I have to take it back. Unfortunately they are sold out in size M. Too bad as it would have been a wonderful addition to my reversible dress collection! 

When I buy those sheath dresses I always order 2 or 3 sizes up.  I don’t like form fitting clothing especially for a cruise when I may not be as trim as normal😉.  I have one great dress that I went all the way to XL (usually a M).  The shoulders fit perfectly but I have a little swing. 

20 hours ago, Mary229 said:

When I buy those sheath dresses I always order 2 or 3 sizes up.  I don’t like form fitting clothing especially for a cruise when I may not be as trim as normal😉.  I have one great dress that I went all the way to XL (usually a M).  The shoulders fit perfectly but I have a little swing. 

I usually order a M but they were sold out in all sizes except S so I decided to give it a try b/c I loved the color. As I anticipated it was too small. I agree with not wanting anything too form fitting.  I really prefer a flowy dress these days 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...

Have you ever looked at The Vivienne Files?  Look at her Tote Bag Travel for inspiration.  https://www.theviviennefiles.com/?s=Tote+bag+travel

She also has a plan for carrying 16 pieces that will give you multiple outfits (I counted 24 in posting).  https://www.theviviennefiles.com/?s=4x4   I use the examples for inspiration.  I use the template to actually get my travel capsule wardrobe together.  16 pieces may be too much for a small backpack, though.  

Also, check Eileen Fisher for her viscose jersey dresses.  I have two (discontinued, of course) that I can wash out at night and they will be dry to wear by morning.  I have often wondered if I had the nerve to go on a trip with only my 2 dresses (one navy, one black).  I may give it a try on a Panama Canal cruise later this year.  

• Like 3

@bbstx I have recently converted to dress and skirts for touring.  This one thing has lightened my load.  I now have quite as few viscose dresses, love them.  I truly admire people who can do cube wardrobe  packing but it is not in my genes.  

I'm a light packer, and I think you've already received a lot of good information.  I actually think a large backpack and a rolling carry-on is ample packing space, but you have some specific needs that aren't so easy to meet.  

What I'd pack: 

- 2 pairs long pants -- one pair jeans, one pair dressier -- solid colors

- 2 pairs shorts, solid colors 

- 6 blouses, one solid white or black, two prints -- all should match all bottoms -- 4 short sleeved /2 three-quarters length sleeved

- 2 simple dresses -- neither too dressy 

- 1 chambray or denim top, which can be worn as a shirt or a jacket -- you can treat this kinda like a denim jacket, except that it'll be much lighter than a denim jacket 

- 2 sweaters or light jackets -- one dressy, one casual 

- 1 pair leggings to go under dresses 

- Ample accessories such as scarves, hats, etc.  -- bring in color here 

- 3 pair shoes -- one pair tennis shoes, one pair walking sandals, one pair wedges -- all simple colors -- if you need water shoes, add them too 

- 1 tiny clutch purse for dinner 

- 2 pairs PJs or nightgowns 

Thoughts: 

- This should ALL fit in the rolling carry-on (along with toiletries), leaving the backpack for other things. 

- Note I didn't mention any skirts ... I prefer dresses.  Your mileage might vary. 

- You said A DAY that'll be cold?  So you need some things for evenings on the air-conditioned ship and just one day that'll really be cold?  Do you have an old jacket or fleece that you'd be willing to pack for that short time /then discard?  

- I don't think I'd bother with a down coat for a single day.  For that cold day, layer two blouses + your warmest sweater.  Layer the leggings + the jeans.  Add a scarf -- even a thin scarf will bring some warmth.

Laundry concerns me just a little: 

- Over the course of a month, something's going to go wrong at some point.  You'll neglect to put out your laundry, or a machine will break /things will be delayed a day or two.  But with the above items, you'd have enough, even if laundry didn't come through -- you might be forced to wear pants, when you'd wanted a dress, but you wouldn't be "without".  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cautionary note to light packers: Check your hotel room thoroughly before checking out!!  I was on an Alaskan cruise last week with my sister and other friends.  My sister had only a carry-on suitcase and a tote.  Somehow, she failed to look in the hotel closet before leaving to board the ship.  She left a pair of pants behind!  It made for quite a challenge to be one pair of pants short when there were no “extras.”  She rose to the challenge and still looked nice every day. 

3 hours ago, bbstx said:

Cautionary note to light packers: Check your hotel room thoroughly before checking out!!  I was on an Alaskan cruise last week with my sister and other friends.  My sister had only a carry-on suitcase and a tote.  Somehow, she failed to look in the hotel closet before leaving to board the ship.  She left a pair of pants behind!  It made for quite a challenge to be one pair of pants short when there were no “extras.”  She rose to the challenge and still looked nice every day. 

Yes, in my family we call it the "idiot check". And everyone in the room or house does it with no hard feelings by the others that you are "doubting" them!

I have left my phone or computer charger -- before they were nearly as universal! I have lost track of hats I've left in hotel rooms. (When I take off a hat I tend to put it somewhere high: shelf in closet, top of the TV, even on a floor lamp...) 

• Like 2

My problem with packing light isn't about the clothes - it's trying to fit all my toiletries in tiny 100ml containers that all have to fit in a 1 litre plastic bag to get through security. Part of the problem is that I value my skin care routine and I love to wear make up in the evening, plus I use numerous hair products. I say someday when I retire maybe I'll just go grey and stop wearing make up and worrying about getting wrinkles, and then I can just use a carry on for trips.

• Haha 1

@MyTMo777can you fit enough product into contact lens cases to last you a week? I use them for moisturizer and conditioner.  Can you off-load some of the stuff to your DH?  I covet and save every little container that passes thru my hands.  

• Like 2

patagonia capilene baselayers. feathered friends eos down jacket, melanzana hoodie, convertible lightweight pants (removable legs to turn them to shorts), lightweight wicking material shirts, lots of socks.

On 7/19/2022 at 4:05 PM, MyTMo777 said:

My problem with packing light isn't about the clothes - it's trying to fit all my toiletries in tiny 100ml containers that all have to fit in a 1 litre plastic bag to get through security. 

100ml isn't that tiny! I have 3oz, 2oz, 1oz bottles -- fill the 100ml at home and use for the length of your cruise, then see how much is left. Take only as much as you are going to need. As far as stuff you really do need more of, like mineral-based sunblock -- figure out a way to stop at a "drugstore" after arriving at your departure port city.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2022 at 4:54 PM, crystalspin said:

100ml isn't that tiny! I have 3oz, 2oz, 1oz bottles -- fill the 100ml at home and use for the length of your cruise, then see how much is left. Take only as much as you are going to need. As far as stuff you really do need more of, like mineral-based sunblock -- figure out a way to stop at a "drugstore" after arriving at your departure port city.

Thanks for the advice. I need to work on this more and see if I can actually do it. It sure would give me more piece of mind with the way airports are right now!

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 7:52 PM, bbstx said:

@MyTMo777can you fit enough product into contact lens cases to last you a week? I use them for moisturizer and conditioner.  Can you off-load some of the stuff to your DH?  I covet and save every little container that passes thru my hands.  

I definitely need to work on this! Like one other poster said, I should "practice" at home putting thing into small containers and then seeing if that amount will last me 2 weeks. I could also probably downsize some of my skin care routine and make up for two weeks. You people are inspiring me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MyTMo777 said:

I definitely need to work on this! Like one other poster said, I should "practice" at home putting thing into small containers and then seeing if that amount will last me 2 weeks. I could also probably downsize some of my skin care routine and make up for two weeks. You people are inspiring me.

My dermatologist told me to allow my skin to have a vacation also!  Wash and a sunscreen.  Let the skin breathe.  
The past month here in Europe has been brutally hot.  After the first day, I stopped everything but the sunscreen and brow stuff.  Anything else was just melting on my face.  Did not want to look like Rudy Giuliani!!!  Besides, a hat and sunglasses hid everything.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Now that I'm back from my month in Europe...

Yes to using the contact lens cases for cosmetics.  I have a patch on my nose that I put concealer on.  I just need a little dab and having it in the case was perfect.  Outside of my brow pencil and a light swipe of SPF moisturizer, this was the only "cosmetic" I used after I discovered 97+ temps and humidity was not a good environment for anything else on my face.

One weird thing I discovered:  Out of the 8 places I stayed, including the canal barge, only 1 place had a separate hair conditioner.  2 places had a combo shampoo/conditioner and the rest just had shampoo.  It was so hot and humid that I had my hair up in either a pony or a clip each day so my hair didn't care that it was not conditioned but clean and frizzy.  I almost bought a bottle in the pharmacy, but I decided to give my hair a vacation too and just let it do it's thing.  But, when I go back again, I may put some of my conditioner in a Toob and pack in, just in case...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, bbstx said:

See how little conditioner you can get by with.  I only need a tiny dab.  I carry mine in …wait for it… a contact lens case!  Filling both sides will last me a couple of weeks.  

I need a lot of conditioner, I buy individual file packets of “hair masques”. Those are usually good for 2 to 3 washings.  Fortunately I don’t have to wash the hair every day.  Each packet is less than 2 ounces 

• Like 1

Have you ever tried solid shampoo and solid conditioner?  I haven’t, so I can’t comment on it.  I have a friend who swears by it when she travels.  The solid won’t count against your TSA 3-1-1 limits.

8 minutes ago, bbstx said:

Have you ever tried solid shampoo and solid conditioner?  I haven’t, so I can’t comment on it.  I have a friend who swears by it when she travels.  The solid won’t count against your TSA 3-1-1 limits.

Yep.  I use Lush solids.  

2 hours ago, bbstx said:

Basin makes shampoo bars, but they're circular, as well as round conditioner bars - I use them at home as well.