Iona no show for Geiranger

Hollers

Just received a message from P and O to say Iona is no longer calling at Geiranger for operational reason. No great problem as nearby Hellesylt will be given a full day with excursions from there.

Wondered if anyone knew what the 'operational reasons' are. Ship too big to berth?

Just now, Hollers said:

Just received a message from P and O to say Iona is no longer calling at Geiranger for operational reason. No great problem as nearby Hellesylt will be given a full day with excursions from there.

Wondered if anyone knew what the 'operational reasons' are. Ship too big to berth?

I should add this is for the cruise departing Southampton 21 May.

1 minute ago, Hollers said:

I think the excursions may not be shown there. Looks as if they will only be available after boarding Iona.

Yes you're right, I've just re-read it. I'm not disappointed, hopefully we'll book a boat trip to Geiranger.

17 minutes ago, TangerineWillow said:

Just had our mail, Incan only presume that another. Ruise ship is staying all day and paying more port charges

No other ship in the fjord. Iona still showing here so they haven't edited it yet. Still cruising towards Geiranger to see the Seven Sisters, so that's a bonus.

Just read the emails and in addition to dropping the geiranger call Iona will be hosting a Cruise Lines International association Conference on board on the departure day. Wonder how long they have had that booked. The terminal and ship will be busy and no Peninsular Club lunch but £20 added to onboard credit to those who qualify.

Nothing much to do at Hellesylt I reckon.

Geiranger has the extendable jetty which may not be available because it was part paid for by a rival cruise line. The itinerary is carefully worded and I don't think actually mentions Geiranger as a port.

22 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Just read the emails and in addition to dropping the geiranger call Iona will be hosting a Cruise Lines International association Conference on board on the departure day. Wonder how long they have had that booked. The terminal and ship will be busy and no Peninsular Club lunch but £20 added to onboard credit to those who qualify.

Nothing much to do at Hellesylt I reckon.

Geiranger has the extendable jetty which may not be available because it was part paid for by a rival cruise line. The itinerary is carefully worded and I don't think actually mentions Geiranger as a port.

The itinerary definitely mentioned Geiranger as a port when we booked, and is on my pdf booking confirmation. 

I'm not too fussed as long as it stays this way though. Hellesylt is pretty, we can still get over to Geiranger, and we still get the scenic cruise-by's. After the recent cancellation of Olden I think it's a bit insensitive of some people on other forums to be going on about how hard done by we all are. Some of the biggest overreactions aren't even sailing on our date! 🙄😆

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vitrocmax said:

Just had another look at the Cruise Calls listing for 25th, there's the tiny (by Iona standards) 200pax World Explorer also in port on that day - it wasn't booked in earlier in the year when I looked.

If World Explorer being there is the reason for Iona not being there, then Iona won’t be able to dock at Geiranger a week later either!

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

...The itinerary is carefully worded and I don't think actually mentions Geiranger as a port.

The website page for Iona's Fjord cruises clearly says the call to Hellesylt is early morning and that she then departs Hellesylt for Geiranger, where she stays until the afternoon. It then describes her as leaving Geiranger to cruise Geirangerfjord. I seem to recall that when this itinerary was first publicised, they said that the stop at Hellesylt was only to disembark pax on excursions. Having dropped anchor in Geiranger on a cruise, I would be disappointed not to be there.

2 hours ago, Amyracecar said:

The itinerary definitely mentioned Geiranger as a port when we booked, and is on my pdf booking confirmation. 

I'm not too fussed as long as it stays this way though. Hellesylt is pretty, we can still get over to Geiranger, and we still get the scenic cruise-by's. After the recent cancellation of Olden I think it's a bit insensitive of some people on other forums to be going on about how hard done by we all are. Some of the biggest overreactions aren't even sailing on our date! 🙄😆

There is quite a bit of that even on this forum. 🙂 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

The website page for Iona's Fjord cruises clearly says the call to Hellesylt is early morning and that she then departs Hellesylt for Geiranger, where she stays until the afternoon. It then describes her as leaving Geiranger to cruise Geirangerfjord. I seem to recall that when this itinerary was first publicised, they said that the stop at Hellesylt was only to disembark pax on excursions. Having dropped anchor in Geiranger on a cruise, I would be disappointed not to be there.

That was the usual order of sailing, stop at Hellesylt ( very small and nothing much to do, a bit like Olden town) and unload passengers for long excursions. Then on to Geiranger for more local excursions and superb scenery. It was the highlight of this cruise for me.

I am concerned about boarding day as well, the ship will have hundreds of maybe the worse for drink delegates aboard so forget a quiet Saturday afternoon. I hope the *uggers are not sailing with us

• Like 1

Just found this on the Cruise Lines International Association website

CLIA UK & Ireland has announced its 2022 conference will be held from May 20-22 in Southampton.

The conference, the 14th to be held and the largest annual travel agent event of its kind in the UK, will include a trade fair, daily conference sessions and a gala dinner.

The first day will offer the chance to visit MSC Virtuosa, followed by the trade fair. The second day comprises a visit to P&O Cruises’ Iona, with an evening gala dinner. The final day will be held onboard Royal Caribbean’s Anthem of the Seas.

I hope to ell that gala dinner is not aboard Iona

12 hours ago, Amyracecar said:

Not sure insensitive is a term I would use ,its just that we have sold this cruise to our relations who have never cruised before and are travelling with us, (admittedly not on this date) , we have visited Norway before but thought we would try the new ship and have booked excursion's to fit in with the ports on the itinerary and to suit our relatives , If as you state Olden has at some stage been cancelled and then a possible problem at Geiranger it does leave us wondering what we have sold them. I'm sure they will enjoy the scenery but if ports start been cancelled there is a limit to how much "scenic cruising"" you would want . Will be watching closely but its the late timings of the changes that are concerning

• Like 2

As many of you know I have never cruised before, this Saturday's cruise is my first one, but even I knew when booking that changes happen and no itinerary is set in stone.

Geiranger was the highlight of the cruise for us but we will hopefully book a boat trip to there from Hellesylt, which itself is still a nice long fjord sail-in. 

I'm just relieved to be finally going on a cruise! My excitement levels are sky high, hair appointment today, nails and brows tomorrow ☺️

• Like 14

I don't want to go, but of course I always don't want to go until I set off for Southampton when the holiday spirit kicks in 🙂

Todays tasks -

Fill in the health questionnaire

Move plants from conservatory  - done

Renew lottery ticket

Confirm car to Southampton for Friday

Tomorrow -

Main packing

final laundry

Get repeat prescription, Boots texted me yesterday that it was ready

Friday -

Do LFT test

Check I have my passport 17 times

Set off 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

As many of you know I have never cruised before, this Saturday's cruise is my first one, but even I knew when booking that changes happen and no itinerary is set in stone.

Geiranger was the highlight of the cruise for us but we will hopefully book a boat trip to there from Hellesylt, which itself is still a nice long fjord sail-in. 

I'm just relieved to be finally going on a cruise! My excitement levels are sky high, hair appointment today, nails and brows tomorrow ☺️

Have a great cruise. I'm confident it will be the first of many. In the old days....tickets, passports, money. That was it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I don't want to go, but of course I always don't want to go until I set off for Southampton when the holiday spirit kicks in 🙂

Todays tasks -

Renew lottery ticket

Tomorrow -

Main packing

final laundry

Friday -

Do LFT test

Set off 

Have you checked the dates on the passports?. Not wishing to stress you, but how about insurance. You know you will enjoy every minute.🛳️

16 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Todays tasks -

Renew lottery ticket

Tomorrow -

Main packing

final laundry

Friday -

Do LFT test

Set off 

My dad’s the same, doesn’t want to go away until he actually leaves the house then he enjoys it.

I’ve filled in the health declaration and have printed it off but still haven’t had my confirmation email almost 3 hours later, good job I have a printer.

• Like 1