Iona no show for Geiranger

Hollers

On 6/22/2022 at 10:55 AM, Selbourne said:

It Often Not Appears

Iona departure from Haugesund delayed til 2030. Reason given - expected bad weather en route. Not sure how this will affect Southampton arrival time. 
Brian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrianI said:

Iona departure from Haugesund delayed til 2030. Reason given - expected bad weather en route. Not sure how this will affect Southampton arrival time. 
Brian

Well at least we know that she will get to Southampton, unlike Geiranger! They usually have quite a bit of slack built into the schedules which allow them to run at lower speeds (less fuel used = cost saving) so when things like this happen it’s amazing how much time they can recover if they need to.

We have had very late departures and even major diversions to unplanned ports for medical evacuations and still arrived at the next port on time!

4 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Well at least we know that she will get to Southampton, unlike Geiranger! They usually have quite a bit of slack built into the schedules which allow them to run at lower speeds (less fuel used = cost saving) so when things like this happen it’s amazing how much time they can recover if they need to.

We have had very late departures and even major diversions to unplanned ports for medical evacuations and still arrived at the next port on time!

Not on Iona's run from Southampton - Fjords and from Fjords - Southampton. The timings are fairly tight and so I will be a real high speed run.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Not on Iona's run from Southampton - Fjords and from Fjords - Southampton. The timings are fairly tight and so I will be a real high speed run.

Doesn't that prove my point though? They can run faster than planned to make up some time.

MarineTraffic shows Iona’s ETA into Southampton currently tracking as 0415 on Saturday, 15 minutes before Sky Princess which is running just behind her on the same route, so the late departure from Haugesund appears to have caused no issues. She has averaged 20 knots since departure last night, which is up on her usual cruising speed (which I believe is 17 knots) and illustrates the point that I was making in post #377. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BrianI said:

Brian

Unbelievable! I wouldn't be happy spending eight years in Haugesund.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On our last transatlantic on Azura, we were delayed about 2-3 hours leaving Madeira before the five sea days to Antigua.  Handles down, but on one of those sea days, strong headwinds slowed the ship. 

Arrived in Antigua about 14:00 instead of the scheduled 09:00, due to the full day of not making sufficient speed.

Additionally we've been told by a Chief Engineer that as much as the Captain might want/need to make full speed, the engineers don't like going over 80% power due to increased maintenance, as well as already mentioned increased fuel consumption.

1 hour ago, Son of Anarchy said:

On our last transatlantic on Azura, we were delayed about 2-3 hours leaving Madeira before the five sea days to Antigua.  Handles down, but on one of those sea days, strong headwinds slowed the ship. 

Arrived in Antigua about 14:00 instead of the scheduled 09:00, due to the full day of not making sufficient speed.

Additionally we've been told by a Chief Engineer that as much as the Captain might want/need to make full speed, the engineers don't like going over 80% power due to increased maintenance, as well as already mentioned increased fuel consumption.

Nice to know they have the best interest of the paying passengers at heart

On 6/24/2022 at 6:43 AM, Selbourne said:

MarineTraffic shows Iona’s ETA into Southampton currently tracking as 0415 on Saturday, 15 minutes before Sky Princess which is running just behind her on the same route, so the late departure from Haugesund appears to have caused no issues. She has averaged 20 knots since departure last night, which is up on her usual cruising speed (which I believe is 17 knots) and illustrates the point that I was making in post #377. 

Usual cruising speed is 17 knots correct. Design speed is 21 knots. Doing 20-21 knots requires the four service engines to be in use at maximum capacity. This is only sustainable for so long as it does have a higher risk of failure. 17 knots is the magic 80% x 4 engines. 3 engines can get to 16 knots at full power, if one engine is out of use.

On the passenger side, passengers will feel more movement when ship is doing 17-21 knots. Likewise you need the right sea conditions. If you're heading through the bay of Biscay in stormy seas at 21 knots the ride may be very uncomfortable or even unsafe.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, NewWestwardbound said:

I must admit that I lost track of the most recent Iona cruise. Does anyone know: 1. the itinerary (sea days & ports calls) the passengers were expecting when they boarded on Sat 18 June, versus 2. the itinerary they received? 

As far as I know:

Stavanger substituted for fjord cruise just to the north due to delay leaving Southampton. 

Hellesylt substituted for Flåm (most comments I saw said this was an improvement rather that a problem) due to high winds. 

36 minutes ago, newbie cruissy said:

As far as I know:

Stavanger substituted for fjord cruise just to the north due to delay leaving Southampton. 

Hellesylt substituted for Flåm (most comments I saw said this was an improvement rather that a problem) due to high winds. 

Although keep in mind that Hellesylt was itself a substitution for Geiranger.

On 6/23/2022 at 5:51 PM, Selbourne said:

You can’t always guarantee getting into Southampton. Back in March 2015 we were on a Northern Lights cruise on our beloved Oriana. It was a very rough return journey all the way from Stavanger to Southampton. We arrived early morning and could not dock in the correct berth due to the wind, so we had to take a temporary berth by the grain terminal. That was when we had “the incident”. As Oriana was manoeuvring to come along side there was a tug that was in danger of being caught between her and the pier. Understandably the tug was in a hurry to get out of the way so gave it some beans, at which point the wash from the tug moved one of the Yokohama fenders from its position. This was followed by a fairly loud bang as Oriana made contact with the pier. We remained alongside held in position by a couple of tugs until late evening. About 9pm we made it into the Ocean terminal and were able to disembark at around 11pm. We were well looked after during the day and had the choice of remaining on board until next morning. Unfortunately I had to go back to work so we had a late drive home. Our table companions had twin beds in their cabin and joked that it was so rough they woke up in opposite beds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Although keep in mind that Hellesylt was itself a substitution for Geiranger.

It's just like football when they substitute the substitute.

So what is the cruise equivalent on bringing on a goalkeeper just for a penalty shootout I wonder?

• Haha 1

On 6/25/2022 at 11:58 AM, molecrochip said:

Usual cruising speed is 17 knots correct. Design speed is 21 knots. Doing 20-21 knots requires the four service engines to be in use at maximum capacity. This is only sustainable for so long as it does have a higher risk of failure. 17 knots is the magic 80% x 4 engines. 3 engines can get to 16 knots at full power, if one engine is out of use.

On the passenger side, passengers will feel more movement when ship is doing 17-21 knots. Likewise you need the right sea conditions. If you're heading through the bay of Biscay in stormy seas at 21 knots the ride may be very uncomfortable or even unsafe.

Iona steaming along at 21.4 knots according to Marine Traffic, I suspect backed by a strong southerly wind (Sunday lunchtime)!

• Thanks 1