Norway Fjords and Artic Svalbard or Antartica-Resolution

I am treating myself to a luxury cruise.  I have a booking on hold for Norway Fjords and Artic Svalbard for May 2023. 

I am wondering if I should cruise to the Antartica for the 24 day cruise in January 2023 instead.

Anyone been been to either of the 2 places?

I like to see wildlife but I am am wondering if late May would be a bit early to see the Polar bears.  I have read that the Norway Fjords is a must  do and other than Lindblad cruises, I can't seem to find another cruise operator which would have a better Norway Fjord itinerary.

First time here on cruise critic

I did Antarctica a few years ago and while on board had made tentative plans to do Svalbard in the summer of the next year because we were loving it so much. It fell through for all of us, but a friend who has done both warned me that the Arctic would pale in comparison to Antarctica.

• Like 1

Thanks both for the reply.

I am leaning towards Antartica for January 2024.

Ponant has zero single supplement sale right now for their 11 days Antartica trip.  Price is good but traveling solo, not sure if there would be many English speaking solos there.

Anyone have any thoughts on quark expedition on ultramarine, Lindblad Resolution /endurance and Silversea Wind?   I can't decide which of the 3 companies I should cruise with.

On 5/20/2022 at 8:22 AM, LuvCruiseSB said:

Thanks both for the reply.

I am leaning towards Antartica for January 2024.

Ponant has zero single supplement sale right now for their 11 days Antartica trip.  Price is good but traveling solo, not sure if there would be many English speaking solos there.

Anyone have any thoughts on quark expedition on ultramarine, Lindblad Resolution /endurance and Silversea Wind?   I can't decide which of the 3 companies I should cruise with.

We are starting to plan our return trip and are going through the same drill. Which ship, which itinary? 

We have only been on SS Wind.  It was before the refurbishments.  She was tired, but the ship had nice feel. We will sail on her again this fall so I can update.  We will also be on Seabourn Venture this summer.  We are very keen to try Ponant as Silversea  pricing D2D and P2P is rediculous and Seabourn seems to be headed in a similar direction.

I would post on the Ponant boards for Single advice as there are a few cross cruisers who give great advice. No single supplement is hard to find and Ponant is working harder on cultivating the English speaking market.

Atlas is jumping into the luxury expedition space, but they seem to have had some growing pains.

Things to consider:

For highly scenic cruising like Antarctica it is nice to have good forward facing public outdoor and indoor space. 

Cabin comparisons.   Size, and do you want a balcony? 

Food and wine: How good will it be and what is included? How many restaurants does the ship have, and is room service available?  How much do you care?

What itinary do you want? A seven day quickie, or 15 plus. As mentioned above, South Georgia is a must do. 

What does each ship offer on their excursions?  Do you want to kayak, go on longer hikes, or happy with excellent zodiac tours and landings?

Start your spreadsheat and let us know what you decide.

Lindblad is the only expedition cruise line I have been on, so I'm Team Lindblad all the way.  I'd love to do a trip on one of their new X-bow ships, but life is complicated and travel is not in the cards for me at the moment.  I've heard Silver Sea would be considered more luxury, but I've never researched them.  Probably if you went on their boards, they would have reasons they are the best, and same with the other lines.

• 4 weeks later...

In my list of "go to" places in entire the world Antarctica was first!  Incredible, fantastic and better. 

But you must  take a cruise that includes South Georgia.   Everything like Antarctica , but smaller!  And of course go on Lindblad!