Southampton Hotel recommendations

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2022 at 7:39 PM, ladysail2 said:

Thank you Harters and JB for all your information. I saw the Wool House on the map, but thought it was a museum.  I certainly wouldn’t just go and sit at a table…knowing that one goes to the bar first.  I saw the FB pictures of the Red Lion…it looks very nice.  I’m certainly looking forward to my visit. Just wished I drank beer, but have never taken a liking to it.

1.Out-of-date map, been a pub/micro-brewery for a number of years.

2. Probably best not to mention that to the landlords 😀

JB 🙂

2 minutes ago, John Bull said:

1.Out-of-date map, been a pub/micro-brewery for a number of years.

2. Probably best not to mention that to the landlords 😀

JB 🙂

What was nice about the description of the Wool House was that it told of its history of storing wool before transporting it.  I don’t believe the article told of its current use…and that’s why I thought it was a museum. I was hoping it was a yarn store, LOL.

No, I don’t say anything, but do order an alcoholic drink.  Haven’t had a beer in 52 years….maybe I’ll try one again…tastes do change!!    😊

On 5/25/2022 at 7:43 AM, John Bull said:

No coach excursions to Stonehenge from Southampton, but very easy to DIY..

Take the train from Southampton Central station, 10 - 15 minute walk from Moxy.

Buy return tickets for the direct half-hourly train to Salisbury about £12.

Journey time about 35 minutes.

Avoid saturdays or sundays if you can

The Stonehenge Tour bus leaves from the station forecourt - small station, very easy to spot it. Catch a train that ties in with the Stonehenge Tour bus times

Because independent travellers have to pre-book a timed arrival slot at Stonehenge, buy your Stonehenge tickets on-line with your tour ticket, or from the driver - their tickets have no arrival time restrictions, you just walk straight in. NB If you pay the driver on-the-day you'll need cash due to contactless card limits.

Expect to spend about 60 to 90 minutes at Stonehenge.

On the return journey to Salisbury there's an option to visit Old Sarum on the edge of the city - a hill fort that was the original city. Needs about 45 minutes. Then go back to the same bus-stop. You don't have to wait for the next  Stonehenge Tour bus, your ticket is good for any Salisbury Reds bus - I think from that stop they all go to the city centre, but double-check with the driver. Old Sarum is uphill and rather exposed - not worthwhile unless you have the time, you're tolerably fit, and the weather's decent.

Salisbury  is a super little historic & laid-back city. Visit the magnificent cathedral - it has the tallest spire in the UK, one of the four original Magna Cartas, and the world's oldest clock. Entry by donation or combined Stonehenge/cathedral ticket. Cathedral not open for visiting on sundays.

Make you way back to the station, a 15 minute walk or bus or taxi hop, for a train back to Southampton.

https://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk

https://www.thestonehengetour.info/

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge

JB 🙂

Thank you for all of this, I have already booked my tickets for stonehenge through the link above. Yes we are going on a Saturday, but we are fine with that.  That is our ONLY thing planned that day so we are good.  From what I understand from your post and the site itself, we do NOT have to make a  timed reservation (other than our tickets for the actual day), is that correct?

I booked the Ibis Southampton Centre (not the budget), because of the proximity to both the train station and Horizon Cruise terminal.  Rooms look small though.  It is what it is, which is 2 nights, so we can make it work.  Yes, we could walk it, but wont.  I am not one to be hauling my suitcases through a town.  Just get me a taxi/ride, and I am happy.  Friends booked into the White Star Tavern, so we will take a taxi/uber to grab a drink with them on Saturday night.

Any recommendations for dinner on a Friday night when we arrive?  We prefer local over chain, and like supporting independent restaurants. Where do the people that live there go?  We SHOULD be arriving around 7:30-8pm, but we can always go on Saturday.

Thanks again

1 hour ago, MrsTocko said:

Thank you for all of this, I have already booked my tickets for stonehenge through the link above. Yes we are going on a Saturday, but we are fine with that.  That is our ONLY thing planned that day so we are good.  From what I understand from your post and the site itself, we do NOT have to make a  timed reservation (other than our tickets for the actual day), is that correct?

I booked the Ibis Southampton Centre (not the budget), because of the proximity to both the train station and Horizon Cruise terminal.  Rooms look small though.  It is what it is, which is 2 nights, so we can make it work.  Yes, we could walk it, but wont.  I am not one to be hauling my suitcases through a town.  Just get me a taxi/ride, and I am happy.  Friends booked into the White Star Tavern, so we will take a taxi/uber to grab a drink with them on Saturday night.

Any recommendations for dinner on a Friday night when we arrive?  We prefer local over chain, and like supporting independent restaurants. Where do the people that live there go?  We SHOULD be arriving around 7:30-8pm, but we can always go on Saturday.

Thanks again

Yes, Stonehenge tickets bought thro the ho-ho (The Stonehenge Tour) admit you anytime.

Ibis is very convenient to the station.

And only a 10-15 minute walk from Horizon cruise terminal is an easy  10 - 15 minute walk if the weather's fine and you're feeling energetic.

But only TGI Friday and MaccyD are close by.

Or IKEA or ASDA for a cheap breakfast

For a selection of proprietor-run pubs & restaurants you need to walk past the modern West Quay entertainment & dining complex (chain restaurants) to old-town / waterfront, a level 15 - 20 minute walk. 

The Duke of Wellington in Bugle Street (historic pub), the Dancing Man (pub & micro-brewery in 14thC. stone Wool House on the corner of Bugle Street & Town Quay) and on Town Quay - more expensive but quality to match - Ennio's (Italian) & next-door La Regata (Spanish). And on the other side of the road Kuti's Brasserie (Indian, in the former Royal Pier ballroom.

Have eaten at all of them over the years & never been disappointed. But bear in mind that's just one guy's opinion, so google the name + Southampton UK for reviews, menus, photos & such.

One other, a 10 - 15 minute walk in the opposite direction is Papillon. It's a re-purposed 19th Century church opposite the Mayflower Theatre in Commercial Road. Beautiful interior.

Dined there a couple of times pre-theatre when it was called The Vestry,

New ownership last year, so can't comment on the food etc. New website is https://papillon-southampton.co.uk/ A couple of other restaurants nearby.

Whichever you choose, being a friday (or saturday), it's best to pre-book

JB 🙂

On 5/18/2022 at 9:45 AM, tony s said:

We booked White Star Tavern for one night in July. We have heard and seen great things about them.

We booked them for 3 nights prior to our cruise.  It looks like a lot of fun.  We don't go until the end of August/first part of September. I'd be curious as to what you think. 

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, clojacks said:

Does anyone have any experience at the Premier Inn Southampton City Center WestQuay?

Premier Inn City Centre and Premier Inn West Quay are two different hotels.

P.I. West Quay is very convenient for the city centre shops, old-town, waterfront, restaurants, pubs and cruise terminals.  A fair proportion of guests will be cruisers, and it's often recommended on Cruise Critic.

P.I. City Centre is in New Road - compared to West Quay add a ten-minute walk across a city park to the afore-mentioned places.

Hotel is of similar standard and with similar facilities.

Perfectly acceptable if P.I. West Quay is fully-booked.

JB 🙂

Edit - just checked something on their website. They are the ones who cause confusion 🙄.  I guess they want to let folk know that West Quay is also city centre

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2022 at 7:49 AM, Magiemae41 said:

Hi all, so glad to see this post.  We just made reservations at Moxy for our trip in September.  Does anyone have experience with this hotel?

Mae

We are booked for 2 nights in August...it looks like it should be fine.