Tahiti no longer requires any test for vaccinated travelers.

MrRandal

I'm not sure if you are asking about special wrinkles affecting those returning to the US from Tahiti, but I can verify that we were able to use the eMed proctored tests to return from Paris on May 7.  Uploaded the results to Delta's app and were immediately certified Fit to Fly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

French Polynesia doesn't require but this is a PG thread/page and it still requires a covid test  .... though it does allow for a antigen test now which is a real plus and saves a bunch of money and easier to obtain 

Hi Tahitianbigkahuna, thanks for the reply. PG said they do NOT accept the eMed proctored antigen test for boarding the PG. My question was about returning back to the USA after our PG cruise. Do you know if the eMed proctored antigen test meets the requirements for an antigen test for flying back to the mainland? Thank you! (I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for next month.)

41 minutes ago, Tom Sandra said:

Hi Tahitianbigkahuna, thanks for the reply. PG said they do NOT accept the eMed proctored antigen test for boarding the PG. My question was about returning back to the USA after our PG cruise. Do you know if the eMed proctored antigen test meets the requirements for an antigen test for flying back to the mainland? Thank you! (I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row for next month.)

I never said PG would accept eMed proctored test ... they do however accept an antigen test within 24 hours of boarding. As far as the return to USA I've never used the eMed proctored test ... I always use a local pharmacy in PPT  ... $10

CDC policy: 

• he CDC Covid-19 test required is a viral test of any of the following:

The test must be a viral test. The following types of viral COVID-19 tests can be used: Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT) In addition to NAAT, phrases indicating a NAAT† could include, but are not limited to: • Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) • Quantitative PCR (qPCR) • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test • Isothermal amplification • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR) • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

• Self-testing kits ordered from emed (https://www.emed.com/airline-travel) are now approved for use by the CDC. These will be accepted by Air Tahiti Nui, within the CDC guidelines found on the emed website. The test type is the Abbott's BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag test detecting active COVID-19 infections and FDA authorized home test for SARS-CoV-2. These test kits must be ordered in the United States prior to departure.
Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I never said PG would accept eMed proctored test ... they do however accept an antigen test within 24 hours of boarding. As far as the return to USA I've never used the eMed proctored test ... I always use a local pharmacy in PPT  ... $10

CDC policy: 

• he CDC Covid-19 test required is a viral test of any of the following:

The test must be a viral test. The following types of viral COVID-19 tests can be used: Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAAT) In addition to NAAT, phrases indicating a NAAT† could include, but are not limited to: • Reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) • Quantitative PCR (qPCR) • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test • Isothermal amplification • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR) • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

• Self-testing kits ordered from emed (https://www.emed.com/airline-travel) are now approved for use by the CDC. These will be accepted by Air Tahiti Nui, within the CDC guidelines found on the emed website. The test type is the Abbott's BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag test detecting active COVID-19 infections and FDA authorized home test for SARS-CoV-2. These test kits must be ordered in the United States prior to departure.

Thank you for that info; that is what I needed!

And yes, I do understand that you never said anything about the eMed proctored tests. I was just trying to word my question as thoroughly as possible to avoid confusion...which I still managed to do anyway. haha

thanks again.

PG website did clarify their testing requirements Thursday. It initially read that passengers needed an antigen test or a PCR test within 24 hours of embarkation. It now reads an antigen test 24 hours before, or a PCR test 72 hours before. From a cost standpoint, the PCR test doesn't make sense, but it may logistically for some travelers. 

"Effective May 21, 2022 - *Within 24 to 72 hours of embarkation: Prior to boarding the m/s Paul Gauguinguests must present valid proof of vaccination (any guest joining the ship must have completed the vaccination process), negative Covid-19 RT-PCR (taken within 72 hours of embarkation) or antigen test results (taken within 24 hours of embarkation), and the completed health declaration and health questionnaire formsalso sent to you with you cruise documents. If guests are arriving in French Polynesia early and the validity period of the Covid-19 PCR or antigen test has expired, please visit The Louis Malarde Institute (ILM) in Papeete prior to embarkation."

13 hours ago, MrRandal said:

PG website did clarify their testing requirements Thursday. It initially read that passengers needed an antigen test or a PCR test within 24 hours of embarkation. It now reads an antigen test 24 hours before, or a PCR test 72 hours before. From a cost standpoint, the PCR test doesn't make sense, but it may logistically for some travelers. 

"Effective May 21, 2022 - *Within 24 to 72 hours of embarkation: Prior to boarding the m/s Paul Gauguinguests must present valid proof of vaccination (any guest joining the ship must have completed the vaccination process), negative Covid-19 RT-PCR (taken within 72 hours of embarkation) or antigen test results (taken within 24 hours of embarkation), and the completed health declaration and health questionnaire formsalso sent to you with you cruise documents. If guests are arriving in French Polynesia early and the validity period of the Covid-19 PCR or antigen test has expired, please visit The Louis Malarde Institute (ILM) in Papeete prior to embarkation."

Hi, we will be in Moorea for 2 weeks before our cruise. 
I thought we could take antigen test 24 hours before boarding at a local pharmacy. Why do PG say  say visit ILM prior to embarkation?

Irene

6 hours ago, ScotsLady said:

Hi, we will be in Moorea for 2 weeks before our cruise. 
I thought we could take antigen test 24 hours before boarding at a local pharmacy. Why do PG say  say visit ILM prior to embarkation?

Irene

You can go to the pharmacy ,,,, the main lab in PPT processes all the PCR test which of course you don't need now  ... There are 4 places on Moorea for the antigen test

1.png

2.png

On 5/20/2022 at 12:41 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

French Polynesia doesn't require but this is a PG thread/page and it still requires a covid test  .... though it does allow for a antigen test now which is a real plus and saves a bunch of money and easier to obtain 

Thank you for the info.  As of now, the following is my understanding.  Please let me know if you believe my understanding is incorrect (We have time before our Oct trip, and expect there may be updates from PGC if not Tahiti between now and then, and I will of course pose questions directly to PGC when timing gets closer, but interested to hear others thoughts as of now)

My understanding:

1) If fully vaccinated, I can fly into Tahiti without covid test from SFO or LAX

2) But, to board Paul Gauguin, covid test is needed AND must be fully vaccinated

3) Fully vaccinated means:

- Tahiti:

- if initial 2 doses of qualified vaccines are complete > 9 months prior to cruise, a booster is required.  There is no requirement for a 2nd booster (i.e., 4th dose) even if your initial booster is > 9 months old.

- PGC - same as Tahiti, except replace 9 months with 6 months (or 4 months?);  booster = 3rd dose

https://www.pgcruises.com/travel-advisory

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2022 at 5:00 PM, Tom Sandra said:

The eMed test is accepted for travel to the US. I’ve successfully used it on American, United, Delta and Qatar. AA, DL & UA allow you to upload in advance, which saves some stress at the airport. I assume Air Tahiti Nui does not have an upload function, so if you do go the eMed route, I’d print the results. 

Although I don’t see anything on PG’s site, Ponant removed the passenger mask requirement on their ships as of May 23, 2022.

Edited by AussieBoyTX
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Why eMED when you can get a antigen test for as little as $9 USD at a local pharmacy. There are times when eMed would be better such as your leaving the PG at 5 A.M. to head to the airport (Faaa). 

Because you can do it in your room at your convenience and get the results and certificate back in 15 minutes? Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

• Like 1

As they say  .... to each their own. 

We prefer to go save money and have it for more goodies to take home. The Lafayette Pharmacy will do it for $9  .... so for 2 people it's $70 for eMed or $18 locally at the pharmacy ... results in 15 minutes. We prefer another $52 for goodies 😉

8 minutes ago, minidonuts85 said:

All of our proctored emed test kits were reimbursed by our health care provider (Kaiser) including shipping. I like free! 

Good to know info  ... thanks for posting.

Actually reimbursement is mandated by the federal government. We actually have had our expensive RT-PCR test reimbursed twice in the last year. As PCR is no longer required we just do the cheap antigen test at a local Polynesian pharmacy.

Thank you Aussieboy, Tahitianbigkahuna, and Minidonuts! I just want to stash a few eMed tests in our luggage, just for peace of mind. 🙂

Tahitianbigkahuna, is the Lafayette Pharmacy in Papeete? Is it close to the Intercontinental? TIA

1 hour ago, Tom Sandra said:

Thank you Aussieboy, Tahitianbigkahuna, and Minidonuts! I just want to stash a few eMed tests in our luggage, just for peace of mind. 🙂

Tahitianbigkahuna, is the Lafayette Pharmacy in Papeete? Is it close to the Intercontinental? TIA

Closes will be the Pharmacie Lafatette in the Moana Nui shopping center ... about 1/2 mile from the IC Tahiti. Ask one of the concierge's at the IC to point you in the right direction. The shopping center is a great place for souvenirs to take home, great prices. (see map 'market').

FYI  .... the IC will have the test done for you in your room ... $30 😉 But the Better half loves to shop so that is where we go.

Covid test Tahiti.jpg

Covid test Tahiti-2.jpg

9.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 7:00 AM, minidonuts85 said:

All of our proctored emed test kits were reimbursed by our health care provider (Kaiser) including shipping. I like free! 

FYI:  Kaiser reimbursed us for our Emed tests the first time we bought them, but now says that the max reimbursement for "Home" tests is $12 each. Yeah, I know that these are more like lab tests as they are proctored online, but that is all I could get from Kaiser. I have filed a formal challenge to this...still waiting to hear back after a couple of weeks. What is really interesting is that they confirmed (repeatedly) that they WOULD pay for the $199 PCR test at LAX the night we fly to PPT. Go figure!

20 minutes ago, MotuIslander said:

FYI:  Kaiser reimbursed us for our Emed tests the first time we bought them, but now says that the max reimbursement for "Home" tests is $12 each. Yeah, I know that these are more like lab tests as they are proctored online, but that is all I could get from Kaiser. I have filed a formal challenge to this...still waiting to hear back after a couple of weeks. What is really interesting is that they confirmed (repeatedly) that they WOULD pay for the $199 PCR test at LAX the night we fly to PPT. Go figure!

Insurance paid for our 2021 PCR and Antigen tests taken at the same time. We recently submitted the PCR test for our March 2022 cruise ... they said give it 45 days for an answer. Their out is when the government said they needed to pay for up to 8 at-home test each month  ... so  ... we'll see what happens this time.

34 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Insurance paid for our 2021 PCR and Antigen tests taken at the same time. We recently submitted the PCR test for our March 2022 cruise ... they said give it 45 days for an answer. Their out is when the government said they needed to pay for up to 8 at-home test each month  ... so  ... we'll see what happens this time.

Eight at-home tests total, not each month. And all the tests we have gotten from the Post Office expire within 2-4 months.

20 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Hummmm .... our insurance company said 4 each per month, that's 8 for the both of us. 

My mistake, we were able to order 8 free tests through the Post Office, which was pretty simple. But when I got another email from Medicare stating I could order 8 tests, I filled out the form and it said my address had received the maximum. The maximum was for the mail order free tests. Now, you must go through your pharmacy, you are allowed 8 tests per month, per person. You must get them at the pharmacy counter. The pharmacy will bill Medicare or your insurance directly. It should be zero cost to you. 

Edited by MrRandal
clarity