So many questions!

I am trying to plan a Paul Gauguin cruise or a trip to Moorea/Bora Bora/possibly Tahaa next spring for my birthday or our anniversary.

1) Is there a big difference in weather between April 20th and very end of May/early June?

2) Which islands offer the best snorkeling? I may decide to stay on 2 or 3 or If we take Paul Gauguin in April it goes to Rangiroa and Fakarava, but in June it goes to Aitutaki and Raratonga.

3) Best time to book Paul Gauguin/do they have sales?

4) Travel agent or book on my own? 

5) First, and possibly only visit, would Paul Gauguin or an OWB on the island give me more frequent, enjoyable snorkeling. I would choose the Moorea Hilton and Conrad Nui Bora Bora to stay due to better snorkeling at the resort, but would also do Pure Snorkeling and maybe an outrigger tour. I snorkel everywhere I go. I don't know if I'm a good snorkeler, but I do it every chance I get. I'm much more excited about coral gardens than sharks...I have seen nurse sharks up close and personal, but that is it.  

I was supposed to visit on a Princess cruise in April 2020 & we all know where that went. Rescheduled on Pacific Princess for Sept. 2020 and that didn't happen, either. The  price of the PG is high and doesn't include air or transfers. I found a 10 day pkg for about $5000 less than the PG with 5 nights in an OWB. If my breakfast is included, would $300 per day cover our meals and drinks? We do like drinks! I'm a little overwhelmed and don't know where to look so any help or input is appreciated! I read all the boards here and on trip advisor. I can swing either, but the PG will use my travel budget for the year and I'd like to do one other trip..., but this may be once in a lifetime. My list is long, but FP is at the top.

We love to snorkel as well even though we lived on Maui for 20 years.  You would think we got our fill?  Having sailed on the PG  several times and also stayed in OWB's where you could literally snorkel to your hearts content, we say sail the PG.   To us the day on Motu Mahana is priceless.  You will have a great time kayaking, swimming and snorkeling around the motu.  The water is pristine.  As long as you avoid contacting the spiny urchins, we fell that you will fall in love with the South Pacific charm of this tiny island paradise.  Virtually every stop on the itinerary offers unique snorkeling opportunities.  We combine a handful of ship excursions with some car rental exploring and can assure you that every day will be memorable. 

• Like 3

You can't compare an experience on a Princess ship in FP and the PG. I've been on 2 Princess ships in FP waters before I took a PG cruise .... never looked back, the experience on PG was far superior. I've also done many land only stays in FP. Combining the two is ideal. A pre/post stay and a PG cruise. Don't know where your looking for prices and we are not to discuss travel agents or agencies but do know there are some good offers usually twice a year when PG does their 2 week sales. 

I suggest you go cruising if you've never been to FP as you will visit many islands without ever repacking to move to the next island. You get the taste of so many different Polynesian experiences. I would do the 10 night  (Society/Tuamotus) or the 11 night (Society/Cooks). Remember the Cooks are still closed to cruise hips but  hopefully will open by the end of this year.

• Like 1

Thank you, both! 

37 minutes ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

but do know there are some good offers usually twice a year when PG does their 2 week sales. 

Tahitianbigkahuna, can you tell me when these sales are? I am afraid to wait months, but if one is coming up soon, I'd sure like to save some $! I think I'm leaning toward PG. Is it better to stay a night or 2 before the cruise or after? I'd like to stay in an OWB at the Moorea Hilton to snorkel under my room. Guess I might as well blow my whole year's travel budget. LOL

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, back to the islands said:

Thank you, both! 

Tahitianbigkahuna, can you tell me when these sales are? I am afraid to wait months, but if one is coming up soon, I'd sure like to save some $! I think I'm leaning toward PG. Is it better to stay a night or 2 before the cruise or after? I'd like to stay in an OWB at the Moorea Hilton to snorkel under my room. Guess I might as well blow my whole year's travel budget. LOL

Many people do a pre cruise stay to acclimate and the Moorea Hilton is a favorite as it's accessible so easily and the return on the ferry places you right next to the PG.

As far as sale dates there are no absolutes ... you just need to keep an eye on things. A good TA often has better pricing but then again we are not to refer TA's  ...   

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, back to the islands said:

Do I just google South Pacific travel agents?

You can but your going to so many and you really don't know if they are qualified with current knowledge of FP. Would love to give you some names but that isn't possible on the forum. Need to bite my tongue.

Whoever you end up considering you should ask

1. Do you know the islands/ship

2. How many times have you been to the islands/ship

3. When was the last time

Things change quickly in FP so it is important that you get advice from someone who frequents the islands/ship.

FYI  ... 26 trips to paradise for me ... but I'm not a TA

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

The Cook Island itinerary has more sea time, as I remember, so bear that in mind. Ours didn't make it to Aitutaki because of wind, so I can't comment on the snorkeling there.  Both Fakarava and Rangiroa have great snorkeling potential.

Do keep in mind that the reefs are not what they once were, even 22 years ago when we were first there. But you should still have some great experiences.  Can't comment either on your hotel choices on Moorea, since we have chosen to stay at a smaller, local hotel called Les Tipaniers.  But they don't have OWB's.  I have heard that you need to choose carefully when you book an OWB, since some aren't in deep enough water to actually snorkel from.  Moorea is wonderful, and I would suggest a pre-cruise, since it relaxes you and prepares you for the cruise.

Once your itinerary is set, you can ask about specific excursions to maximize your snorkel adventures!

• Like 1

Almost all of the FP islands have decent places for snorkeling. That said the best will be on Rangiroa, then Tahaa, then Bora Bora ... then Moorea and finally Fakarava. Fakarava has a few places but the absolutely drop dead beauty is incredible. 

Aitutaki has a few great placers for snorkeling but only accessible by lagoon excursion. Rarotonga only has one good place for snorkeling and again it is best by excursion. 

Rangiroa and Fakarava are incredible for divers, world class. 

As far as Resorts with best snorkeling it would be Le Tahaa Resort a Pearl property. Incredible snorkeling right next to it. 

No major differences in FP between April and May. The Cooks can be a bit cooler in May than in April. 

Tahaa drift area next to Le Tahaa Resort

GOPR0622f.jpg

Tahaa drift area next to Le Tahaa Resort - Bora Bora is in the background 14 miles away.

GOPR0624.jpg

Tahaa drift area next to Le Tahaa Resort - drone shot, Bora Bora in the distance. Look closely after you enlarge and you will see the snorkelers

DJI_0348-Edit.jpg

The Aquarium on Rangiroa

IMG_0487.jpg

The Blue/Green lagoon on Fakarava - drone shot

DJI_0111-Edit.jpg

The lagoon of Aitutaki

5.jpg

• Like 5

My husband and I are FINALLY getting serious about visiting French Polynesia.  We are pretty sure we will sail on Paul Gauguin, but are confused about itineraries.  Is there a resource that really explains what you will see on an expanded itinerary beyond the 7-day Society Islands?

An OWB is a dream, but would we rather have more days on the ship?  

We also like to snorkel, but want to enjoy other activities as well.  

• Like 1

Good question and yes each is different.   We took the 7 day and then the 10 day which included the cooks…on line catalog from PG is very detailed…the 7 day was good, the 10 day was great !  More time the better if you can.   the on line catlog it should help you 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 2:13 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Most people use a cruise of FP to get a look at many islands .... and only unpacking once. Then you listen to which island talks to you in your dreams. Then plan a pre/post stay for your next cruise to paradise.

The 7 is nice but the 10/11 nights is superb. 

Tahitianbigkahuna hit the nail on the head!  Our first trip we did the 10 day PG cruise only.  It was magnificent.  Ever since I've had the overwater bungalows we saw on a jet ski tour in Bora Bora etched in my mind.  I could never get the colors of the blue water out of my head and it's been 12 years.  We are going back in two weeks and we are staying post cruise in an overwater bungalow.  Bora Bora's water and the bungalows have been in my dreams all this time.

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
Just now, bfamily9 said:

I'm planning on a cruise on the Paul Gauguin, 11 night Polynesia, in May, 2024. You seem to be quite knowledgeable. I've been to Bora Bora on a land tour, but I haven't been on a cruise to the South Pacific before. What island would you recommend for one or two days pre-cruise? I would like a suggestion for an island near Tahiti, but one that is not on the typical itinerary. The Brando seems to be a little too exclusive.

5 minutes ago, bfamily9 said:

I'm planning on a cruise on the Paul Gauguin, 11 night Polynesia, in May, 2024. You seem to be quite knowledgeable. I've been to Bora Bora on a land tour, but I haven't been on a cruise to the South Pacific before. What island would you recommend for one or two days pre-cruise? I would like a suggestion for an island near Tahiti, but one that is not on the typical itinerary. The Brando seems to be a little too exclusive.

I would go to Moorea  .... easy to get to ... easy to return as the ferry terminal on Tahiti is next door to the ship 😉  I've stayed at all the major resorts on Moorea and our favorites are the Hilton and the Sofitel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

I would go to Moorea  .... east to get to ... easy to return as the ferry terminal on Tahiti is next door to the ship 😉  I've stayed at all the major resorts and our favorites are the Hilton and the Sofitel.

Thanks, but that's already an overnight stop. I'm looking for something different. Here's the existing islands: Tahiti, Huahine, Aitutaki, Rarotongo, Bora Bora, Taha'a, Moorea, Tahiti.

1 minute ago, bfamily9 said:

Thanks, but that's already an overnight stop. I'm looking for something different. Here's the existing islands: Tahiti, Huahine, Aitutaki, Rarotongo, Bora Bora, Taha'a, Moorea, Tahiti.

Frankly for one or two days I would stay on Tahiti or Moorea .... not worth the time/effort/expense to go to other outer islands. The atolls are nice but I wouldn't go for one or 2 days. Just my 2 cents worth. I've been to FP 30 times, going on #13 on the PG ... again, just my 2 cents worth

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 2:30 PM, bfamily9 said:

You will visit all the close islands to Tahiti ... but for one or 2 nights I wouldn't go out to an outer island ... not enough time IMO

• Like 1

On 12/12/2022 at 5:30 PM, bfamily9 said:

Despite Moorea being a stop, I would still suggest Moorea.  It's close to Tahiti, so you can just hop on a ferry to board the ship.  Plus it's a great place to de-stress and get into the rhythm of the islands.  Plenty of varied hotel choices, and some interesting restaurants.  Lots to see and do. You need at least two nights really to do this--ferries only travel in daylight, so if you arrive on a late flight, you'll have to stay on Tahiti and ferry or fly over the next morning.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 4:06 PM, back to the islands said:

Thank you everyone. I am beyond excited! I have booked the PG and just broke the bank and we are staying 3 days pre cruise at the Moorea Hilton. I will probably be back with a lot more questions!! Woohoo!!

Hi! Curious if you went on your dream trip, we booked for May '23 without too much research and I'm just now reading up on everything. Would love to hear how the trip went and if it met your expectations

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, kleenrcruise said:

Hi! Curious if you went on your dream trip, we booked for May '23 without too much research and I'm just now reading up on everything. Would love to hear how the trip went and if it met your expectations

We aren’t going until April. I will try to remember to come back here and post detsils. I have finalized all my shore excursions, as long as they aren’t full, except Moorea and Raratonga. It’s too far out to book yet. All of my excursions will involve some snorkeling because, for me, this is a snorkel intensive trip ( before I’m too old to do it!😬). @Tahitianbigkahunaand @Petunia have been a wealth of information in 2020 when my trip was canceled less than a month before we sailed and this time, too. I KNOW it will be wonderful!

• Like 2