Had My First Transatlantic, Looking Forward to Second

Had my first transatlantic on RC last month late April.   Was awesome.   Beautiful weather, the water much more calm & blue than I thought it would be.   So looking forward to another which I'm hoping will be autumn 2023.   I have one I'm looking into, and its late October from Rome to Fort Lauderdale.   Is there any chances that the weather will be the same.   I know that varies a lot at any time.   But will it definately be different, or still the enjoyable time I had last month.  I'm looking forward to it,  and love the idea of doing the reverse itinerary like this.   

• Like 2

The Mediterranean is more unstable in the fall but that shouldn't ruin your cruise. Keep in mind fall is still hurricane season. We took our first TA the day Superstorm Sandy impacted flights to Rome. We made a request to exhange our first connecting flight. Good thing we did since we would have missed embarkation . We prefer spring sailings. You also get more daylight.

Imagine the October weather in Gibraltar, the Azores, Bermuda and Ft. Lauderdale.  Not too bad, eh?  BTW we prefer westbound trips.  You get 25 hour days rather than 23 hour days.  And if there is bad weather, it tends to be eastbound so if you are going westbound you get through it quicker.  If you are sailing eastbound you travel with the weather.

We are scheduled to start out in late April 2023 from Puerto Rico and sail to Canary Island then to Lisbon. Can anyone comment on the temperatures that are typical while at sea that time of year? Not sure how to look that up. 

OP, Now you know how addictive they are.  By far my favorite type of cruise, due to all the sea days, but after doing the flights three times, I think we have sadly decided to not do any more.  Even the thought of flying 2+ hours to get to Florida makes me shake my head.  I'm glad you did it, glad you enjoyed it, and glad you will do more!

Jane T - I would like to think you should expect high teens minimum to low twenties mostly. That is C not F. 

A day or two out of PuertoRico will be warmer.
Never easy to anticipate, that’s purely my experience of late March to mid April 

Edited by RW75

On 5/25/2022 at 2:27 PM, Jane T said:

We are scheduled to start out in late April 2023 from Puerto Rico and sail to Canary Island then to Lisbon. Can anyone comment on the temperatures that are typical while at sea that time of year? Not sure how to look that up. 

Last TA we did in April/May, I was in shorts & t-shirt every day. Agree with previous that the temps were in the 20's most days. However, wind direction can greatly impact the enjoyment on the open decks and that can never be guaranteed.