I'm RUNNING to the ship!

Cruise Cat

I put in 117 miles the last few days; got some long bike rides in along with my walking. So down to 76 mi over the next 17 days. We were in your neck of the woods in March, tdn.... Two younger sons were on spring break and oldest was living in Pensacola then, so we vacationed in Destin. Speaking of oldest son, he is having some medical issues, just cropping up for the first time, so I was on the phone with Carnival just now, reviewing my options for cancelling. Ugh. They were VERY nice and informative.

Haha, Wally, thanks for the funny post. Yup. Three different sizes in the wardrobe. Been there done that. Good luck with your goals and I hope you enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, looks like our son is ok, so we didn't cancel and looks like we'll be cruising UNLESS one of those darned hurricanes interferes. Not complaining, though. Such worse things going on. Been plugging away at the miles - 49 more walk/bike miles down - looks like I'll make it. How's everyone else doing?

Had to roll into work at 5am yesterday morning so I didn't have time to hit the treadmill between waking up and needing to leave the house. But I got out of work at 2pm rather than 5pm, so I told my wife I'd go over to the pool with her and swim for a half-hour instead. Man, that swim kicked my butt! First two laps I thought my heart was going to burst through my chest.

Hadn't been in the pool for 14 months, but back last year when I was getting out of work regularly at 2pm, it would be the thing I'd do in the afternoon rather than the biking. And I actually did really well on the weight loss front when compared to how much/how fast I've been losing with the biking this year. It's a pity that my schedule won't allow for it. I even tried to find a pool close to work that I could use when I first decided I had to do something during the afternoon, but there wasn't anything close enough where I could drive there, swim for 30 minutes, shower and primp, then drive back in the hour allotted for lunchtime. :(

• 1 year later...

I'm back! Reviving on of my favorite threads. So much to like about this thread. It's fun for me. It motivates me, and I'm pretty sure that when others see it, it inspires and motivates them as well.

I'm going on a cruise in 41 days. From my home to the cruise port is 530 miles. I haven't been biking so I can only walk to my cruise. 530 divided by 41 equals almost 13. Yikes. That means I have to walk almost 13 miles a day. I won't say it won't happen. I will give it my level best!!

DAY 1

After a bit of thought last night, I have set my Target Goal of Miles at 900 before the cruise (180 days). That is an average of 5 miles per day and as long as I make that goal I won't be disappointed. The total was derrived from the complex formula of multiplying the basic distance from my house to the ship by 3. I have also developed a Stretch Goal of 1000 miles. Why? Because it just sounds better. That is an average of 5.55 miles per day, and based on Adams post of what a dedicated marathon runner can average in a week, this seems highly acheivable.

With that said, here are today's totals:

Day 1: 6.0 miles, 0 incline, 75 minutes and 54 seconds, 634 calories burned, one blister forming on left foot. This was about half running and and a fast walk for the other half (back and forth).:)

OVERALL TOTALS

Cruise Booked: 2/26/2006

Cruise Date: 8/27/2006

Miles Logged: 6.0

Miles to Go: 994.0

Days Left: 179

Chuck

This is how this thread started out in February 2006!

dcwalker - I'll "run" with you, this seems like an interesting idea. We have a cruise booked for next June and my family runs several 5K's so I'll be using those training programs for my running and miles will be based on it.

Here's where I'm starting:

OVERALL TOTALS

Cruise Booked: 9/26/2018

Cruise Date: 6/1/2019

Miles to port: 174

Miles Logged: 12.63

Miles to Go: 161.37

Days Left: 240

eta: It looks like I should easily "get to" the port. Once I reach it I'll see if I can also "make it home" before the cruise. That's less than 1.5 miles per day, but almost 10 miles per week. Seems like a reachable goal.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been slacking the last few weeks 😕 plan to get several runs in the next few days.  My fitbit died, so I'm only tracking mileage through my runs - not counting walking throughout the day.  I should still be on track - I need to average a little better than 1.5 miles per day.

OVERALL TOTALS

Cruise Booked: 9/26/2018

Cruise Date: 6/1/2019

Miles round trip: 348

Miles Logged: 22.87

Miles to Go: 325.13

Days Left: 212

I haven't been slacking, at least not every day. I just haven't been recording. According to my walk logger app I've walked 230 miles since I last posted. Add that to the 51 I already posted takes me to a grand total of 281 mi. - just a little more than 1/2 way. And my cruise is in 6 days. Hmmm. Maybe I'll hitchhike the rest of the way to port! I better pack light. Oh, can't do that - it's a 12 day cruise. OR - I can take credit for walking a good distance to port when they cancelled on me because of a hurricane.

OK pacruise, keep up the good work and enjoy your cruise, no matter how you get to port!😊