I'm RUNNING to the ship!

Cruise Cat

Congrats gang. I was finally able to get back into running over the weekend. Started back slow since I haven't run in about 3 weeks. Got in a 5 miler on Saturday and a 7 on Sunday. Today is gym day, abs and chest.

For those of us who think it may be a bit of a stretch to run to the ship on time, try

http://www.geobytes.com/CityDistanceTool.htm

This measures distance as the crow flies and knocked over 200 miles off my trip compared to Mapquest.

Revised progress:

Start Date: 3/5/06

Miles Traveled: 5.5

Miles Remaining: 1156.5

Days Remaining: 379

So, I've got to do just over 3 miles a day on avg, which will be much more attainable than the 3.75 miles I was looking at.

Day 7 was another uplanned rest day based on that pain in my buttock I mentioned from overdoing things too quickly. From the internet, it is best described as High Hamstring Tendinopathy (click on phrase to read article). I have slowed my pace down a bit to shorten my stride as well as shortened my runs and do a lot more pre and post stretching. As long as it is only a dull ache, I can still run, but I am being very careful.

With that said, Day 8 was a run day today. 4.0 miles, 1.0 incline , 52 minutes and 00 seconds*, ???* calories burned. Plan to keep the run at 4 miles tomorrow. (*times approximate because I was on the psycho treadmil to start and had to change when the display freaked out)

OVERALL TOTALS

Cruise Booked: 2/26/2006

Cruise Date: 8/27/2006

Miles Logged: 20.25

Miles to Go: 979.75

Calories Burned: 2164

Days Left: 172

When you don't feel like running, can't get to the Gym, or the Weather is nasty, try Jumping Rope! :) I read an article on this today and how it can be a great workout for runners. I'm sure it is good for the walkers, bikers, swimmers, and everyone who has joined this thread. Make sure you know how to do it peoperly and don't injure yourself

finally got started on sunday - and went farther than i was planning because all of the treadmills were being used, so i jumped on the bike instead...my miles logged so far are on the cross-trainer, stairclimber, bike and treadmill.

March 5 - 10.93 miles, 648 cal burned

March 6 - 4.64 miles, 599 cal burned

188.43 miles to go until i break for my cruise on may 26!

4373.43 miles to my final goal!

jocey

Hey, Chuck! Welcome to our board and what a great idea!! I can't run -- doctor's orders, but as soon as my knee heals, I'll start walking on the treadmill. I have EXACTLY one month to be able to do the ramps at Wrigley on Opening Day. From there, I'll keep walking the ramps and doing the treadmill (or swimming) up until my Oct. cruise. For now, I'll just sit back and watch everyone's progress if that's okay.

Hey can I join in. I did something similar to this last year. I walked to Disney, I didn't quite make it but it helped count down the days and lose a few pds before we left. I have been considering trying again and this has given me the motivation to try again....THANK YOU.......

I will figure out the kilometers from my home to the port of Tampa and start tonight. I am in the process of changing my lifestyle and losing weight so I bike for a bit before work everyday, walk at lunch and either walk or bike after dinner so I will be adding my milage in many ways.

Good luck everyone.

Keep it up crew. I ran just a short 3 miler yesterday, with a 6 mile tempo run planned for this evening. I don't know about everyone else, but I find that I sleep better on days I workout/run and thus wake up feeling more refreshed.

On a side note, I had planned on running the Cellcom Green Bay marathon in May (about 3 weeks before the cruise), but have decided against it in favor of local short races.

Hey Adam way to go on your 3 miles. I would love to run a marathon....along way from that goal but I was thinking the Disney one in January 2007 or 2008 depending on how I do.

Well, it is 2220.6 KMS to Tampa....so that would be just shy of 10 kms per day.....this will be tough....I might do it by the way the Crows fly...that will be less....:) only 1831 KMS. I will start working on my goal today.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Kim

Mike, let me know if you decide to run Disney. I run it every year (for the past 8 yrs or so). This year I ran the Disney Double. It was a half marathon on Saturday (13.1 miles), followed by a full marathon on Sunday (26.2 miles). Between the two, I also ran a 5K (3.1 miles). Yes, I know, pretty insane.

I keep messing up both my miles to go and the remaining days. here's the real skinny (which I'll be when I make this goal!):

Start date: 3/5/06

Miles Behind Me: 7.5

Miles to Go: 1156.25

Days Remaining: 369

Calories Burned: 1300

I am on a self-imposed rest period. Yesterday morning after I got out of the Car at work again, my high hamstring was bugging me again. Today, I thought I was going to outsmart things and sat on a pillow the whole way to work. My high hamstring didn't bother me, but my lower hamstring on the same leg just above the knee (where the edge of the pillow was) is still tight and sore! UrrrGhhhh!. I am going to give it a full two weeks rest before I do any running. I am going to stretch here at home in the evening and take walks around the neighborhood. In the moring I will plan on stopping and stretching multiple times. I will also be cheering everyone on.

Adam, last week when I started running again, I felt so great the next day at work. I was relaxed both physically and mentally and had a ton of energy, This next two weeks of no running is going to kill me. I have never been a good healer and I am much older than I used to be. I just can't wait to run again!

7 miles yesterday in 1 hour 3 minutes, Tuff run, last 2 miles felt like 5, Swore I would take today off but now think I will try for three.

The feeling you get when your finished is GREAT!

Keep it up all............Something is better than nothing!

Cruise Cat, while I am not a doctor, I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. You may want to see a sports doctor. Many times they have a better insight as to stretches, etc that you can do, than your primary care might. I know that when I am injured, my PCP tells me to stop running, at which point I instruct him, "Just give me a referral and I'll come back to you when I have a cold, thanks"

Got my 6 mile tempo run in yesterday. Today is another easy 3

Two mile walk yesterday over lunch hour yesterday plus 3.5 miles on the treadmill this morning.

Start date: 3/5/06

Miles Behind Me: 13

Miles to Go: 1149

Days Remaining: 368

Starting to jog for longer stints; I'm going to work into that slowly.

Dan

Hey Adam way to go on your 3 miles. I would love to run a marathon....along way from that goal but I was thinking the Disney one in January 2007 or 2008 depending on how I do.

Well, it is 2220.6 KMS to Tampa....so that would be just shy of 10 kms per day.....this will be tough....I might do it by the way the Crows fly...that will be less....:) only 1831 KMS. I will start working on my goal today.

Thank you for starting this thread.

Kim

Kim - I'm going as the crow flies, although I'm thinking in fairness perhaps I should try to swim the portion that would be over Long Island Sound!

Good morning all........ Put me down for 4 miles yesterday the first one I did in 8 minutes!

Weather is going to break here in CT. this weekend, Maybe hit 70 WOO HOO!

REPEAT AFTER ME....Nothing tastes as good as the feeling you get when you put on a pair of pants that are LOOSE!!!!!!!!

Weather is going to break here in CT. this weekend, Maybe hit 70 WOO HOO!

Another nutmegger shares your joy for coming spring, which takes some of the bite out of yesterday's fiasco at the Madison Square Garden.

Go Huskies!

OK I'll bite. I start back running on Sunday and I have a half Ironman this summer so I will be logging some serious miles running (help me). I will begin posting miles on Monday since I will be out of town when I start this seasons training. You know I have no desire to start running again and I have no idea why because I really like it.

I can't get over what happen yesterday! Maybe a rest will do them good for the NCAA's

Where in Ct are you? I am in Stamford.

I live in Glastonbury (near Hartford). I have tickets to the final on Saturday night, too! I'm still going, though, and hoping for a Pitt - Syracuse matchup.

I don't think they needed the rest as much as they needed the wake up call. If they're going to the Final Four, they are going to have to start playing hard for 40 minutes!

I have really enjoyed reading this thread and have a few questions for the runners.

I compete in ballroom dancing, and I am rather protective of my knees! Since the ballroom dance position is always with a bent knee it does put a lot of stress on ones knees. The upper body stretches up and out while the lower body(the bent knees )stays very low to the floor. I wonder if running would increase the stress on my knees? We have a competition coming up and I am trying to increase my stamina and thought this would be good if it will not damage my knees any further.

Then the problem... I am just scared to death of treadmills because I just dont know how to do it. I belong to a gym and frankly am just to embarrased to ask for help. I have to be the only person in the world not quite sure how to operate the machine.... Do you turn it on, begin to walk or visa versa?