Cancelling Cruise Rules

Holidayfun141

Sorry to hear that Holidayfun141.  Were you on the 5 night cruise to Ireland? That crossing can be choppy. I haven’t read of anyone transferring a payment for a cruise to a land holiday.

It’s probably best to ask Saga for a definitive answer.  

Edited by LandC
Addition

No consolation but I don't think the sea was as bad as it sometimes has been. We met another couple who were badly affected the first day but were fine the next day after an injection from the doctor. I would hope Saga would let you change without any penalty, or even refund your money when you explain why.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:52 AM, Holidayfun141 said:

We have just had a bad time on a Saga Cruise due to sea sickness

I greatly sympathise. I'd never had any problems with sea sickness in the past even on very small boats in choppy seas, but was surprised to find I was suffering on one cruise on the Saga Sapphire - I put it down to my increasing age or my problematic ears. Fortunately the reception desk had very effective pills which were given out free of charge - within an hour or two I was back to normal. For those who might be unable to keep a pill down the doctor can give an injection instead as  david05 mentioned (and I think that was also free of charge). 

If you feel that you are simply unable to cruise again then it would seem that you have good grounds for asking for a refund on the cruise you have booked. It might be that for medical reasons  you are unable to take the treatment offered (pills or jab) and I can't see that Saga would refuse a refund in those circumstances. 

It might be better to ask for a refund and then to book a Saga hotel stay, rather than trying to transfer your payment, as that would mean involving staff in different bits of the organisation and might prove to be a bit complicated. Good luck - and let us know the outcome!

2 hours ago, Vivaldi said:

I greatly sympathise. I'd never had any problems with sea sickness in the past even on very small boats in choppy seas, but was surprised to find I was suffering on one cruise on the Saga Sapphire - I put it down to my increasing age or my problematic ears. Fortunately the reception desk had very effective pills which were given out free of charge - within an hour or two I was back to normal. For those who might be unable to keep a pill down the doctor can give an injection instead as  david05 mentioned (and I think that was also free of charge). 

If you feel that you are simply unable to cruise again then it would seem that you have good grounds for asking for a refund on the cruise you have booked. It might be that for medical reasons  you are unable to take the treatment offered (pills or jab) and I can't see that Saga would refuse a refund in those circumstances. 

It might be better to ask for a refund and then to book a Saga hotel stay, rather than trying to transfer your payment, as that would mean involving staff in different bits of the organisation and might prove to be a bit complicated. Good luck -

and let us know the outcome!

The Sapphire corkscrewed spectacularly. The sea sickness pills had no charge but the injection did. 

18 hours ago, JoJo1947 said:

The sea sickness pills had no charge but the injection did. 

Thanks for clearing that up! I imagine that if one were that bad, paying for the injection would be money very well spent. 

One my one trip on the Spirit of Discovery I got the impression that it was more stable than the Sapphire, but it is not really possible to compare ships on the basis of a single cruise when sea conditions vary so much. Perhaps someone with more experience of the two ships is in a better position to say if the SofD is noticeably better.

I don't think the SoD is any more stable than the Sapphire, just different.

All ships pitch in a bad swell, and the pitching can be distinctly uncomfortable, sometimes there is a cross swell that does not look much but can cause the feel of quite alarming wallowing, which is possibly what was experienced on the Sapphire - I always found her a very steady ship, handling some atrocious weather with ease The SoD seems to have a very distinctive movement - we noticed as soon as we left Southampton harbour she developed a faint and rather ladylike sway - in rough weather the sway became a bit less faint and a bit less ladylike, but apart from that she also handled rough seas very well.