ALCOHOL NOT BEING SERVED IN GREEK PORTS?

iloveglee

Has anyone sailed recently with Celestyal and had an issue with not being served alcohol whilst docked in greek ports.  Strange question I know, as this isn't something I have ever experienced on other cruises.  The issue appears to be with NCL cruises, we have been telling (some) passengers that they are not allowed (greek law), to serve alcohol whilst docked in a greek port. 

Does anyone know if this is in fact true, and applies to all cruise lines.  Or just some lines, or even just the one!!  We are booked on NCL in september - wanted Celestyal for preference but the dates didn't fit.  Now I am wondering if we made the right decision.  It's very difficult to get a definitive answer to this, as some are reporting yes they were refused alcohol during port stays, and others saying, no issues noticed at all.  Some are saying this is just a social media rumour got out of hand, others, who are reporting from an actual ship say it's true.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We travelled on ncl jade in April 22. We embarked in Athens and They would not serve any drinks - except water until we were 6 miles out of port. They said it was a new regulation in Greece. We are seasoned cruisers and have travelled widely in Greece and never experienced this. But later on they same cruise we also docked in Rhodes and they did serve alcohol whilst in port. I have complained to ncl and asked for clarification but they are avoiding answering direct questions. This is only being applied on ncl ships and not at all Greek ports. It seems to be related to if ncl have completed correct paperwork and fees for the port. We have a pre booked cruise with them In summer and they still will not answer if this “regulation” is actually in force currently. This is defo an ncl issue and I hope more cruisers question what it’s about.