Do we need a tour at Puntarenas?

lissie

Trying to work out whether there is anything to see at  this port or whether a tour is worthwhile. Iknow we could go to the beach - but we have other beach stops on this cruise - more interested in wildlife and the jungle. 

• 3 weeks later...

For wild life and jungle I would recommend a tour. In Puntarenas itself one can walk around to get the local flavour. A nice church, a market, well just local life, no over important sights.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2022 at 7:52 AM, lissie said:

Trying to work out whether there is anything to see at  this port or whether a tour is worthwhile. Iknow we could go to the beach - but we have other beach stops on this cruise - more interested in wildlife and the jungle. 

There's really nothing much to do/see in the port itself.  Given your interests, definitely take a tour.  Look for one that lets you take a boat down the Tarcoles River -- lots of wildlife.  And/or a tour that goes into the rainforest.  We've been to Puntarenas twice, took tours both times.  Really enjoyed our visits.

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQZtpaWHW4vef3Hdm7dz6Pas?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1524507673

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQZN23LR_r7xkqHRRwk0WKER?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1519070276

00-m8Z7QgQNSN1pSiWVw3FAIG1nv5s5FgYR4GzGtunnUQbhDwogwPsMZ2B7qjp3OC4w?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1519070265

(photos by turtles06)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Great photos - the boat one is sold out - but several feature a canopy sky walk which sounds good. I've tried to reach out to local tour operators but either got no reply or their prices are higher than the ship-organized tours 

8 hours ago, lissie said:

Great photos - the boat one is sold out - but several feature a canopy sky walk which sounds good. I've tried to reach out to local tour operators but either got no reply or their prices are higher than the ship-organized tours 

Thanks for the kind words about my photos.   As for the prices of private shorex  -- private shorex are smaller groups, move faster (no waiting for 40 of your closest friends to get back on a bus), see more, and are more fun.  A small group of us on our Roll Call had a fantastic day out of Puntarenas pre-pandemic with Gio Tours (that's the day I took the photos above), but I recently tried to contact them and got no reply.  (I'm not sure all of these companies survived the pandemic, sadly.)

Enjoy whatever you wind up doing!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for the kind words about my photos.   As for the prices of private shorex  -- private shorex are smaller groups, move faster (no waiting for 40 of your closest friends to get back on a bus), see more, and are more fun.  A small group of us on our Roll Call had a fantastic day out of Puntarenas pre-pandemic with Gio Tours (that's the day I took the photos above), but I recently tried to contact them and got no reply.  (I'm not sure all of these companies survived the pandemic, sadly.)

Enjoy whatever you wind up doing!

I did a tour in Puntarenas with Your Lucky Tour. it was very good

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...