Scarlet Lady / Live / Solo / Back to Back!

sid_9169

I’m going to be test driving two different cabin types for this back to back. On the first leg, I’ll be staying in the smallest cabin category on the entire vessel: their so-called “Solo Insider”... Listed at 105 square feet, they’re about the exact same size as Norwegian Cruise Lines’ solo cabins, which I’ve stayed in on multiple occasions. Small, but efficient, and everything you need is there. Certainly not as roomy or luxurious as larger cabins, but for passengers traveling on a budget, they’re just fine. For the second leg of the journey, I selected their “Solo Sea View”, of which there are only six on the entire ship. These are all the way forward, and triangular in shape. They’re listed at 130 square feet, and feature a forward view window, allowing at least some connection with the outdoors… On my previous Scarlet Lady cruise, I was in a mid-ship Sea Terrace, so this will be a whole new experience for me. I received a couple of offers to upgrade my cabin, and the rates weren’t too bad, but I wanted to try out these small cabins for the review, so I opted to just ignore the upsell offers…

Screenshot_20220502-114847.thumb.png.e2df73c5902c7a448389a505206d918e.png

Screenshot_20220502-114856.thumb.png.5a85bc9abad74cc4a1e1a40fa2e0d8e6.png

Screenshot_20220502-114905.thumb.png.e53875e94ce4c999bd7368a7b7542f7b.png

Screenshot_20220502-114913.png

• Like 8

I survived the work day, and I'm about to change my shoes and head out for my afternoon walk. It looks like it's getting pretty close to time to retire this old pair of shoes, but I think that I can get a FEW more miles out of them.

PXL_20220524_205948791.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

After seven cancellations with Virgin Voyages alone, I’m finally about to take the journey that was supposed to happen sooo long ago. I took them up on their offer of double the amount that I had initially paid, and my initial five night sailing turned into a back to back cruise that was fully paid for. The first leg, dubbed “Dominican Daze”, will be five nights, visiting Puerta Plata and Bimini. And, the second leg, which they call “Fire & Sunset Soirees”, a four night cruise, porting in Key West and Bimini… Something tells me that we won’t be visiting Key West, but as I write this two weeks out, they still have yet to inform passengers of the change. This means that we’ll likely be visiting Nassau, which means I’ll count it as a sea day. No offense to those who enjoy Nassau, I’ve just never found anything exciting about it. (Edited to add: There has still been no communication indicating a port change, and allegedly, we WILL in fact be porting at Key West for the very first time for Virgin Voyages.) Of course, I’ve done no specific planning, as I’ve always been under the impression that we would be redirected to Nassau. 

I’ve only been to Key West two times in my “cruising career”... On my very first sailing ever, on the old Carnival Fascination in 2010, and again upon the Carnival Breeze in 2015. I basically just walked the streets, and ate some lunch at a food truck that I’d read about… I’m going to put together one of my hand drawn maps, and see what I can get into there this time around…

My Brother lives there and spends a lot of time at Don's Place. 

• Like 2

I walked down to the owner of my company's condo to hang a painting for her. We're going to go out for dinner afterwards. Nowhere fancy like usual, just the OK Cafe... Lola says hello:)

PXL_20220524_215210074.jpg

• Like 24

Couple of pictures of dinner at OK Cafe this evening. Bone in pork chop, collard greens, and squash casserole... I'm back home now, and I'm trying to decide if I want to squeeze some limes and make some margaritas... Something tells me that I probably will 😉

PXL_20220524_225201496.thumb.jpg.f5762b25aa9d9c263cd9cfcffe389552.jpg

PXL_20220524_225204511.jpg

• Like 13

About a month ago, I picked up this handy dandy industrial strength citrus squeezer... The thing has pretty much changed my life, as fresh squeezed lime is the only way to go for a great margarita. It pulverized a couple just now, and with the precise measurements, adult beverage bliss is achieved. Tonight's drinks sponsored by Don Julio Anejo, and Naranja Orange Liquor from Mexico. This is the same stuff labeled as Controy "South of the border", and is the key to a great marg... 

PXL_20220524_234820767.thumb.jpg.262a3236602fdab471096295a5e38898.jpg

PXL_20220524_235630550.thumb.jpg.6ab6f0c0342a55dee588ae1b9d08be9b.jpg

PXL_20220524_235952568.jpg

• Like 11

3 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

I survived the work day, and I'm about to change my shoes and head out for my afternoon walk. It looks like it's getting pretty close to time to retire this old pair of shoes, but I think that I can get a FEW more miles out of them.

PXL_20220524_205948791.jpg

Those CAN NOT be comfortable 😂

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

For those of you who followed my prior adventure on the Scarlet Lady, you’ll recall the trials and tribulations that I endured to try and be among the very first to experience this new, now not so new cruise line for myself. While this entire situation of booking and rebooking my original cruise was going on, I actually won a free cruise in Virgin Voyages Shipload of Love contest, and I was finally able to experience all that she had to offer on her very first sailing from Miami on October 6th 2021… The food, the drinks, and the ship completely blew me away. It was definitely nothing like my prior experiences on Carnival and NCL. I loved the concept of being able to dine in a different restaurant every night INCLUDED in the cruise fare, rather than forking out extra for the specialty restaurants. In fact, I would consider every single place I dined to BE a specialty restaurant, on par or exceeding anything that I’ve ever eaten on land or sea. The food on board was head and shoulders above the offerings on the lines I had sailed, and this time, I’ll be able to experience the few places that I missed in my initial 4 night sailing. On my first sailing, Virgin Voyages set the bar pretty high in the dining department. This time around, I’ll be able to discern whether or not they’ve been able to maintain such high standards.

• Like 12

I'm sorry for stepping away from The Tribe, and I hope to jump back soon. For now, I'm excited to follow your latest trip. I'm so happy that this B2B worked out!

Ashley 

• Like 4