Regent July AK cruises...cancelled

edgee

Just received email cancelling our July 20 7 day Alaska cruise on Mainer. Looks like they are cancelling two sailings in July for mechanical reasons...urgent drydock needed. Compensation is 50% credit toward another Alaska cruise or 25% credit toward any future cruise in next 12 months. Not sure if we get refund if we select credit or whether we have to take all of our "refund" in the form of future credit if we choose 25% option. We will choose another cruise line to substitute for our cancelled Alaska cruise...cannot move our planned dates. Irony is that this Mariner cruise was our second planned Alaska cruise...we were originally booked on Crystal...bad karma or something....🤔

edgee:

E-ghads!  This will have ripple effects downstream.  Just made final payment and air arrangements for October 3rd Mariner segment starting at L.A. 

Will await further developments.  

GOARMY!

Will await develop

1 hour ago, GOARMY said:

edgee:

E-ghads!  This will have ripple effects downstream.  Just made final payment and air arrangements for October 3rd Mariner segment starting at L.A. 

GOARMY!

Will await develop

We are on the October 3rd cruise.  It will be our first on Regent after many years on Crystal.  Looking forward to meeting you.  Too bad we won't be on board on December 10th.  GONAVY!

GONAVY!:

We are also Crystal (shed a tear) alumni.  Following the Roll Call for that particular Mariner segment.  Hope all stays on schedule for our cruise.  Look forward to meeting you at the informal get-together, Deck 11,  1100H, on second sea day. 

In the interim--stay dry and safe. 

GOARMY!

We spent 25 days on the Mariner just prior to the initial Alaska season sailings.  No sign of any mechanical issues, but of course, we were not privy to anything going on below deck.  

Are you sure the cancellations are not for other reasons (I.e. ship chartered)? Agree if mechanical issues were “urgent” then it would be the next few cruises cancelled, not high season mid July cruises.  

1 hour ago, Sunprince said:

We spent 25 days on the Mariner just prior to the initial Alaska season sailings.  No sign of any mechanical issues, but of course, we were not privy to anything going on below deck.  

Are you sure the cancellations are not for other reasons (I.e. ship chartered)? Agree if mechanical issues were “urgent” then it would be the next few cruises cancelled, not high season mid July cruises.  

I apologize that I used the word "urgent." Regent actually used the word "unscheduled" maintenance. But one would think it had to be somewhat urgent to cancel 2 cruises on less than 8 weeks notice! Here is the verbage:

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,  

Our ships routinely undergo technical inspections to confirm our ships meet or exceed rigorous safety and performance standards. After one such recent examination it was determined that Seven Seas Mariner will be in need of unscheduled maintenance in the near future.

To accommodate this maintenance, Seven Seas Mariner will be required to dry-dock for a time period in July 2022, and therefore we regrettably have to cancel your cruise.

Ed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GOARMY said:

edgee:

GOARMY!

Will await develop

Well, I am optimistic enough to hope the ship will be in top shape by October. I went ahead and used my 25% future cruise credit they gave me as compensation to book the cruise after yours...10 day LA round trip on Oct. 15.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edgee said:

I apologize that I used the word "urgent." Regent actually used the word "unscheduled" maintenance. But one would think it had to be somewhat urgent to cancel 2 cruises on less than 8 weeks notice! Here is the verbage:

Dear Valued Guest and Travel Partner,  

Our ships routinely undergo technical inspections to confirm our ships meet or exceed rigorous safety and performance standards. After one such recent examination it was determined that Seven Seas Mariner will be in need of unscheduled maintenance in the near future.

To accommodate this maintenance, Seven Seas Mariner will be required to dry-dock for a time period in July 2022, and therefore we regrettably have to cancel your cruise.

Ed

This is very clearly communicated, thanks for posting this information.

This is not good for Regent,  the Alaska summer season was scheduled to be “back to normal capacity”, so losing 2 cruises in prime season is a major loss…unfortunately.

That’s so sad for those booked on the 2 cruises effected. I read elsewhere that the prop got some damage on the last cruise in Alaska. It takes a while to book a large ship into dry dock and they obviously had no choice but to cancel the 2 cruises. Let’s hope that it doesn’t take any longer than the 2. 
Im booked for September, so fingers crossed for everyone. 

It is obviously important for Regent to ensure that the issue with Mariner (reportedly a recently damaged prop) is resolved as soon as practical.

The two 7-day cruises affected are not unique and were not fully booked. It therefore makes sense to carry out the repairs as soon as nearby dry-dock facilities could be arranged; encouraging those affected to move their cruise to one of the later available opportunities.

Extremely disappointing & frustrating for those whose cruise has been cancelled, but the compensation offered by Regent appears to be generous.

I hope all those affected manage to find something suitable to replace their cancelled cruise and do not suffer any adverse financial or personal consequences.

18 hours ago, GOARMY said:

This will have ripple effects downstream

I doubt that there will be ongoing consequences after the dry-dock. Presumably Regent are confident that the necessary work will be completed within the two-week time period allocated. The ship will then revert to its published schedule.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flossie009 said:

...It therefore makes sense to carry out the repairs as soon as nearby dry-dock facilities could be arranged...

There in lies the urgency.  If the repair yard says we can do the repair during "This week..." the next option might be months and a thousand of miles away.

9 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

If it is indeed a damaged prop they may be able to operate at lower speeds or just using azipods, I don't know...worst case they can just issue everyone oars and keep on cruisin'...

See the source image

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We had a pod fail in Alaska on the Mariner in 2006. We were delayed a day.  It took a while to go to Dry Dock and it caused quite a few missed ports in following sailings until it was 100% again.  I am doubting it will affect the October West Coast Sailings

Edited by ChatKat in Ca.

1 hour ago, ChatKat in Ca. said:

We had a pod fail in Alaska on the Mariner in 2006. We were delayed a day.  It took a while to go to Dry Dock and it caused quite a few missed ports in following sailings until it was 100% again.  I am doubting it will affect the October West Coast Sailings

Kathy, we were sitting in Signatures when they announced that we would be a day late arriving and a loud cheer arose; except from you as you had arranged a post-cruise tour for a group.  Pod didn't actually fail it was damaged by ice and seas were so bad that using just one pod lowered our speed to a crawl.

11 hours ago, mrlevin said:

Kathy, we were sitting in Signatures when they announced that we would be a day late arriving and a loud cheer arose; except from you as you had arranged a post-cruise tour for a group.  Pod didn't actually fail it was damaged by ice and seas were so bad that using just one pod lowered our speed to a crawl.

That's true!  Except we had the engines off and were towed into port by the Coast Guard. We were in the lobby and the elevators were crazy jumping from the seas.

We were on the next segment and though we lost a day and some ports they gave us a free cruise of same length plus they opened the bars for the whole trip with free drinks.  Our group who had all been to Alaska before were a very happy group. Smartly they had a letter in our cabin when we got on outlining this so very few complainers except for those who didn’t get on.  Those were the days

On 5/24/2022 at 12:55 PM, GOARMY said:

edgee:

Will await develop

GOARMY,

We'll be disembarking Mariner the day you embark.  We had final payment as we embarked Navigator to Montreal.  I too hope the ripples dissipate by our cruise so you'll have smoothe sailing too.

Chuck----

Keep thinking positive thoughts.  So-many aspects of today's cruising environment are beyond our control. 

Hopefully, an upcoming cruise following Mariner will parallel your just-completed Navigator segment.  One year from today--in NYC visiting our son and two grandchildren; anticipating boarding Navigator yet-again for a B/t/B ending up back at NYC.  

Take care.

Jim and Sue

GOARMY!

Edited by GOARMY
Update.