Another insurance question…..

I’m feeling overwhelmed-

I have searched many of the insurance companies/sites that have been mentioned in different forums-

We are booked to sail b2b AU/NZ (after cruise with confidence has stopped). On a lot of the policies I was comparing, it said we needed to cancel 72 hours prior to departure-but what if covid test needs to be taken 2 days prior to boarding and that’s when we test positive?

Recommendations on policies that let you cancel closer to departure date? Much appreciated!

I think many of the policies either have or don't have a Covid provision.    It is important to ask what is and isn't covered if you test up to or while on a cruise to fully understand the coverage.

• Thanks 1

Check out tripinsurancestore.com, I’m pretty sure all the policies they have include Covid coverage.  If you have questions you can call and Steve or someone on his team will be glad to answer your questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity will give you a refund  if you have to cancel your cruise due failing the Covid test.  So you will be covered if you fail the test 48 hours before.   Here is the link to their policy.  So you it appears you don’t have to worry.  I would go with the policy that best suits all your concerns and not focus on the Covid portion too much.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/pdf/cel-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

• Thanks 1

Are you talking about the Cancel for Any Reason provision? 

There is no time limit that I am aware of if you are cancelling for a covered reason such as  medical. That is why you buy insurance. One can become ill or have an accident at any time.

Covid is covered as a medical condition, the same as any other illness. If you test positive, get a doctor’s confirmation of the diagnosis if your policy requires it, and file a claim.

Nevertheless, it is good advice to consult a professional if you have questions about choosing a policy that is right for you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Since we are talking about insurance, I have a couple of trips lined up in the next 12 months. I rarely purchase insurance when booking my trips or airfare, but with all the stories I've read about travelers, getting sick while on vacation, I am considering getting a yearly policy for my upcoming trips. Can anyone recommend a good company that offers a yearly coverage for medical, trip cancellation/interruption/delays and lost/delayed luggage.

7 minutes ago, destar said:

Since we are talking about insurance, I have a couple of trips lined up in the next 12 months. I rarely purchase insurance when booking my trips or airfare, but with all the stories I've read about travelers, getting sick while on vacation, I am considering getting a yearly policy for my upcoming trips. Can anyone recommend a good company that offers a yearly coverage for medical, trip cancellation/interruption/delays and lost/delayed luggage.

Allianz offers annual policies, but you’ll find that the travel benefits are capped at fairly low levels. Your choices for such an annual plan will be limited because most annuals cover primarily medical.

6 minutes ago, Babr said:

Allianz offers annual policies, but you’ll find that the benefits are capped at fairly low levels. Your choices for such an annual plan will be limited because most annuals cover primarily medical.

11 minutes ago, destar said:

Can anyone recommend a good company that offers a yearly coverage for medical, trip cancellation/interruption/delays and lost/delayed luggage.

My simple answer is NO, there aren't any annual comprehensive plans that work well for most people. All of the annual plans I am aware of have significant holes, and unless the holes are not important to you (because you have other coverage or are willing to self-insure some things), I doubt you will find what I think you are looking for.  The common issues I have include:

• Most plans do not offer adequate medical coverage.  All but one have $50K or less and the one with $100K is usually more expensive than purchasing individual plans.
  • None offer more than $15K of trip cancelation, and most offer a lot less.
  • All have other quirks.

Plans I have looked at include those from: Arch RoamRight, Allianz, Travel Guard, Nationwide, Travel Insured, Seven Corners, and Trawick Intl.  Whenever someone on these boards mentions they have a comprehensive annual plan, I often ask which one.  I rarely get a response.

My approach is to get an annual medical/ evacuation plan from GeoBlue, and supplement it with a Chase credit card. Then I sometimes purchase an inexpensive trip specific plan for certain trips if circumstances warrant.  I have used Nationwide Essential and others. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Chase Sapphire Preferred card. 
https://account.chase.com/sapphire/preferred/benefits

Scroll down to “Protection” on the left screen menu, then “expand for more.”

It does not include a pre-existing condition waiver.

I had a claim several years ago, and they did pay.

Edited by Suzanne123

5 hours ago, btc1951 said:

Jersey42 - What value does the Chase credit card add?

@Suzanne123 pointed you in the right direction. Here are some more thoughts.

• Pre existing conditions are not covered for cancellation or interruption.  There is a 60 day lookback period.  Unlike many insurance plans, pre-existing condition coverage is excluded not only for you and your traveling companion, but also for non-traveling family members.
  • Trip Interruption coverage is more limited than many insurance plans such as no return transportation home or hotel costs.
  • Covered reasons for cancellation and interruption may be more limited than what you find in a typical insurance plan.
  • Very limited medical coverage.
  • Here is the guide to benefits. https://static.chasecdn.com/content/services/structured-document/document.en.pdf/card/benefits-center/product-benefits-guide-pdf/BGC10979_SapphirePreferred_VisaSignature.pdf
  • You can look up the other benefits which are pretty good as long as the pre-existing conditions clause does not bite you.
  • We sometime purchase a separate plan when the trip is expensive and pre-existing conditions might be an issue.
  • Chase Sapphire Reserve is another card that offers more benefits at a much higher annual fee. The pre-existing conditions clause is the same.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, btc1951 said:

Oh wow, I have a Chase Freedom card and just checked the benefits and we are covered as well. Yippee!

Be sure to read the Guide to Benefits and the responses to the thread you started here before you get too excited about your credit card coverage. If your husband has had some health issues recently as stated in the other thread, he may well have a pre-existing condition. In that case, you are not covered for a cancellation caused by that condition.  The policy does not provide coverage for trip delay, and trip interruption will not pay for return travel. 

If you are looking for rock-solid coverage, this is not it.

39 minutes ago, btc1951 said:

Oh wow, I have a Chase Freedom card and just checked the benefits and we are covered as well. Yippee!

Just saw this after I submitted my response.  Freedom cover less items and fewer dollar amounts than Preferred (or Reserve).  I believe the limitations I mentioned above are the same for the Freedom card.

It's all about your situation and risk tolerance.  The benefit amounts are in the big print.  The limitations are in the fine print.  As @Babr just said, be sure to read the guide to benefits, especially regarding pre-existing conditions, trip interruption benefits and covered reasons.

FYI - Here is the Chase  definition of a pre-existing condition:

Pre-Existing Condition – illness, disease or accidental injury of You, Your Traveling Companion, Your Immediate Family Member or the Immediate Family Member of Your Traveling Companion, for which medical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended or received within the sixty (60) day period immediately prior to the initial deposit or booking date (whichever occurs first) of a Trip; the taking of prescription drugs or medication for a controlled condition throughout this sixty (60) day period will not be considered to be a treatment of illness or disease; . . .

Edited by Jersey42
  • Like 1