Do you have to be rich or well off to go on 🌏cruise

lovegod01

In addition to your definition of "Rich", it depends on the experience you consider acceptable. Lots of budget world cruises available, but like everything else, you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

Definitions of "well to do" and "rich" will depend upon the person.  The more money in the bank, the decision to book a world cruise does become easier.  But, when I booked my world cruise, I did not consider myself "rich" or "well to do" (and I still feel that way).  I have been throughout my life a "saver" and an "investor".  

The year before I booked my world cruise, I had booked an expensive grand-type voyage that I had to cancel because of an illness.  My travel insurance and the refund I received from the cruise line was the seed money that I used to pay the deposit for the world cruise and was then able to use the rest of that money along with my cash flow to pay for the remainder of the trip.  I did not need to tap into my savings to pay the fare nor the credit card charges accrued during the trip.  

4 minutes ago, lovegod01 said:

Thanks for the reply’s my dream to do world cruise but worried financially won’t be achievable 

I should also have mentioned, that the cruise line's base price is often not an accurate indication of total cost, especially with World Cruises.

We have complete 2 World Cruises, so far:

• 2015 WC on Princess, 104-night R/T from Sydney. Posted price was about $33K pp
  • 2020 WC on Viking, 119-night from L/A to Greenwich. Posted price was about $60K pp

By the end of both cruises, after all expenses were added to the spreadsheet, the net daily cost was virtually identical. Yes, we could have done the Princess cruise cheaper with economy flights, which are included on Viking, but if we are taking a WC, we are going to be comfortable and enjoy it. Sitting in economy for 15+ hrs, at our age, isn't comfort.

The other consideration, when taking a World Cruise, is you want opportunities to not only see the World, but also experience the World. It is critical to compare the sea day/port days ratio, the number of hours alongside and most importantly the number of overnights and double overnights in a port. Overnights and double overnights significantly reduce the chance of missing the ship, and provide real opportunities to explore.

You will find the cheaper World Cruises tend to have more sea days, less hours in port and fewer if any overnight/double overnights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

My idea of rich is to now be in my 70s with good health and the resources to do whatever I want. My wants are modest.  Regarding my world cruise, I shopped carefully with a spreadsheet and selected one with some ports I haven't been to yet and a nice mix of sea days to relax and enjoy the ship.  Second consideration was the cost per day.  Since I sometimes do three to four cruises a year, my WC will be the only cruise I do that year and will cost about the same per day as I usually spend cruising.

Being of sound mind and body, I'm spending the kid's inheritance.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 11
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Second consideration was the cost per day.  Since I sometimes do three to four cruises a year, my WC will be the only cruise I do that year and will cost about the same per day as I usually spend cruising.

Cost per day has always been a consideration of mine when selecting a cruise.  That has become a bit less of a concern when choosing my most recent cruises.  The year that I sailed on my world cruise, that was the only cruise for me that year.  I really don't recall the cost per day for the world cruise, but, it was not outlandish or I would remember that.  

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

Being of sound mind and body, I'm spending the kid's inheritance.

so am I and they don't mind. And the almost 5 month is actually enough for me. We will be gone 2 month July/August, then I am leaving Dec. 20th for the World Cruise, returning middle of May. I think I will enjoy some home-time after that.

Edited by BVILady
forgot something
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, BVILady said:

. I think I will enjoy some home-time after that.

Particularly where you live!  When I visited BVI, I did enjoy it.  Beautiful islands and friendly citizens.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 12:41 PM, Gail & Marty sailing away said:

Some people do a inside cabin and some do a suite . on a world cruse

True.  There's a cabin for everybody.  Once you step outside your cabin, the ship is the same for everybody.  When I sail solo, an inside fits my needs perfectly since even with a balcony I don't spend that much time in my cabin.  

Some people drive an econo box and some people drive a luxury car.  Both get you where your need to go.  It's a matter of what you want and what you can afford.

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

It's not just the cost of the cruise and expenses remember. If somebody is retired and has no mortgage to pay for instance then the cost to them relative to the cost to someone who is taking time away from paid employment and needing to fund a mortgage is significantly different.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 8:09 AM, jimbo1683 said:

It's not just the cost of the cruise and expenses remember. If somebody is retired and has no mortgage to pay for instance then the cost to them relative to the cost to someone who is taking time away from paid employment and needing to fund a mortgage is significantly different.

Also, the kids have left home

• Like 1

My pickup truck is 20 years old.  I maintain it myself and keep it waxed.   Several guys that I know trade in their trucks every four to five years to keep up with the new bells and whistles.  Since I bought my truck, every five years or so I'll price a new one equipped like mine.  This year a similar model is over $70K.

Over the years the money I've saved has paid for a lot of cruises.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I had just kept on saving until my retirement days without any exact plan, maybe use the money for a rental-unit or whatever would come up. Had to use some for Hurricane-repairs and building-extension I had felt needed and now I am spending my children's inheritance and they are ok with it. But I am living pretty frugal anyhow, driving a Suzuki jeep and not a Jeep-jeep and cooking at home, love cooking and am comfortable at home don't need to go out a lot. So when it comes to vacation times I can spend my money for whatever I feel like. including all the shopping 😄😁😄in preparation and during.

• Like 8

7 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

My pickup truck is 20 years old.  I maintain it myself and keep it waxed.   Several guys that I know trade in their trucks every four to five years to keep up with the new bells and whistles.  Since I bought my truck, every five years or so I'll price a new one equipped like mine.  This year a similar model is over $70K.

Like you, I keep a car until I am afraid it is going to start "nickel and diming" me or is beginning to do it.  I do have routine maintenance work done as required and that helps keep the vehicle operating properly.  With that thought in mind, when I do shop for a new car, it can become a very difficult decision to make a well informed decision and one that I can live with for a number of years.  In 2019, when I bought my 2020 Buick, I read reviews, did more shopping than I have ever done, took more test drives than usual.  It took me many months to decide what to buy.  I am very happy with my choice.  

6 hours ago, BVILady said:

But I am living pretty frugal anyhow,

That has been my lifestyle for decades.  I do "treat" myself on occasion and I did take vacations as well booking cruises.  But, I didn't vacation at luxury resorts nor book the top suites on my cruises.  

Making good and informed investments has certainly helped as well.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I keep my vehicles for 10 years and keep them serviced.

Then buy new again but only a basic model.

Don't need all the add on expensive bells and whistles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ekka49 said:

Don't need all the add on expensive bells and whistles.

I once thought that as well.  But, in selecting my current car, the safety and convenience "bells and whistles" are really somethings that I really like.  The "bird's eye view of the car when parking is really an excellent advancement.  The car has Parking Assist, but, I haven't been brave enough to try to use it.  

• Like 2

On 9/27/2022 at 12:21 PM, rkacruiser said:

I once thought that as well.  But, in selecting my current car, the safety and convenience "bells and whistles" are really somethings that I really like.  The "bird's eye view of the car when parking is really an excellent advancement.  The car has Parking Assist, but, I haven't been brave enough to try to use it.  

Back in my working days, I was the same - bought the most cost-effective basic vehicle with the best fuel economy.

In retirement, we enjoy the comforts of life, having just replaced my F-350 with a F-450 King Ranch. The bells & whistles, including the massaging seats, the 12" screen and a host of others are a huge improvement over the old 2016 truck.

With improved fuel economy it is also cheaper to operate.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The bells & whistles, including the massaging seats, the 12" screen and a host of others are a huge improvement over the old 2016 truck.

With improved fuel economy it is also cheaper to operate.

Don't have massaging seats, but do have heated and cooled seats with a heated steering wheel which makes Winter driving in Ohio and Summer driving wherever more pleasant.  Fuel economy has been very good.  (A very hesitant buyer of a car with a turbo 4 cylinder engine; other than my first car--a Corvair--it's been a six--either straight or a V-6.  The power, the pick-up, no turbo lag.  Very pleased.)  I don't drive a great deal anymore:  don't have the need.  Made a visit to a gas station this afternoon; according to my record book, the last visit was late June of this year.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2022 at 3:08 PM, lovegod01 said:

Thanks for the reply’s my dream to do world cruise but worried financially won’t be achievable 

That is an easy worry to figure out.   Look at costs for a world cruise with the cruise line you are interested in and the room category you want.  Add costs for excursions, drinks on board, tips,, travel to and from the embarkation/debarkation port (don’t forget hotels),   Then you have an idea of your cost.  

Figure out how much you need to save per month to get that much money and do it.  It is amazing how many daily “necessities” aren’t needed when you start thinking about it.  Is your money better spent on a daily coffee or clothes or shoes or tattoos or whatever or is it better to save it for your dream - a world cruise.  Makes a bigger difference when you look at vehicles, houses, etc.  Believe me…as a couple who decided to retire at 55 when we were 22….setting a goal and thinking of it whenever you want to buy something makes a big difference on how you spend your money.  When our friends were buying newer bigger houses and cars, we were dreaming of retirement and saving money.  By the way,, we saved so much money that we were able to retire at 40, not 55!

Edited by Wayfairers
  • Like 5

One thing I was wondering about is how one defines "rich".  

By my way of thinking, I'm the richest guy in the world.  In my 70s I have my health and am not on any prescription medications.  I have a wonderful wife who "lets" me do whatever I want to do with old cars and new motorcycles.  We've saved and invested to where now we can do whatever we want and whenever we want.  We keep crossing things off and adding more to our bucket lists (his, hers, and joint) The kids are grown and have always been independent financially once we got them through college. Being of sound mind and body, we are spending their inheritance and with continued good fortune we'll slide in late for our own funerals and that last check will bounce.

Yes, I'm the richest guy in the world and looking forward to more bucket list items.

• Like 10

On 11/5/2022 at 6:32 PM, SargassoPirate said:

One thing I was wondering about is how one defines "rich".  

I was asking my three kids, all in their mid 30s, if anyone had bought a Powerball ticket. Our daughter answered, don't need to, I've already won the lottery. 🙂

• Haha 2