AARP Carnival Discount Gift Cards

Use a good cash back card (pay the balance off when the purchase posts) and you will save a little more. I used my Chase Double Cash Back Card to save another 2%. IMPORTANT TO NOTE. These WILL NOT be posted on your credit card as "travel related" so don't think you will get a return on Travel from your card. AARP will post these as Charitable Organization purchases.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, SDPadreFan said:

Use a good cash back card (pay the balance off when the purchase posts) and you will save a little more. I used my Chase Double Cash Back Card to save another 2%. IMPORTANT TO NOTE. These WILL NOT be posted on your credit card as "travel related" so don't think you will get a return on Travel from your card. AARP will post these as Charitable Organization purchases.

"These WILL NOT be posted on your credit card as "travel related" so don't think you will get a return on Travel from your card. AARP will post these as Charitable Organization purchases."

Thank you, good information to know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2022 at 9:37 PM, cruisemom2 said:

Yes, I bought some yesterday and used part of one to pay the difference when I jumped from Freedom to Mardi Gras. This morning used some more of it to pay for internet for our cruise tomorrow.

when you buy these can you use them to pay off your next cruise balance

28 minutes ago, jvescape said:

Where do you find these on the site?

You have to first sign up for the Rewards Program, then go to the Rewards and scroll and scroll! I just bought five for a HAL cruise. I could not find a way to search for the specific Reward.

• Like 1

I gave up this week trying to buy Carnival & RCCL Gift Cards. I’ve been attempting to buy the $100 cards on both cruise lines. It always stops me. So, I called RCCL yesterday and was told to use Chrome.

So, I installed the App. No difference, after I put in my method of payment (have tried Credit & even Debit cards), it locks & doesn’t allow me to finish. 

I’ve bought them for years from AARP online, off my iPad, no problems. 

Anybody have a suggestion?

🛳🛳

Bobbi

12 minutes ago, Markmom18 said:

I gave up this week trying to buy Carnival & RCCL Gift Cards. I’ve been attempting to buy the $100 cards on both cruise lines. It always stops me. So, I called RCCL yesterday and was told to use Chrome.

So, I installed the App. No difference, after I put in my method of payment (have tried Credit & even Debit cards), it locks & doesn’t allow me to finish. 

I’ve bought them for years from AARP online, off my iPad, no problems. 

Anybody have a suggestion?

🛳🛳

Bobbi

I had the same problem.  FOr some reason it wouldn't accept any credit cards. So I just use paypal and use the credit card thru them.  I have purchased $2000 i goft cards over the last 3 months.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bafinegan said:

I had the same problem.  FOr some reason it wouldn't accept any credit cards. So I just use paypal and use the credit card thru them.  I have purchased $2000 i goft cards over the last 3 months.

Hi,

I just read your message, so I popped over to AARP & logged in. Clicked on PayPal option. Again, nothing … 🙁🙁.

I can do the quizzes, see my Profile etc etc. Just can’t purchase! Soooo frustrating.

Did I miss a step? Do I need to do anything besides click the PayPal “circle” option?  

I even tried the PP option AND putting in my credit card info … the C.C. I use for PP.

I do appreciate your tip though, happy that somebody has found a way around this … just trying to spend some money on AARP ( and save $10 too 😁)

🛳🛳

Bobbi

9 hours ago, Markmom18 said:

Hi,

I just read your message, so I popped over to AARP & logged in. Clicked on PayPal option. Again, nothing … 🙁🙁.

I can do the quizzes, see my Profile etc etc. Just can’t purchase! Soooo frustrating.

Did I miss a step? Do I need to do anything besides click the PayPal “circle” option?  

I even tried the PP option AND putting in my credit card info … the C.C. I use for PP.

I do appreciate your tip though, happy that somebody has found a way around this … just trying to spend some money on AARP ( and save $10 too 😁)

🛳🛳

Bobbi

@bafinegan gave you the correct answer. I had the same issue and used what they said and it worked for me also.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/7/2022 at 3:53 PM, crystalspin said:

You have to first sign up for the Rewards Program, then go to the Rewards and scroll and scroll! I just bought five for a HAL cruise. I could not find a way to search for the specific Reward.

I didn't know you could use them for other cruise lines.  Were you successful in applying the gifts cards to HAL?  

40 minutes ago, Californian said:

I didn't know you could use them for other cruise lines.  Were you successful in applying the gifts cards to HAL?  

You buy the cards FOR the cruiseline you want. I did not apply Carnival to HAL if that's what you mean. Lines that are showing on my Rewards search are Carnival (Premium), Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, Princess, and Holland America. Princess and HAL are NOT marked "members only", the others are.

Found out what Premium means -- you can buy TWENTY FIVE, $500 for $450 cards, per month!

I did buy HAL cards, the limit of five in May and five in June and successfully applied nine of the ten to two HAL bookings (saving one to apply on board), and paid the cruise off yesterday (Final Payment is the Fourth or TODAY if wanting to talk to a person). 

If you are a member and have somehow built up more than 150 points, there is also a Carnival card Sweepstakes running through July. You can "buy" 10 chances per day. Since I don't know what else to do with points, I am going to buy the sweepstakes chances until I use up my points, because I do have a Carnival cruise booked!

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, justafem said:

Can I buy the AARP gift cards and use them to pay for excursions, dining or drink package?  

Cruise is completely paid for, just wanting to save some money on the add-ons.

Absolutely! We did. Paid for excursions, specialty dining, prepaid gratuities, drinks on the ship, Fun Shop items......in other words, EVERYTHING on board the ship you can purchase. It just goes to your Sail & Sign card onboard account. 

Just now, Joe817 said:

Absolutely! We did. Paid for excursions, specialty dining, prepaid gratuities, drinks on the ship, Fun Shop items......in other words, EVERYTHING on board the ship you can purchase. It just goes to your Sail & Sign card onboard account. 

I was actually thinking precruise purchase.  But thanks for that great advice!