Ohio River Cruise

Just booked the Ohio River cruise for the Aug. 6th departure, St.Louis to Pittsburgh. Have not been on ACL since fall of 2019 (Hudson River cruise) due to Covid. Anyone booked or have been on the Ohio River cruise?

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't done it as a passenger, but did it decades ago on a towboat.  Hope you enjoy locks and dams, cause there are 20 on the way to Pittsburgh.  While passenger vessels get priority, locking for commercial tows can be quite a challenge, with the boat only capable of bringing a few barges through at a time, and then locking back, picking up more, and locking through again.  Sometimes takes a day or two.

• Like 1

SteelM, It will indeed be a leisurely (slow) trip, but quite scenic and lovely.  We sailed on the last excursion of the President riverboat many years ago, from Pittsburgh to Steubenville.  We were on the river from 9am to 6pm. It was interesting seeing the towns we only knew from the highway side. Many of the passengers elected to stay inside and play bingo for the entire trip.  We buttoned up our winter coats and stayed out on deck the whole day. When we arrived in Steubenville, we were met by chartered buses to take us back to Pittsburgh.  We were home in 45 minutes. The bus trip was not nearly as scenic as the river trip.

We have taken a pontoon boat up the Allegheny River (where your boat will probably be docked when you arrive) a couple of times.  Because of the slow procedure of going through the locks, we developed the tradition of Lock Lunch.  In each lock, once we were secured and had nothing much to do, another snack and drink would be passed around.  If you eventually get tired of seeing the locking process, you might use the occasion to enjoy a beverage or a bite.

Cheng, It's neat to learn that you, one of our favorite posters, was so close to our home at some point!  We are just above Emsworth L&D/Lock #1, which was the site of one of my first dates with the man who is now Mr. Shipgeeks.  We've witnessed the process you describe a number of times. It is interesting, and precise, and s-l-o-w.

7 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

Cheng, It's neat to learn that you, one of our favorite posters, was so close to our home at some point!  We are just above Emsworth L&D/Lock #1, which was the site of one of my first dates with the man who is now Mr. Shipgeeks.  We've witnessed the process you describe a number of times. It is interesting, and precise, and s-l-o-w.

I worked at the time (70's) for a barge company that ran the Mississippi from New Orleans to Paducah.  We pushed the large Miss tows of 30 barges (5 wide and 6 long), or nearly 900 feet of barges (about the length of a medium cruise ship).  We carried mostly coal southbound and bauxite and scrap iron northbound.  One time, our sister company, that operated on the Ohio River, went on strike, so our company decided we could just push the big tow up to Pittsburgh.  Due to lock size, this meant we could only lock 2 barges at a time through.  So, we tied the tow up below the lock (convenient tree), locked two barges through, tied them up to a tree, and left one deck hand and a pup tent to watch the barges.  We then locked back down, picked up 2 more barges, and rinse and repeat.  The two deck hands staying on each part of the tow would get their meals dropped to them whenever we got to them.  Not a real enjoyable way to spend about 3 weeks.  That was the last time they sent a big Mississippi boat and tow up the Ohio.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/28/2022 at 5:47 PM, SteelMagnolia9 said:

Just booked the Ohio River cruise for the Aug. 6th departure, St.Louis to Pittsburgh. Anyone booked or have been on the Ohio River cruise?

We took this cruise in 2019 on the Queen of the Mississippi (since renamed) and enjoyed it so much we are repeating it in 2023.  We went westbound, since we were more interested in a pre-cruise stay in Pittsburgh than in St Louis.  Highlights of the trip included Louisville, Cincinnati, and Mayfield.  in Cincinnati, we were docked directly beneath the ball field during a game, and when they won the game and shot off fireworks, burning bits showered down on the ship!

We were supposed to stop in Marietta, OH, but for some reason had to skip it.  But on the ship historian's recommendation, we later read David McCullough's amazing best seller "The Pioneers."  It is set in the Marietta area and describes what happened when this area was opened up after the Revolutionary War.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you for your replies. I have been offline with eye surgeries, limiting my computer and reading time. 

My cruise is now less than two weeks away departing Aug. 5th. I am very much looking forward to it and will be happy with a slow pace. The itinerary has changed twice since I booked. Here is the latest lineup as of 7/25/22:

St. Louis, MO

Paducah, KY

Evansville, IN

Louisville, KY

Cincinnati, OH

Maysville, KY

Marietta, OH

Wheeling, WV

Pittsburgh, PA 

I've booked my shore excursions, although Hendersonville, KY is now off the itinerary with Evansville, IN now on and replacing it. Cape Girardeau, MO was originally on the itinerary and is also off. I've been there previously on the Cumberland River cruise which is no longer offered. Nothing has been offered yet for Evansville nor for Wheeling, WV. I'm sure there will be the usual shore excursion talk the first day of the cruise. I've been to Paducah, KY on the Cumberland River cruise, so I didn't sign onto any excursion there. When I return home, I'll post all the offered shore excursions on my Ohio River cruise.

I'm a bit concerned about flight delays and cancellations going to St. Louis. In hindsight, I probably would have added an additional day in St. Louis at the Drury Plaza at the Arch (ACL pre-hotel) in case of delay. I booked my flight through ACL, so if there are flight issues, hopefully, they will be there to assist. This will be my third stay at this Drury in St. Louis. It was the beginning point for my Upper Mississippi River cruise and Cumberland River cruise. You can walk a short distance to the Arch. It is very close to the hotel. 

I booked a transfer today from the airport to the Drury through Viator. I booked a private sedan, price $54.42 for one person. I'll provide a brief review of that service here when I return.

Can"t wait!

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

Thanks! It looks like some schedules and boats are changing around.

We might try to get to the wharf and have a look, or watch her come through the first lock on the following trip.  Always fun to have the boats here.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

The cruise is a go. I received a surprise notification from ACL that since I booked my air with them, they will be providing me with included transportation from the airport in St. Louis to the Drury, the ACL pre-cruise hotel. I’ll be met at baggage claim. Nice. I called to confirm and ask a few questions and was told it was a new service for those who booked air through ACL. I cancelled my previous transportation arrangements.

I also received an email that others have received on their cruises that there will be no wi-fi on board. 

Starting to pack. Keeping my fingers crossed that I have no flight issues.

• Like 1

Made it safely to St. Louis with no flight issues and my included transportation was waiting for me. Checked into the hotel and room was ready. Received my welcome packet at the front desk and information for tomorrow. Very smooth travel day. I’ll provide some thoughts on the cruise when I return home. Looking forward to 10 relaxing days on the river.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone cruising to or from Pittsburgh, with an interest in seeing bald eagles:

We live about 6 miles from the Port of Pittsburgh, above Lock #1 on the Ohio River (Emsworth L&D). We have been seeing two bald eagles soaring, mostly just north of us, for most of the summer.  Yesterday we saw what appeared to be seven of them!

If you are on the Ohio River, within about ten miles from Pittsburgh, look north, above the trees, and you just might see them.

I returned home from the cruise on August 16th and finally have an opportunity to report back on the Ohio River Cruise. It was a wonderful experience and I met alot of nice people on this cruise, some with whom I'll stay in contact. I promised some shore excursion information when I returned, so I am including it below. The ports, of course, are always subject to change, so yours may be different than mine.

Paducah, Kentucky

Paducah Local Loop - Hop-on, Hop-Off Bus around Paducah

Paducah City Experience and National Quilt Museum

We were docked there all day. I just got off and walked around a bit as I had previously been to Paducah on the Cumberland River Cruise in 2019 (which has been discontinued). I had previously been on the Paducah City Experience and National Quilt Museum excursion in 2019 and would recommend it to you.

Evansville, Indiana

Evansville Local Loop - Hop-On, Hop-Off Bus around Evansville

Audubon Museum and Nature Center - I was on this excursion and enjoyed it. It interprets the life of John Audubon, famed artist and naturalist. Worthwhile, but not enough time to see all that was offered here. Self-guided.

Evansville Wartime Museum

Louisville, Kentucky

Day 1

The Frazier Kentucky History Museum Exploration

Downtown Louisville Shuttle - Bus drop off and pick up at two locations in downtown Louisville.

Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory - I am a baseball fan so I signed onto this excursion. If you like baseball, you'll enjoy seeing the museum and the baseball bat factory. We had a docent-led tour in the factory. More than enough time to see everything here.

Day 2

Kentucky Derby Museum and Horse Park - Almost everyone went on this excursion. Don't miss it, it was one of the highlights of the cruise.

To Be Con't - It is raining and lightning here, so submitting this portion now in case I lose power.

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

Shore Excursions Continued:

Cincinnati, Ohio

Cincinnati City Experience - City tour of Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky suburbs. Worthwhile 3 hour excursion, mostly on the bus with a few stops.

National Underground Railroad Freedom Center

Contemporary Art Center Exploration - I signed onto this excursion; however, it was canceled as it did not have enough interest.

Maysville, Kentucky

Discover Maysville - Hometown of Rosemary Clooney, singer and actress. I signed onto this excursion as I am interested in vintage theaters and it included a visit to The Russell Theater where her first movie premiered. 

Old Washington Exploration - Early Kentucky village with authentic frontier log cabins and early 19th century homes.

Both of these excursions were offered at the same time.

Marietta, Ohio 

Ohio River Museums Shuttle - This is a continuous loop to Campus Martius and Ohio River Museum, The Castle Historic House and Children's Toy and Doll Museum. 

The boat is docked within easy walking distance of shops and restaurants if the museums are not of interest to you. 

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Pittsburgh City Experience - Three hour city tour of Pittsburgh which I enjoyed.

The Andy Warhol Museum - We had a docent-led tour divided into two groups. I learned alot about the art and life of Andy Warhol that I did not know about previously. Fabulous!

Senator John Heinz History Center Exploration

I'm happy to answer any questions. Great crew all around. I did book another cruise for 2023 while onboard taking advantage of the onboard booking discount. You won't be disappointed if you decide to book the Ohio River Cruise.

Edited by SteelMagnolia9

• 2 weeks later...