Juneau, Whale Watch or Mendenhall???

hopelea

I was thinking about trying to book a whale watching trip with Capt. Larry for our upcoming trip. My dad wanted me to book the excursion where he can see Mendenhall Glacier. Which would you do?? I would like to say to my dad that there will be glaciers we can see from the ship. Is that true? I told him that we wouldn't be able to get up close and personal with the Glacier on a cruise ship excursion.

For those of you who did book with Capt. Larry, how easy is it to get to their place to take the excursion?

We will be on NCL Sun May 27.

Thanks.

Then get to Mendenhall first and see if Orca Enterprises can pick you up there? Otherwise, you do get a brief "drive by" view of Mendenhall and a distant view from your whale watch.

City bus is not a good option. It takes at least 45 mins. and the bus stop is over a mile from the visitor center. There are SHUTTLE buses direct from Downtown to the visitor center for about $12 round trip. Takes about 20 mins. each way.

So, budgetqueen, you are saying that if I get my party up and moving first thing, get off the ship when doors open. I could make it too Mendenhall for a quick look on our own. Then catch the whale watch trip?

That would be good. One more question is, do you think the whale watch is a "must" do? Or could we get away with doing a ships excursion combination of the Mendenhall Glacier & Wildlife quest? I know that Capt. Larry's would be more personal and better chances.

You can coordinate thru Orca enterprises to either stop at Mendenhall on whay to whale watch or to be picked up there or dropped off after by booking tickets for both. We did this on our last tour. We were dropped off there and then caught the Orca shuttle about an hour later. Enough since it was raining pretty good there.

So, budgetqueen, you are saying that if I get my party up and moving first thing, get off the ship when doors open. I could make it too Mendenhall for a quick look on our own. Then catch the whale watch trip?

That would be good. One more question is, do you think the whale watch is a "must" do? Or could we get away with doing a ships excursion combination of the Mendenhall Glacier & Wildlife quest? I know that Capt. Larry's would be more personal and better chances.

You need to inquire directly from Orca Enterprises if they can pick you up that particular day for your tour. IF whales are an interest, yes, a must do. :) Either tour option is good. I have been a long time customer of Orca Enterprises and have no desire to use anyone else. Allen Marine is a well run long standing Alaska operator.

City bus is not a good option. It takes at least 45 mins. and the bus stop is over a mile from the visitor center. There are SHUTTLE buses direct from Downtown to the visitor center for about $12 round trip. Takes about 20 mins. each way.

Sorry, that's what I meant, shuttle bus, not city bus! See, that's why you're the expert! :D

Archived