Silver Wind live

clarky

14 hours ago, jpalbny said:

100 days on the expedition cruise that we shared in 2017, if I'm not mistaken? But sadly, it's still a few more years until we can retire... Cannot wait to celebrate that milestone

That was our first cruise! @WesW and Ida were also there, seizing the day.  I must say, JP, that you guys aren’t waiting til retirement to travel well; it will be interesting to see what happens when you actually retire!

@Lois R I started the same year but you are the one who has attained senior stateswoman status on this forum 🙂  I want to cruise as much as you!  (My 100 days come partly from referrals and a cancelled cruise, so I’m a bit of an imposter. But free laundry is free laundry, right?)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2022 at 5:50 AM, clarky said:

We will be moving to a silver suite for the next leg of the cruise and a medallion suite for the third leg so I will post photos of those suites.

Hello clarky - I am following your reports on the Wind with great interest and appreciation - thank you.

We switched a forthcoming Falklands/S.Georgia/Antarctica trip from Cloud to Wind due to COVID issues. Having benefitted from excellent communication from the London office and the ship's officers we were advised that the Silver Suites - both in quantity and configuration - were quite different to the Cloud.

I'd be very appreciative of any photos of the Silver Suites you were able to post as you suggest - and confirmation that on the Wind there continues to be just 3 Silver Suites, compared to 12 on Cloud.

I very much look forward to continuing to follow your voyage with you.

Enjoy. 

On 6/4/2022 at 2:17 PM, Lois R said:

Its all about the timing.........most of you who already have the 100 days? You all have been sailing with SS since long before me. My first cruise was in 2017 where many of you have at least 10 years of cruising with them prior to that.........I would have made 100 before now but 2020 got in the way😲

My first was 2015..... And the 42 days earned from 2020/21 cancellations got me there quicker! Once bookings taken, I'll be up to 154, though no chance of next milestone I think.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, les37b said:

My first was 2015..... And the 42 days earned from 2020/21 cancellations got me there quicker! Once bookings taken, I'll be up to 154, though no chance of next milestone I think.

Les are you abandoning ship?

• Haha 2

Hi Spins,🙂 good to see you and hope all is well in your neck of the woods.  I was thinking the same thing after Les posted that...........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, spinnaker2 said:

Les are you abandoning ship?

Unless there is a change of heart re P2P or some super deals (which I have to admit I have found a few), then after my 3 fully paid bookings, I'm unlikely to book another. Never say never though. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, les37b said:

Hi Les,

I think at 150 you get additional 5% discount. Not sure but we are only 20 days behind that and will look forward to another five percent off. Will ask when we got on the Wind in a few weeks.

8 hours ago, les37b said:

…though no chance of next milestone I think.

😥

7 hours ago, les37b said:

Never say never though. 

Atta boy!  Good recovery.

Hate to see you turn into He Who Shall Not Be Named over a silly promotion you don’t like.  Chin up, ol’ chap!

5 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

Hi Les,

I think at 150 you get additional 5% discount. Not sure but we are only 20 days behind that and will look forward to another five percent off. Will ask when we got on the Wind in a few weeks.

Ooh.. that would be dandy. I thought it was 250. 

2 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

😥

Atta boy!  Good recovery.

Hate to see you turn into He Who Shall Not Be Named over a silly promotion you don’t like.  Chin up, ol’ chap!

Haha.... To be fair my comment on not reaching the next milestone is because even after our booked sailings have gone, I thought we still had another 100 days to go. So hopefully that was wrong. It was only Spins direct question, otherwise would have left at that... For too many future bookings to reach that goal.

Edited by les37b

5 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

think at 150 you get additional 5% discount.

Sadly, it’s 250 days, according to today’s Chronicles.

Last night I heard that these milestone discounts cannot be combined with the 5% for the earmarked Venetian voyages. Have others encountered that?

37 minutes ago, FauxNom said:

Sadly, it’s 250 days, according to today’s Chronicles.

Last night I heard that these milestone discounts cannot be combined with the 5% for the earmarked Venetian voyages. Have others encountered that?

Or shipboard bookings either no doubt!

Abandon ship! 😂

• Haha 1

As we have a sea day I thought I would post some more observations about our cruise.

Excursions have been wonderful.  We have been on two 8 hour tours which included lunch and they have been outstanding.  We have also cruised on Regent which includes excursions and the choice and quality of the SS tours are equal or better than Regent.  I believe the SS tours are superior than Regent is that the couches have fewer guests.  My only complaint was on our tour yesterday which was a four hour tour.  Apparently many guests decided that they just couldn't take another day of long touring.  I understand that the tours have been long and the temperature high but the tour conditions say at least 48 hours notice of a tour change is required.  Our 4 hour tour yesterday had 42 people and the coach had zero spare seats. The air con on the coach could not keep up with the heat outside and the number of people on the coach.  The excursions team managed to acquire another guide so we had three groups which was fine but the small Cafe we stopped at for coffee and pastries became overcrowded with our extra guests.  I know all the staff are very. keen to keep guests happy but it was a terribly overcrowded coach which was very uncomfortable. The excursion leader mentioned that due to the short notice of guests changes she did not have enough time to order another coach.

The service on board has been fantastic and we are enjoying the food.  Ged the onboard pianist is doing a wonderful job of trivia and put on a wonderful Elton John show last night in the theatre.

I will certainly post photos of the silver suite and the medallion suite.  Any other questions I'm happy to answer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FauxNom said:

No. We have received both in the past.

Do you mind sharing who you heard this milestone discount news from?  If what you heard is true, it’s a big material change from past SS policy.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, carefreecruise said:

Hi Les,

Almost true, it’s just an extra 150!

1 minute ago, Stumblefoot said:

Do you mind sharing who you heard this milestone discount news from? 

From another passenger, who happens to book through a TA who is perhaps not a Silversea expert. I’m glad to hear that my understanding is correct!

• Thanks 1

Hi all ..we have booked 2022 & 2023 and have enjoyed receiving our 5% Venetian member discount ( on certain sailing) & 5% 100 days !!! ( Plus free laundry ) I personally have no issues with the door to door prices ( just have the door to door transport taken off the price as we would not use that portion of the fare )  ...most of our Cruises now are short haul around the Mediterranean ( due to my health issues) but more then happy to cruise & enjoy the experience of meeting so many interesting people from further afield!!  Happy sailing 🚢 ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 11:50 AM, FauxNom said:

I’m celebrating 2 milestones on this cruise: retirement and free laundry! My butler just delivered a bunch of crumpled active wear on hangers and my linen shirt was even ironed. I am impressed!

Warmest congratulations!   I recently joined you on the retirement milestone, but it won't feel official until my SS voyage at the end of this month - when I'll no longer need to bring a laptop, check email or work while on vacation! 🙂

Edited by Dolcevita Diva
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

I'll no longer need to bring a laptop, check email or work while on vacation! 🙂

The best feeling! Congratulations to you too!

@clarky My fault for the thread going astray—sorry 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Yesterday was a much-needed sea day; I think most of us were exhausted from the busy excursion schedule combined with very high temperatures. It reached 39 C our first day in Sicily! 

The tours have been mostly wonderful, with excellent guides and really interesting content ranging from archeological sites to wineries to unique museums. I was on the long tour that many abandoned to join Clarky’s shorter tour, fleeing the heat. On my tour, with two minimally populated buses, the expedition team was able to divide us up and let the hot, tired, and bedraggled return to the ship early. I was impressed by the team’s ability to make adjustments mid-tour. In addition, they have begun offering a hiking option in each port—pushing the expedition experience a bit more.

One interesting aspect of this cruise is that there seem to be many passengers who prefer to view it as a classic cruise. Some (I have heard) have been disappointed or surprised by the lack of formal nights, dress code, and strenuous tours. For me, it feels like a nice mix of classic and expedition. For example, having an entertainment director means we have daily trivia and performances in two lounges by truly talented performers. My prior expedition trips have featured a keyboardist playing mostly background music.

The Venetian party was last night. Remarkably, 86 of the ~140 passengers had sailed with Silversea before. One couple had sailed 994 days!

We just docked in Motril, Spain, so I’m off to the Alhambra!

Here is a look at where they added zodiacs to the Wind, taken from La Terrazza.

6E0F795A-2B6B-499C-B6DE-545E2B369415.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2022 at 10:49 AM, clarky said:

As we have a sea day I thought I would post some more observations about our cruise.

Excursions have been wonderful.  We have been on two 8 hour tours which included lunch and they have been outstanding.  We have also cruised on Regent which includes excursions and the choice and quality of the SS tours are equal or better than Regent.  I believe the SS tours are superior than Regent is that the couches have fewer guests.  My only complaint was on our tour yesterday which was a four hour tour.  Apparently many guests decided that they just couldn't take another day of long touring.  I understand that the tours have been long and the temperature high but the tour conditions say at least 48 hours notice of a tour change is required.  Our 4 hour tour yesterday had 42 people and the coach had zero spare seats. The air con on the coach could not keep up with the heat outside and the number of people on the coach.  The excursions team managed to acquire another guide so we had three groups which was fine but the small Cafe we stopped at for coffee and pastries became overcrowded with our extra guests.  I know all the staff are very. keen to keep guests happy but it was a terribly overcrowded coach which was very uncomfortable. The excursion leader mentioned that due to the short notice of guests changes she did not have enough time to order another coach.

The service on board has been fantastic and we are enjoying the food.  Ged the onboard pianist is doing a wonderful job of trivia and put on a wonderful Elton John show last night in the theatre.

I will certainly post photos of the silver suite and the medallion suite.  Any other questions I'm happy to answer.

Please give my love to Ged. He’s a fantastic pianist and a lovely guy. Thanks for the reports, I’m enjoying following along. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FauxNom said:

Here is a look at where they added zodiacs to the Wind, taken from La Terrazza.

Wait, I don’t understand.  Are you saying the Wind carries the zodiacs behind the ship outside La Terrazza while sailing and during transit between morning and afternoon excursions?

1 minute ago, Stumblefoot said:

Wait, I don’t understand.  Are you saying the Wind carries the zodiacs behind the ship outside La Terrazza while sailing and during transit between morning and afternoon excursions?

It would appear to me that unlike the Cloud where the zodiacs are stored aft but above deck 9 on the Wind they are stored aft on a platform on deck 6.   Not view enhancing but it is an expedition ship now.  🙁

2 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

It would appear to me that unlike the Cloud where the zodiacs are stored aft but above deck 9 on the Wind they are stored aft on a platform on deck 6.   Not view enhancing but it is an expedition ship now.  🙁

That’s what I was thinking… what a way to destroy the intimacy of La Terrazza and the views afforded during al fresco dining.

So, from your explanation above, has the Cloud changed where it stores the zodiacs?  Pre-Covid, when we were on board in 2020, the zodiacs were stored near the bow just outside the workout room, not aft.