Water for shore excursions

I have not been able to drink the tap water served on (made) on the ship. It has too high of a sodium content causing my feet swell terribly. For the last 15 years or so I have ued only bottle water for drinking and have avoided the ice.

Is the water they are providing now for refillable bottles the same as the tap water? 

• Like 1

You generally can find bottled water (plastic bottles) in the fitness center along with Gatorade and other drinks. 
Just pick up a couple extra for your excursions. 
The refillable water stations do not seem to me to use “tap” water. 
I did find the refillable water bottles disturbingly heavy for carrying on shore excursions. 

Edited by labonnevie
  • Like 2

The water at the refill stations is filtered multiple times. I can't say if that removes the level of sodium that you find bothersome, but it certainly tastes good.

The bottles they provide are lightweight metal with a plastic screw-off lid and a wide mouth. I don't find them any heavier empty than a typical single-use bottle. But they do hold quite a bit, so will be heavy when full. They are not insulated, so don't keep the water cold. And, in fact, if you fill one with cold water you might find the bottle too cold to handle.

I bring a  flexible plastic water bottle that I can fold up when it's empty for excursions of just a few hours. Something along these lines https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CQNB7QT/ref=twister_B08N69WRGB?_encoding=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

For longer excursions, I'll take the bottle the ship provides since it holds a good quantity of water.

BTW, on my early May cruise on Mariner, I did not see any water bottles in the fitness center--only sports drinks.

Edited by wishIweretravelling

5 hours ago, labonnevie said:

You generally can find bottled water (plastic bottles) in the fitness center along with Gatorade and other drinks. 
Just pick up a couple extra for your excursions. 
The refillable water stations do not seem to me to use “tap” water. 
I did find the refillable water bottles disturbingly heavy for carrying on shore excursions. 

No plastic water bottles in the fitness center on Explorer in March, only Vero water stations and sports drinks, and the water is perfectly fine. 

https://www.verowater.com

1 hour ago, asnaleah said:

Is spring water available in the restaurants and in the suites? 

They use refillable carafes with the filtered water.  We do not like it, so we ask our steward to fill the fridge with Perrier. 

Will have to find out if the veto process takes the excess sodium out of the ship made water. If it does that will solve the problem. Otherwise I will have to come up with another solution.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cwn said:

Will have to find out if the veto process takes the excess sodium out of the ship made water. If it does that will solve the problem. Otherwise I will have to come up with another solution.

I'm a "water retainer," too, and have had no problem whatsoever with the Vero water.  Since the post-covid cruise restart we have sailed on Explorer, Mariner & Splendor...no problem on any of them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

I'm a "water retainer," too, and have had no problem whatsoever with the Vero water.  Since the post-covid cruise restart we have sailed on Explorer, Mariner & Splendor...no problem on any of them.

Thanks for the reply. That is a relief.

1 hour ago, Kwaj girl said:

Great! Thanks for letting us know of your experiences.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ysolde said:

Can you ask your steward to fill your fridge with a favorite spring water, among other items, or is this no longer allowed?

We ask for Perrier or Pellegrino and this far have not been refused.  We think the very water smells and tastes weird.

1 minute ago, RachelG said:

We ask for Perrier or Pellegrino and this far have not been refused.  We think the very water smells and tastes weird.

Ah, yes, mineral (bubbly) waters.  My husband likes those.  But I do wonder whether they will stock spring (flat) water for you, now that they have switched to this system.  I am trying to avoid mycobacteria whenever possible.

Just now, ysolde said:

Ah, yes, mineral (bubbly) waters.  My husband likes those.  But I do wonder whether they will stock spring (flat) water for you, now that they have switched to this system.  I am trying to avoid mycobacteria whenever possible.

We switched to bubbly in order to avoid the issue.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lady Meer said:

Are the metal water bottles changed daily?

Aloha Lady Meer.

The metal water vessels are yours to use throughout your cruise and then to take with you afterwards.   Assuming you will be using the vessels for water, you can use the room temperature spout on the refill stations to rinse them before filling them with chilled water.   

Also, a much larger glass Vero water bottle / carafe [or two] will be in your room which you can also use to fill the metal vessels.    The water tasted proper and fresh on Mariner in Dec/Jan.

2 hours ago, daetchief said:

Aloha Lady Meer.

The metal water vessels are yours to use throughout your cruise and then to take with you afterwards.   Assuming you will be using the vessels for water, you can use the room temperature spout on the refill stations to rinse them before filling them with chilled water.   

Also, a much larger glass Vero water bottle / carafe [or two] will be in your room which you can also use to fill the metal vessels.    The water tasted proper and fresh on Mariner in Dec/Jan.

Thanks for that.  We’re new to Regent but, sadly, having to wait until Nov 2023 for our first experience, unless anything tempts us in the meantime!

On 5/31/2022 at 9:16 AM, asnaleah said:

Oh dear. No still spring water?! I really don’t like the bubbles. May have to organize some kind of water delivery to the ship. What a huge pain!

The Vero water I had on an Oceania cruise was flat. Not sure if it’s available in sparkling. To me, “spring” water denotes the source, not whether it has been later carbonated.

Enjoy your cruise.