Schedule allow for excursion of Panama Canal Old Locks?

greatestvalue

I am so sorry if this is a silly question. I have not had opportunity to read all the history of the canal yet so I am unsure where everything is situated. 

I am taking an NCL cruise on the Joy, which will most likely go thru the new locks due to size? 

Im confirming, based on the schedule attached, we are porting Saturday night (Panama City, Pacific Cruise Terminal, Panama) will be in port until 10 pm Sunday night passing thru the Canal Daylight Transit on Monday. 

I want to make sure before I book this cruise if we go thru the new locks, that we can at minimum take an excursion to see and learn about the old locks. 

Therefore, we should should be able to take an excursion on Sunday while in "Panama City" to see the old locks? Is this correct? 

Someone said that would be possible, IF we were docking at the port. It looks to me like we are docking at port. 

TIA

panama.PNG

54 minutes ago, greatestvalue said:

Im confirming, based on the schedule attached, we are porting Saturday night (Panama City, Pacific Cruise Terminal, Panama) will be in port until 10 pm Sunday night passing thru the Canal Daylight Transit on Monday. 

The itinerary you cut and pasted from the NCL web site says you don't arrive in Panama City until Sunday at 6pm, and you will be there all day on Monday.  (You won't really be leaving at 10pm on Monday, because you have a daylight transit of the Canal that does not begin until very early on Tuesday.) 

Unfortunately, I believe the Miraflores Visitors Center is closed on Mondays (link below; open the menu for Schedule); that would have been the closest and probably easiest viewing point for you of the original locks.  However, Panama is not that large; there may be opportunities for you to see the original locks on the Atlantic side.  Also, you should check what shore excursions NCL is offering.   (I believe they may have a partial transit on a ferry through the original Pacific locks.  On the shore excursion menu for this cruise they have something called "The Panama Canal Experience."  You should call NCL and get more information from them about this.)  If you do some research on Trip Advisor, you should also find private tours, although nothing vetted here personally. 

I do hope others who read your post have additional suggestions.  

https://visitcanaldepanama.com/en/points-of-interest/miraflores-visitor-center/

• Like 1

@Turtles06 - But because we will be there all day Monday.  One way or another, it appears that we should be able to set up something to see/learn about the old locks? 

And I will absolutely do the research via the resources you have shared...Thank you so much!

1 hour ago, greatestvalue said:

Someone said that would be possible, IF we were docking at the port. It looks to me like we are docking at port. 

You were the "someone" I was referring to in the above statement.....LOL  

Since you will be in Panama City, anchored or docked, all day Monday…I’m pretty sure NCL will offer a tour that offers a passage through a set of the old locks on a small tour boat.  What kind of tours is NCL offering?  EM

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Since you will be in Panama City, anchored or docked, all day Monday…I’m pretty sure NCL will offer a tour that offers a passage through a set of the old locks on a small tour boat.  What kind of tours is NCL offering?  EM

EM — see my reply above. There’s a shorex called The Panama Canal Experience, which looks like a partial transit by ferry. It’s why I suggested the OP call NCL and confirm what that is. 

• Like 1

@Turtles06- thank you so much for your insight. 

I spoke to NCL and they offer a tour called Panama Canal by Ferry - this specifically says you will go through 2 locks. 

As well as, the Panama Canal Experience - a bit cheaper but does not specifically state 2 locks. 

So one way or another, there are opportunities as you said, as long as you are "docked" there for the day. 

Im all booked on the right cruise.....So thank you!!

• Like 1