World cruise 🚢

lovegod01

26 minutes ago, lovegod01 said:

Is a world cruise 🚢 generally a one off thing for most or do people intend to do more than 1

Our initial thoughts of a World Cruise are that it was one and done, considering the cost and commitment required.

However, our first WC on Princess was a huge disappointment in that the ship resembled a Greek tramp ship and the meals/entertainment were rubbish. If fact, after 40 yrs of both working & cruising with Princess, that was our last ever cruise with them.

Since the first was a disappointment, we eventually decided to try another one, spending a couple of years researching and selecting a new cruise line - Viking Ocean. We booked the 2020 WC with Viking, which was a spectacular cruise, with standards comparable to cruising back in the 70's. Unfortunately, due to COVID, we didn't get into many ports.

Therefore, we have now booked our 3rd WC, again on Viking, departing in January 2023.

Some pax on our first WC were on their 9th, booking the same WC every year. 

• Like 2

We thought it would be a one time thing, but are booked on second one … both 180 days on Oceania.  There are people who do the world cruise every year on HAL.  I also know several people on Oceania that have done 3-4 of the 180-day voyages.  For us, a considerably different itinerary was a must in order to book a second time regardless of the fact that we thoroughly enjoyed our first world cruise.

Edited by 2552phxcrzr
  • Like 1

When I booked mine, I wasn't thinking about whether I would book another one.  I was too preoccupied and excited to deal with a future world cruise.  

Returning to Fort Lauderdale after 113 days, I wasn't ready to disembark.  I continued to look at itineraries and kept in touch with friends whom I met, some of whom did book another one, two, etc.  Much encouragement by them to accompany them, but, I kept finding other cruises that I wanted to book.  Which I did.  

It takes a person in good health to fully enjoy and appreciate a world cruise.  While my health is good overall, my current physical abilities cause me to question that sailing on another world cruise now is a good idea.  If I had a traveling companion that could go with me, I think I would try to do so.  

5 hours ago, 2552phxcrzr said:

We thought it would be a one time thing, but are booked on second one … both 180 days on Oceania.  There are people who do the world cruise every year on HAL.  I also know several people on Oceania that have done 3-4 of the 180-day voyages.  For us, a considerably different itinerary was a must in order to book a second time regardless of the fact that we thoroughly enjoyed our first world cruise.

If you don’t mind me asking did you wait for retirement to do it 

• Like 2

I have cruised before and did finally decide on a World Cruise, then looked afterwards for a cruise with ports in Africa,, since that really had been an area I have not been to, besides a Safari in Kenya. Now I am booked on two World Cruises with Costa for 2023 and 2024 because of different ports to visit. I am retired and cruising solo, Costa's price for solo cruising has been an important factor for me. Now I just have to stay in top shape to fully enjoy exploring the World.

I thought we were of the one and done variety too (even though we are 202 days from our first one).  But now I wonder…….

A few years ago, I asked my Viking rep to let me know when the 2024 cruises drop because that was DH’s anticipated retirement.  Covid happened, so did early retirement so we scheduled for 2022-23.  However, my rep called me to let me know that the later cruises had dropped.  Rather than thank my rep for remembering my request, DH wanted to know the itinerary.  My best guess is that had the itinerary been a little different, we’d be scheduled for a second world cruise.  I may have created a monster!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Mich3554 said:

I thought we were of the one and done variety too (even though we are 202 days from our first one).  But now I wonder…….

A few years ago, I asked my Viking rep to let me know when the 2024 cruises drop because that was DH’s anticipated retirement.  Covid happened, so did early retirement so we scheduled for 2022-23.  However, my rep called me to let me know that the later cruises had dropped.  Rather than thank my rep for remembering my request, DH wanted to know the itinerary.  My best guess is that had the itinerary been a little different, we’d be scheduled for a second world cruise.  I may have created a monster!

Haha!! we'll work on him for you during the 4-months on Neptune.😁

• 2 weeks later...

I read these topics on the forums because we're planning to hopefully do our one and only world cruise in a few years time.  I rarely comment because I've never done one so have very little advice I could give.  I imagine that many world cruisers/potential world cruisers are in the same position as us.  The answers on this forum are unlikely to reflect that because the people that tend to keep checking and helping on the world cruise threads are the ones who have already done at least one are likely to do another!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Noo said:

I read these topics on the forums because we're planning to hopefully do our one and only world cruise in a few years time.  I rarely comment because I've never done one so have very little advice I could give.  I imagine that many world cruisers/potential world cruisers are in the same position as us.  The answers on this forum are unlikely to reflect that because the people that tend to keep checking and helping on the world cruise threads are the ones who have already done at least one are likely to do another!

I have cruised before but not done a World Cruise before, January 2023 will be my first. So considering and planning your one and only World Cruise I recommend that you just keep on reading the posts here and also try to figure out where you would like to go most and take it from there, check itineraries and like in my case prices, since cruising solo tends to be quite expensive. And then go from there and enjoy planning. The only reason I have planned 2 World Cruises is because of the ports I want to visit and because I have found a cruise-line which makes it price-wise possible for me. There are so many possibilities out there and planning is a great part of the fun.

• Like 3

Each cruise line that does world cruises has a forum here on Cruise Critic. Each forum has threads about their own world cruises. Use the search function to find WC threads and read, read, read. Then ask questions and most will be happy to help you with the details.🍸

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BVILady said:

I have cruised before but not done a World Cruise before, January 2023 will be my first. So considering and planning your one and only World Cruise I recommend that you just keep on reading the posts here and also try to figure out where you would like to go most and take it from there, check itineraries and like in my case prices, since cruising solo tends to be quite expensive. And then go from there and enjoy planning. The only reason I have planned 2 World Cruises is because of the ports I want to visit and because I have found a cruise-line which makes it price-wise possible for me. There are so many possibilities out there and planning is a great part of the fun.

Do you mind me asking who you're going with?  We've tried a few lines so far but only three of them do world cruises and only two of those I'd do again.🙂

44 minutes ago, Noo said:

Do you mind me asking who you're going with?  We've tried a few lines so far but only three of them do world cruises and only two of those I'd do again.🙂

I am going with Costa, just finished booking my excursions for the 2023 World Cruise, which some might call a Grand Voyage since it just goes from Europe to India, almost around Africa and around South America returning to Europe through the Panama Canal. My total for excursions is $ 7050 now and I have not penny-pinched, have actually Taj Mahal and Iguaza Falls Overland Tours booked,  Petra was an included tour. Again all the overland tours single-occupancy so more pricey. So far by my calculations considering all I can think off like laundry, Insurance, Drinks, Service Charge, Tips, Fuel Surcharge, Luggage Forward.... $  42,000 - not bad for covering all my expenses. I have been on Costa several times before and know I will be happy with it. I have been on other cruise lines like HAL, P&O, Princess and various other European lines not so well known, so not married to Costa. The itinerary was what I had been looking for and the price is right.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, BVILady said:

I am going with Costa, just finished booking my excursions for the 2023 World Cruise, which some might call a Grand Voyage since it just goes from Europe to India, almost around Africa and around South America returning to Europe through the Panama Canal. My total for excursions is $ 7050 now and I have not penny-pinched, have actually Taj Mahal and Iguaza Falls Overland Tours booked,  Petra was an included tour. Again all the overland tours single-occupancy so more pricey. So far by my calculations considering all I can think off like laundry, Insurance, Drinks, Service Charge, Tips, Fuel Surcharge, Luggage Forward.... $  42,000 - not bad for covering all my expenses. I have been on Costa several times before and know I will be happy with it. I have been on other cruise lines like HAL, P&O, Princess and various other European lines not so well known, so not married to Costa. The itinerary was what I had been looking for and the price is right.

Thanks very much.  I remember liking their itinerary but I don't think I priced them up fully.  I wish they'd make it easier to get cost info!  I think Princess are one of our favourites at the moment, although I probably should admit that on here! 🙂  Anyway, I should leave this now before we derail the thread any further.

1 minute ago, Noo said:

Thanks very much.  I remember liking their itinerary but I don't think I priced them up fully.  I wish they'd make it easier to get cost info!  I think Princess are one of our favourites at the moment, although I probably should admit that on here! 🙂  Anyway, I should leave this now before we derail the thread any further.

Just check posts from Inside Cabin, she has a really good cost-calculator. At Princess you will also need to figure out extra costs like excursions, actually that is something you need to figure out for most cruise-lines even the one's advertising excursions included, because usually not all excursions are included, for example overland tours and a lot of the longer and classier excursions have additional pricing.

2 hours ago, BVILady said:

Just check posts from Inside Cabin, she has a really good cost-calculator. At Princess you will also need to figure out extra costs like excursions, actually that is something you need to figure out for most cruise-lines even the one's advertising excursions included, because usually not all excursions are included, for example overland tours and a lot of the longer and classier excursions have additional pricing.

Here is a link to my World Cruise FAQ.   Focused on HAL cruises, but much is applicable to any world cruise.

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin
  • Thanks 1

We have taken two half world cruises on Holland America.  In 2014 from Hong Kong to Ft Lauderdale and in 2017 from Ft Lauderdale to Hong Kong.  Both were 56 days, which was a comfortable time for us to be away from home.  Not all WCs sell out, so it is worth looking to see if segments of them are available.  We have fond memories of both trips.

• Like 1

We have booked our first World Cruise for January 2024 on Azamara Onward.  155 days Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona.  Our longest cruise so far is 60 days, so this is definitely a jump for us.

I have enjoyed reading about others experiences with World Cruises.  I have learned a lot.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/20/2022 at 6:34 AM, 2ndsailing said:

We have booked our first World Cruise for January 2024 on Azamara Onward.  155 days Fort Lauderdale to Barcelona.  Our longest cruise so far is 60 days, so this is definitely a jump for us.

I have enjoyed reading about others experiences with World Cruises.  I have learned a lot.

I looked at this WC too, but it overlapped with a 30-day land tour deferred from 2020. One of the first decisions is to choose cruise line and ship size.  Princess would definitely not suit me for 150+ days.  When I compared Azamara with their generous OBC and extra shore excursions OBC, they were much the same price as Regent Seven Seas with included excursions.  Even though my RSS World Cruise isn’t until 2025, I am already investigating Viking’s extended cruises to visit other parts of the world missed in 2025.  (Britain, Greenland, Iceland.)  I can see that world cruising can become addictive!

• 8 months later...

Researching this, I am surprised that lines such as Cunard, HAL, Princess, often few included benefits on their full World Cruises, yet Oceana, Viking, Regent, and others, offer so much more.  Even both Italian Lines, MSC & Costa, offer many included tours and such.  Royal Caribbean's first 9 month World offering, offers many included tours, etc.

My question is why the big three, seem to offer much fewer inducements for the full World Tour, then they did 10-15 years ago?

Viking, Oceania and Regent charge you so much more. It is all a matter of calculations. When I checked Viking one time the excursions they did include were not the excursions I would have wanted to book and would have had to pay for them again. Currently on Costa Deliziosa World Tour which had included wine, beer and water with lunch and dinner and I got a special on the My Drink Package at 2.200 euro's for the 128 days, Gratuities are not included, but they come to Euro 11 per day. Wifi was Euro 500 for the entire cruise. The included excursions for example are Petra, Kennedy Space Center, so high ticket items. Their list has more then 15 tours as included tours so you book the 15 you do want, if you want to book more you will need to pay for the tours in excess of 15. Most people do take advantage of the 15 included tours. So you need to take a pen and work it all out. I am pleased with my cruise, I definitely get my money's worth and got a good deal. Especially being a solo traveler, Sometimes cruise companies offer a better deal then the listed one as specials. Someone booked Princess  2024 world cruise single including drink package, gratuities and internet for 39000, not bad. I have booked 2024 Costa early and expect to end up with a similar total but including all my excursions.  The price for 2025 Costa World cruise single occupancy right now is pretty reasonable. Have been to all the ports on there already at least once, so will need to find some land-vacations again for 2025.

16 hours ago, gkbiiii said:

Researching this, I am surprised that lines such as Cunard, HAL, Princess, often few included benefits on their full World Cruises, yet Oceana, Viking, Regent, and others, offer so much more.  Even both Italian Lines, MSC & Costa, offer many included tours and such.  Royal Caribbean's first 9 month World offering, offers many included tours, etc.

My question is why the big three, seem to offer much fewer inducements for the full World Tour, then they did 10-15 years ago?

Having completed World Cruises on both Princess and Viking, I can confirm that Viking is more all-inclusive than Princess. The biggest difference, is the difference in business models, where mega ship owners require significant onboard spend.

With Viking, the base cost is significantly more expensive, but by the end of the cruise, the true daily spend can be very close. Although, everyone has different usage and styles, this is our experience.

Princess - 2015 WC R/T from Sydney, 104 nights

Viking - 2020 WC L/A to Greenwich, 120 nights

The base cost of the Viking cruise was close to double the base cost of the Princess cruise. The cabins were both balcony, midships on a lower deck. The Viking cabin was approx 25% bigger than the Princess cabin. At the end of the cruise, once all costs were included, the actual daily cost was virtually identical. However, the standards on Viking were vastly superior.

Another factor to consider with World Cruises, is segments. Most cruise lines can't fill an entire ship for 100+ days, so must create multiple segments to fill the ship. With Princess, < 25% of pax joined for the full World Cruise, so 75% of the pax changed every segment. This completely changed the ship's vibe and our experience was a series of B2B's, not a World Cruise.

Viking routinely fill the World Cruise ship, so once the ship departs all pax are on for the duration. Starting next year, they are scheduling 2 ships for World cruises and may fill both of them, such is the demand.

• Like 1