Hubbard glacier. Anyone getting close?

jskinsd

On 5/31/2022 at 6:11 PM, Glaciers said:

Of 6 trips to Hubbard we've only gotten close twice and that was years ago. We only got to about 9 miles from the face this month.

That's too bad. Our four trips there (May/September) we've gotten very close. Just lucky I guess and some great captains.

2 hours ago, Ashland said:

That's too bad. Our four trips there (May/September) we've gotten very close. Just lucky I guess and some great captains.

Did you make it past Haenke Island each time? Which line did you travel on?

2 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Did you make it past Haenke Island each time? Which line did you travel on?

Yes...RCI and will be doing it again this September so we'll see.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 8:12 AM, RussNJodi said:

Am I correct in assuming you are more likely to get closer to Hubbard the later in the season you are? 

I hope so because I will be there in September

• Like 1

I can’t verify, but we got probably around 5 miles away (my brain says 5, but some others have said 7?) 2 Saturday’s ago....we couldn’t get closer because there was a TON of ice in the water....the excursion boat got within 1/2 mile, but for $100 less, we got within 1/4 mile on a 6 hour kenai fjords tour before we got on the ship to a great glacier.....

i cant even fathom a cruise ship being within a half mile, where was all the calving ice? Haha 

22 hours ago, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

Just got off the NCL Sun yesterday (10 day R/T Seattle) - we got VERY CLOSE to Hubbard Glacier - nice, sunny day - ship stayed for a long time 

Thank you.  I will be on the Sun and at Hubbard in two weeks.  It is good to know at least a ship has made it close to the glacier.✌️

On the Senerade last week.  The captain took us very close. Close enough to see some walls of ice fall.  We were told it was the closest they had been able to get this year. We were well past the island.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2022 at 10:57 PM, volk904 said:

On the Senerade last week.  The captain took us very close. Close enough to see some walls of ice fall.  We were told it was the closest they had been able to get this year. We were well past the island.  

Thanks for this!  I think I'll just have to hope for a day with good conditions...  I REALLY want to take the small boat excursion but at $1,176 for 4 people, I just can't justify it.

We were there last week on Celebrity Eclipse.  The guide/narrator on the ship mentioned that we were two miles out probably 15-20 minutes before we started to turn back out so we were likely closer.

GORGEOUS weather!

Just got off Celebrity Millennium. After leaving Hubbard, Captain announced that we had been 1.2 nautical miles from the glacier, which is about 1.4 miles. He seemed proud, and I suppose rightly so. The ship went into quite a field of small ice. Perfect sunny weather, and a good amount of calving. The small boat excursion seemed to get within 1/4 mile, and must have been fun. It was sold out quite early, though it seemed a few spaces opened up near the end.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 11:12 PM, DogLover said:

On our Celebrity Eclipse cruise in August 2019, we got within a half mile of Hubbard Glacier. Yes, you read that correctly .... it was UNBELIEVABLE! Captain Leo said it was the closest he had EVER been able to get. Conditions were optimal and rare.

Leonardos Palaiokrassas (@captainl3o) • Instagram photos and videos

Capt Leo is great!

• Like 1

We were on the Senerade the first week of June.  We got really close in my opinion.  The cruise director said it was the closest they had been.  The small boat excursion they had 50+ took a group right up to it very close.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was on the Grand Princess also and was disappointed how far away we were. Not anywhere near passing the island. We did get a decent distance into College Fjord and were past the Harvard Yale split. Closest I've been in years but still far away from the Glacier face

On 6/24/2022 at 11:54 AM, DevilinaBluDress said:

Captain Leo and his crew did it again! Weds this week we were within 3/10 of a mile. Saw a lot of calving. We also did the small boat tour that went a smidgen closer. 

616E27E9-41D7-4DF4-827A-9609D6E2E39C.jpeg

We did the behind the scenes tour today and learned that it was the closest ever. The Assistant Captain said it was a 1 in 1000 sailing event to get that close.

We were there on Serenade on Thursday. We were not able to get very close and did not see any calving, but I’m a first timer and was completely awe-struck regardless. The captain said there were too many large ice chunks to get any closer. The small boat excursion got suuuper close, I’ll have to spring for that one someday but it was just so expensive. 

85A488E2-3BB0-4795-9782-D40144B642F4.jpeg

B8FDBE17-2549-4DEF-B249-093C10806F38.jpeg

We were on the Majestic Princess 14-day itinerary (June18-July 2).  Our Hubbard date was 6/26.  We were so happy that we were able to take the Hubbard excursion which off-loaded from the ship.  We were able to get within a half mile of the glacier and the ship was about 3 miles away.  This was our third attempt to take this excursion (the other two had been cancelled due to fog and vendor issues) and we were SOO..........................happy that all went well.  We had an incredible time:  good weather and lots of calving.  For us, the tour price was well worth the memories.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Italy52 said:

We were on the Majestic Princess 14-day itinerary (June18-July 2).  Our Hubbard date was 6/26.  We were so happy that we were able to take the Hubbard excursion which off-loaded from the ship.  We were able to get within a half mile of the glacier and the ship was about 3 miles away.  This was our third attempt to take this excursion (the other two had been cancelled due to fog and vendor issues) and we were SOO..........................happy that all went well.  We had an incredible time:  good weather and lots of calving.  For us, the tour price was well worth the memories.

So glad to hear this!

• Thanks 1