First time Fred cruisers.

Lindy028

We are taking our first cruise with Fred Olsen on Borealis on Friday, can anyone tell me if there are USB sockets in cabins. Also does the Buffet restaurant stay open later on embarkation day, we have a checkin time of 1:15. Any other info would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

7 hours ago, Lindy028 said:

We are taking our first cruise with Fred Olsen on Borealis on Friday, can anyone tell me if there are USB sockets in cabins. Also does the Buffet restaurant stay open later on embarkation day, we have a checkin time of 1:15. Any other info would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

When I sailed on Borealis in October/November 2021 there were 2 USB sockets over the desk. 

Which was just as well because I couldn't use the charger I carry as the only UK 3-pin socket was upside down.  Some people say what's the problem, just plug things in upside down, but because it was close to the desk surface although there was room for the gadget, there wasn't enough room to then plug the cables into it to charge anything as the slots were now facing down rather than up!

According to the daily planner for embarkation day, the buffet was open from 1.00-3.30pm for lunch, and again 3.45-4.45pm for afternoon tea.  Also the Poolside was open 12.30pm-7.00pm.

I hope you enjoy your cruise to the Faroe Islands.

Tigrou many thanks for the information, much appreciated. We are indeed off to the Faroe Islands, we have cruised many times before, but first time on Fred. The chance to sail from Liverpool and try Fred was too tempting to turn down. We are glad to not be flying anywhere at the moment, and are already looking at other Fred cruises from Liverpool. We are doing a fly cruise in August and are hoping a) we don’t get our flight cancelled and b) things have improved greatly at airports.

• Like 1

Sailing from Liverpool is a definite winner, even though I'm in the Midlands. 

I've mostly cruised out of the US, did 2 with Fred last autumn and wasn't sure they were for me when comparing with other lines pre-covid.  Then recently did my first post-covid cruises out of the US and it made me re-think Fred, and the 90-minute train ride rather than having to fly anywhere is a major advantage.  Unfortunately their prices, especially as a solo traveller, are a major disadvantage!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LandC said:

I agree that Fred’s launch prices are too high.  Unless the itinerary is very unusual I now wait and see if an offer is available nearer the departure date. 

Certainly up to twice the price that they used to be on a like for like basis when everything's considered and a real turn off when for the same price other lines are offering the same itineraries, better food, better entertainment and far better benefits.

We've done about 30 cruises with Fred... and now find that we're selecting other lines because his whole dynamic pricing strategy is just too much time, trouble and hassle. 

And the Bolette and the Borealis are not "new" ships, they are not "newly launched", terrace cabins do not have "balconies" and a change of names doesn’t make them any better that the Amsterdam or the Rotterdam which they originally were. How Fred thinks that he can charge twice as much as Holland America did for cruises on the same ships... is a mystery to me.

Fred. Jun seems to think that the Olsen "Brand" is something special but doesn’t take into account that in the ten years prior to Covid that he lost about 25% of his passengers, the prediction of a year ago that he would now be cruising with capacities at pre-covid levels has just not happened and  Fred lost £20,000,000 in Jan-March this year.

In my opinion... Fred's just got to realise that he's lost a significant proportion of his "captive market," he just can't attract the high spenders onto his "new" old, outdated ships and, to many people, his 'brand' is less and less attractive.