Shareholder OBC

jimbo1683

6 hours ago, mumoftwo said:

OK this is new to me - 100 shares look like £1000 and with a 14 day cruise coming up the return in terms of OBC look great.

Couple of questions how much OBC do you get for 14 day cruise - the link above suggests $250 or £150 quite a difference.

Any other benefits? Downsides clearly further fall in the share price (note was around £30 a share pre pandemic vs £10 now!)

The £150 is for United Kingdom brands with the caveat "*The onboard credit for Carnival Cruise Line, Costa Cruises, Cunard and Princess Cruises is determined based on the operational currency onboard the vessel". The onboard currency for Cunard is USD hence the OBC will be $250.

7 hours ago, mumoftwo said:

OK this is new to me - 100 shares look like £1000 and with a 14 day cruise coming up the return in terms of OBC look great.

Couple of questions how much OBC do you get for 14 day cruise - the link above suggests $250 or £150 quite a difference.

Any other benefits? Downsides clearly further fall in the share price (note was around £30 a share pre pandemic vs £10 now!)

As @North West Newbie has indicated, the shareholder OBC you receive depends on the currency used onboard the ship. For Cunard, that means you receive the OBC amounts listed in US Dollars. If you were to book a cruise on P&O UK, you would receive the amounts listed in UK Pounds. If you were to book a cruise on AIDA, you would receive the amounts listed in Euros. If you were to book a cruise on P&O Australia, you would receive the amounts listed in Australian Dollars.

Yes, there is a significant mismatch in the equivalent values of the OBC amounts for the currencies used onboard other lines. Carnival rarely makes adjustments to the OBC amounts to reflect currency exchange rates. I'm only finding twice that they have done so.

In 2009 they reduced the OBC amounts in Euros from €250/€100/€50 (equivalent to the amounts in US Dollars) to the current amounts of €200/€75/€40.

In 2013 they increased the OBC amounts in UK Pounds from £125/£50/£25 to the current amounts of £150/£60/£30.

There are no other shareholder benefits for booking cruises I am aware of other than the OBC amounts awarded for owning 100 Carnival shares.

15 minutes ago, carlmm said:

Is it possible to buy the shares after booking?

When do you need to own them to be eligable?

You just need to own the shares at the time you submit your request for the shareholder OBC. You may purchase the shares after booking.

On 6/2/2022 at 4:58 AM, jimbo1683 said:

I can't find the answer to this - i have sufficient shares in Carnival to apply for the shareholder OBC. My shares are held by Hargreaves Lansdown and I manage my investments through the app. What do I need to provide to Cunard to get the OBC? I cant find any option to obtain a certificate or letter or something official looking.

If you are using an app, you could just take a screen shot of a page in the app showing your holdings (number of shares and your name) and as previously suggested, blank out any details not required and send to Carnival Corp.

If you have access to an online HL account, send them a secure messsge - give dates of cruise/booking ref etc. That’s how I did mine - just bsck from Southampton to San Francisco on QE and had $250 as long cruise. You should get confirmation from them they have done it.

I don’t have the HL app o just login via web browser but guess app also has secure message facility. 

Edited by watsonbeau

On 6/1/2022 at 7:58 PM, jimbo1683 said:

I can't find the answer to this - i have sufficient shares in Carnival to apply for the shareholder OBC. My shares are held by Hargreaves Lansdown and I manage my investments through the app. What do I need to provide to Cunard to get the OBC? I cant find any option to obtain a certificate or letter or something official looking.

Did you resolve this?

From what I can see if you only us the app, is to message Hargreaves Lansdown from within the app, requesting them to inform  Carnival for share perk. Other than that use the web browser and log in to your account and select your fund share account, then select the  pdf version at bottom of page, print of page removing your account number then forward to Carnival yourself with cruise details etc .

There’s a lot of duff information up this thread.  You don’t need to fiddle about with screenshots or sending photos of account information or applying directly yourself to Cunard; you simply message HL from your account with the details of the cruise/crossing you are going on, and they send the necessary confirmation to Cunard directly.  There’s a backlog of a few weeks in their doing this at the moment.

Edited by IB2

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2022 at 1:26 PM, Pear Carr said:

You need to submit your request at least 3 weeks before you sail and no longer than 3 months before. Do not think it makes any difference when you purchased.

Apparently, the "3 months before" limit no longer applies. Or at least it didn't for me this week.

The story: we have a booking on QM2 this December: the westbound TA leaving on the 15th, to which we added the December 10th "Dutch Christmas Markets" (only one of four ports is in the Netherlands, so why "Dutch"?). I understood that one couldn't request shareholder credit until 3 months prior to sailing, which would be mid-September for us.

We have also sold our house, are buying one in a different state, and will be moving at that 3-month window. Considering that address changes would have to be accomplished to make the request at that time (i.e., my brokerage account address would have to match the address Cunard has for us) and the instructions no longer specifically state that one cannot request the benefit more than 3 months prior, I sent the request about noon yesterday just to see what happens. I received a reply around 5 PM that the credit had been added to both bookings. By my calculations, that is 173 days prior to sailing.

By the way, I used the e-mail address cited earlier to make the request. Seemed to be no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've finally got brave enough to buy some shares (I'd actually fogotten about it!) Bought them this morning through the Freetrade app that Host Hattie mentioned. Very easy process and as we already have a Cunard cruise and a P&O one booked, I'm looking forward to spending my OBC.  

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Like 2