Panama Canal on the NCL Bliss or Joy

Salf777

Hi booking a Panama Canal sailing on either NCL Bliss or Joy. It starts in LA and ends in Miami. I’m sure due to the size of the ships it’s the new locks. I see some posts that when you go thru the new locks it’s not a full crossing? Can someone please explain. I also saw one thread that says you disembark when using the new locks? I’m confused can someone please explain all this?

thanks

29 minutes ago, Salf777 said:

Hi booking a Panama Canal sailing on either NCL Bliss or Joy. It starts in LA and ends in Miami. I’m sure due to the size of the ships it’s the new locks. I see some posts that when you go thru the new locks it’s not a full crossing? Can someone please explain. I also saw one thread that says you disembark when using the new locks? I’m confused can someone please explain all this?

thanks

Yes, both ships will use the new locks because of their size.

Otherwise you've read a lot of misinformation somewhere or misunderstood what you read.

Both ships will be doing a full  transit because they're starting in LA and ending in Miami. There's no other way to do that than a full transit (or a cruise around Cape Horn at the southern tip of South America or a world cruise crossing the Pacific and working your way back through Asia, Europe and the Atlantic Ocean).

No, you don't have to disembark when you use the new locks unless your ship is doing a port call at either Fuerte Amador on the Pacific side or Colon on the Atlantic side, in which case you will have the opportunity to disembark to do excursions.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

Just now, njhorseman said:

Yes, both ships will use the new locks because of their size.

Otherwise you've read a lot of misinformation somewhere or misunderstood what you read.

Both ships will be doing a full  transit because they're starting in LA and ending in Miami. There's no other way to do that than a full transit (or a cruise around Cape horn at the southern tip of South America).

No, you don't have to disembark when you use the new locks unless your ship is doing a port call at either Fuerte Amador on the Pacific side or Colon on the Atlantic side, in which case you will have the opportunity to disembark to do excursions.

Thank you so much! I don’t know maybe I misunderstood some posts but I’m certain one said you get off. No matter as long as I understand now

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...