Transatlantic Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale Nov 4 22 should we wait to book

averageblokes

We are doing a three month holiday in North America and have just made the decision to fly from NYC  to Barcelona then hop on a Transatlantic after spending a few days in Barcelona. Looking at Vision of the Seas that leaves Barcelona 4 November 22.  The date fits in well with our travel plans but would welcome thoughts on the cruise.  Also if it would be better to book now or wait closer and get a last minute cruise price.  Booking in Australia is much more expensive than some of the online USA prices.  Becoming more common to charge Australians a higher price (i didn't think we were that bad lol).  In the past we have waited and booked and paid with a travel agent once in the USA and have been able to get USA prices. 

We arrive in the states early October do you think there will be cabins available that late?

Would love to hear your thoughts

cheers

Terry and Neil

Hi Guys....

these TA / repo cruises are great.....I've done a TA  on the old Prinsemdam & from NYC to Barcelona...it was a nice mix of sea day & ports...

As far as pricing they tend to be quite reasonable.... and booking should be easy enough but pricing is a crap shoot...if the ship is large then pricing usually remains low - but this year (due to covid lockdown easing) it seems everyone wants to travel & the cruise lines are more relaxed / more willing to turn heads to get the ships back up and running.

If you see the cruise & it has what you want then book it - you have plenty of time to cancel & then check pricing closer to sailing.

I've put off a 6 month trip to italy due to covid - I just booked a MSC repo from genoa to NYC in November - its 17 days...I'll go to Italy in September & sail home - better thana any flight.

Good luck ,,,,, keep us posted.

I too would book it now as prices lately are skyrocketing.  You can always switch them around, sometimes with a small fee lately.  Just finished 2 TA's and have another booked for next April of 2023 from Miami to Rome.  Good luck.  

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed.  There are some pretty small deposit options out there, where a price can be locked in with fairly low risk. We are doing our 3rd TA within about 1.5 years after a great Barcelona to Miami experience.  

In November Azamara is going from Lisbon to Miami and the prices were exceptionally good.  Flights from Barcelona are really inexpensive, so if the Barcelona departure doesnt work, check it out.

Edited by Pizzasteve

On 6/2/2022 at 12:54 AM, averageblokes said:

We are doing a three month holiday in North America and have just made the decision to fly from NYC  to Barcelona then hop on a Transatlantic after spending a few days in Barcelona. Looking at Vision of the Seas that leaves Barcelona 4 November 22.  The date fits in well with our travel plans but would welcome thoughts on the cruise.  Also if it would be better to book now or wait closer and get a last minute cruise price.  Booking in Australia is much more expensive than some of the online USA prices.  Becoming more common to charge Australians a higher price (i didn't think we were that bad lol).  In the past we have waited and booked and paid with a travel agent once in the USA and have been able to get USA prices. 

We arrive in the states early October do you think there will be cabins available that late?

Would love to hear your thoughts

cheers

Terry and Neil

If you feel that the price is right and comfortable for you now, I say book it, don't wait and don't look back.  Have a fantastic cruise!!

Just as a followup guys....

I just had to literally at the last minute cancel a cruise due to covid concerns...

I booked Queen Mary 2 NYC to Boston, Halifax & Bar Harbor 1 - 8 July 2022.  I had all my documents completed & got the clearance from Cunard that I was ready to sail.  Late afternoon on 30 June I received an email from the Health director / Dr from Cunard UK that there were Covid cases onboard w Quarantines. Masks were mandatory while inside the ship at all times except when eating or drinking.  If I had any concerns I should call Cunard or my Travel agent.

I called the tele # from Cunard - forget about that...the travel agent wasn't aware of the email or the situation onboard QM2.  On 1 July about 11 am the Travel Agent called - I could cancel or reschedule..I opted to get a complete refund.

it seems w covid cases increasing in Europe(Germany, where QM2 had just stopped prior to the start of a TA from Southampton has been reported as having a high rate of  infection and this autumn it is predicted to be a very large surge in infections all over.

I made a personal choice not to go & feel fortunate that I will / hopefully get the refund from Cunard( Carnival stock is in the dumpster now - so hopefully they will have the cash to send me).

My point is - get insurance...

I was looking forward to this cruise as I waited thinking the covid situation would be better by now.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 11:25 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

Just as a followup guys....

I just had to literally at the last minute cancel a cruise due to covid concerns...

I booked Queen Mary 2 NYC to Boston, Halifax & Bar Harbor 1 - 8 July 2022.  I had all my documents completed & got the clearance from Cunard that I was ready to sail.  Late afternoon on 30 June I received an email from the Health director / Dr from Cunard UK that there were Covid cases onboard w Quarantines. Masks were mandatory while inside the ship at all times except when eating or drinking.  If I had any concerns I should call Cunard or my Travel agent.

I called the tele # from Cunard - forget about that...the travel agent wasn't aware of the email or the situation onboard QM2.  On 1 July about 11 am the Travel Agent called - I could cancel or reschedule..I opted to get a complete refund.

it seems w covid cases increasing in Europe(Germany, where QM2 had just stopped prior to the start of a TA from Southampton has been reported as having a high rate of  infection and this autumn it is predicted to be a very large surge in infections all over.

I made a personal choice not to go & feel fortunate that I will / hopefully get the refund from Cunard( Carnival stock is in the dumpster now - so hopefully they will have the cash to send me).

My point is - get insurance...

I was looking forward to this cruise as I waited thinking the covid situation would be better by now.

We never leave home without insurance.  Aus insurance companies now offering covid cruise insurance as an option.  Whilst expensive the only way to go.  Our insurance for the trip is

$ 3879AU

• 2 weeks later...

Vision is a great ship, smaller so no huge crowds, reasonably well maintained and has some relaxing spots. I did the spring TA to Barcelona on Vision and am booked on the November 4 return TA.  There’s a friendly free steam and sauna available that allows for some pleasant conversations. Any questions, just ask.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 7/29/2022 at 11:39 PM, mikeedm said:

Vision is a great ship, smaller so no huge crowds, reasonably well maintained and has some relaxing spots. I did the spring TA to Barcelona on Vision and am booked on the November 4 return TA.  There’s a friendly free steam and sauna available that allows for some pleasant conversations. Any questions, just ask.

we have booked the TA 4 nov.   We leave in just over two weeks for the USA an Mexico before flying to Europe 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 11:39 PM, mikeedm said:

Are you staying in FORT Lauderdale after the cruise if so any recommendations on accommodation. 

Depending on your tastes..... in Ft Lauderdale you have a few options - also your budget.

1. The gay area of Ft Lauderdale is called Wilton Manors - its the gay ghetto where all the bars & a  few guest houses (clothing optional & otherwise) are located.

2. Ft Lauderdale Beach area is on the ocean with a multitude of hotel options - everything from the Ritz Carlton to smaller hotels & a couple of Gay Guest Houses.  Staying a block or 2 off the beach is no big deal(I believe THE GRAND & Worthington Guest Houses are the 2 gay  still open) There is an area called North Beach Village that has a nice restaurant called The Wine Garden(open air w good food from pizza on up) & a bakery called Archibalds - great for pastry & breakfast / lunch).  The gay beach area on Ft Lauderdale Beach is at SEBASTIAN STREET...delicious!!!  

This area is 10 minutes away from the port.

I rented a condo  on the beach for a year  & liked it very much & would either drive or UBER over to wilton manors to meet friends for drinks / dinner or .....

Hope this helps

• 1 month later...
On 9/23/2022 at 7:39 PM, mikeedm said:

Not staying there so can’t help you guys with any options.  Would be fun to meet up on Vision…

Sorry for delay in answering. Would be great to catch up on board.  We are in week 5 of our holiday leave NYC tonight for Barcelona to give us a couple of days there before salingback to USA.  Will catch-up on board