The friends we have made…

DW and I have been crossing and cruising for over 50 years.  Part of the allure of ships is that they seem to be a singularly unique way to meet new friends.  We have made many friendships with singles and couples.  Some of these friendships have gone on for decades.  Tell us about some of the friendships you have made…especially the ones that have endured for many years.

9 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

DW and I have been crossing and cruising for over 50 years.  Part of the allure of ships is that they seem to be a singularly unique way to meet new friends.  We have made many friendships with singles and couples.  Some of these friendships have gone on for decades.  Tell us about some of the friendships you have made…especially the ones that have endured for many years.

Great topic, thanks for starting this one.

With almost 45 yrs of cruising, with 7 of them were working as a Navigator, I have met hundreds, even thousands of people aboard the ships.

Most notable was a young lady I met in the Stadium Bar aboard SS Oriana, when we steamed across the Pacific from Vancouver, BC to Sydney. We were married 3-years later and will be celebrating 42-years next month. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Great topic, thanks for starting this one.

With almost 45 yrs of cruising, with 7 of them were working as a Navigator, I have met hundreds, even thousands of people aboard the ships.

Most notable was a young lady I met in the Stadium Bar aboard SS Oriana, when we steamed across the Pacific from Vancouver, BC to Sydney. We were married 3-years later and will be celebrating 42-years next month. 

Great story Heidi…thanks so much!

• Like 1

I saw this thread yesterday and have been thinking about your question for 24 hours.  I thought this afternoon that I was ready to reply, but, as I typed a post, more thoughts occurred.  I erased what I typed and want to do more thinking/remembering.  It's a great question!   

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I saw this thread yesterday and have been thinking about your question for 24 hours.  I thought this afternoon that I was ready to reply, but, as I typed a post, more thoughts occurred.  I erased what I typed and want to do more thinking/remembering.  It's a great question!   

Keep thinking RK.  As the years go by we do remember so many people who we have met and enjoyed and how many of them have passed on.  I am still in touch with a good number of these people.  One friendship, in particular, goes back to 1975 and the QE2.  A lot of good memories for sure.  

• Thanks 1

I want to divide my answer to the question into two parts:  pre-retirement and post-retirement.

Pre-retirement, there usually was much exchanging of addresses and phone numbers among some of the guests whom I met.  Particularly, tablemates if it was an above average table.  Most of the time, maybe with an exchange of Christmas greetings for a year or two after a cruise, that was the end of the relationship.  (I'd call it more of an acquaintance than a friendship.)  Three times, however, a friendship did develop.  1984, a couple from San Jose who were tablemates with my Mother and me on the Nordic Prince became friends during the cruise.  I do not recall the reason why we seemed to "bond", but it happened.  The four of us were on a couple shore excursions together plus having dinner each evening for 7 nights.  Afterwards, there were several letters exchanged between my Mother and the other couple along with holiday greetings.  The woman's husband passed away and the contacts continued.  When my Mother was no longer able to continue the communication, I picked it up and it continued until the woman passed away a very few years ago.

Royal Viking Sky, 1980, a trans-Atlantic crossing as part of a North Cape Cruise.  My traveling companion and I was seated with an older couple:  the woman was a retired UNC professor and very much the Southern lady with her German husband.  Quite a contrast between them and us.  They were well traveled; we were neophytes in comparison.  But, our love for travel and our educational backgrounds provided for a friendship that continued after the cruise for many years with, at least, yearly contact until both of them passed.  I have pleasant memories of them.  

Veendam, 1998, a 4th of July cruise, I was seated at a table for six, two of which were two sisters close to my age.  From the first night, we were comfortable with each other and the others at the table offered some support for them because most of their luggage was not delivered to their cabin.  For 4 nights, they apologetically came to dinner dressed as they had been on embarkation night.  On the 5th night, they arrived newly attired.  Their luggage had been found.  It had been delivered to another stateroom.  It took that long for the occupants of that cabin to figure out that the luggage was not theirs.  (Glad I never met those bozos.)  After the cruise, I kept in touch with both of them during the holidays.  After a few years, one of the sisters stopped responding, but, with the other woman, we remain in yearly contact.  

Post-retirement:  These have been the years when many more people with whom I have cruised became much more than just an acquaintance.  It began in 2002 with the Volendam's Asian Pacific Cruise.  There were several with whom I kept in touch with  after that cruise, but there are 11 of those with whom I remain in frequent touch, 9 of whom I have sailed with at least once more, and 4 of whom I have visited them at their home more than once.  

Each long cruise afterwards, I have added to my cruise friendships.  While some of these were fleeting friendships after the cruise, looking at my Address Book, I have become aware that there are close to 30, at least, with whom I keep in touch.  Some of these people, I have sailed with again.  

There have been some with whom I kept in contact who have passed, some who after many years have trimmed their contact list I think, a small number who have disappeared.  (They intrigue me because their e-mail addresses appear to be active, but, no response after repeated attempts.)  

These are people whom I truly value because of their impact on my cruises and on me.  These are people who have made my cruises special.  I appreciate them so very much!

• Like 1

Wonderful memories RK.  We also have a long list of friends made who have come and gone.  The central theme that all these friendships have in common…is the ship.  It seems to me that being onboard ship is the easiest, if not the only way, to make friendships when traveling.  This makes the cruise ship distinctly different from all other modes of travel.  Chock up another win for the cruise ship.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The central theme that all these friendships have in common…is the ship.  It seems to me that being onboard ship is the easiest, if not the only way, to make friendships when traveling.

Certainly agree that the ship is the common denominator for the start of those friendships.  As the friendships become less superficial, other interests and shared concerns begin to appear and may help to deepen those ties.  

Discussing religion and politics is a "no no" on a ship as you know.  But, I have found that those guests who are not Americans sometimes have as much interest in our politics and issues as I have in theirs.  This is particularly true with some Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders.  

Food, wine, places were we have both been, and cruises on the same ships or cruise lines have been topics that helped me to create some of the friendships that I have.  

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Certainly agree that the ship is the common denominator for the start of those friendships.  As the friendships become less superficial, other interests and shared concerns begin to appear and may help to deepen those ties.  

Discussing religion and politics is a "no no" on a ship as you know.  But, I have found that those guests who are not Americans sometimes have as much interest in our politics and issues as I have in theirs.  This is particularly true with some Canadians, Australians, and New Zealanders.  

Food, wine, places were we have both been, and cruises on the same ships or cruise lines have been topics that helped me to create some of the friendships that I have.  

We had a great Mediterranean cruise a few months before the trump - Clinton election, we were kidding several of the Canadians that they may have a rush of people wanting to move to Canada depending on outcome of that election. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I/we have also been cruising for over 50 yrs now and on just about every line that is or was in existance.  We've met many folks who we now consider to be close freiends.  We've been and they've been to weddings, graduations, anniversaries, etc etc.  We've visited and had them visit us and folks are from all over the country.  This coming Jan will be the 32nd "Friends and Family Annual Winter Carribean Cruise".  Not everyone comes every year and the group is usually between 18-30 people.  Some who came that 1st year will be joining  but  unfortunately, some are no longer with us.

Edited by marco
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, marco said:

This coming Jan will be the 32nd "Friends and Family Annual Winter Carribean Cruise".  Not everyone comes every year and the group is usually between 18-30 people.  Some who came that 1st year will be joining  but  unfortunately, some are no longer with us

That is remarkable!  Who decides which cruise?  I assume that person would be the organizer.  

U

On 6/14/2022 at 3:47 PM, rkacruiser said:

That is remarkable!  Who decides which cruise?  I assume that person would be the organizer.  

Usually my b-i-l and I will choose 2 or 3 options and send out to "the group" to see if there's any that just will not work with someone's schedule, preferences of date/itinerary/line-ship.  wait for feedback and then choose. After we do, we let everyone know what the choice is and invite folks to invite other freinds and family to join. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, marco said:

U

Usually my b-i-l and I will choose 2 or 3 options and send out to "the group" to see if there's any that just will not work with someone's schedule, preferences of date/itinerary/line-ship.  wait for feedback and then choose. After we do, we let everyone know what the choice is and invite folks to invite other freinds and family to join. 

I appreciate you replying to my question.  Thank you.  

Does each party that decides to join the group make their own bookings or is a group booking done with one travel agent?  

23 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate you replying to my question.  Thank you.  

Does each party that decides to join the group make their own bookings or is a group booking done with one travel agent?  

We have been using one agent for a number of years, now.  I include the contact info. It facilitates dining as we end up with a few tables near each other and we "round robin" every evening. We also get a better rate doing the group booking and more/ better perks. Our agent takes VERY good care of us! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, marco said:

We have been using one agent for a number of years, now.  I include the contact info. It facilitates dining as we end up with a few tables near each other and we "round robin" every evening. We also get a better rate doing the group booking and more/ better perks. Our agent takes VERY good care of us! 

Again, thank you for replying.  I like your plan!  Sounds like the people in your group are well disciplined and agreeable.  Sometimes, as I have tried to organize a small group for something (like Roll Calls), it's like trying to herd cats.  

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2022 at 2:11 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Our first cruise was in 1973.We have made at least one friend on every cruise we have been on.On one cruise we became friendly with a couple who were considerably younger than us .Much to our surprise we had many non stop conversations .We have kept in touch over the years by phone ,e-mail,text and snail mail.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2022 at 8:34 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Our first cruise was in 1973.We have made at least one friend on every cruise we have been on.On one cruise we became friendly with a couple who were considerably younger than us .Much to our surprise we had many non stop conversations .We have kept in touch over the years by phone ,e-mail,text and snail mail.

Since 1973 hmmmmm very good.  Some of our best cruise memories are of the friends we’ve made.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, marco said:

I'm still in contact and friends I met on a cruise in 1969.  Homes LInes "Oceanic".

Another longevity record 53 years and still going strong!  I still have friends that crossed with me on the Queen Elizabeth in 1965.  I was in a band and some of the members were in my class at high school.  We still see each other at reunions.  

• Like 2

And speaking of....my 50th High School reunion is this coming weekend.  There are 3 of us "kids" who have been and still are friends who we see regularly. And one of them has come on several cruises with us through the years.

Edited by marco
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, marco said:

And speaking of....my 50th High School reunion is this coming weekend.  There are 3 of us "kids" who have been and still are friends who we see regularly. And one of them has come on several cruises with us through the years.

Congratulations on your 50th Marco…I’m five years ahead of you.😧

• Like 1