Cruising from the US and covid testing minefield

Velvetwater

Hi

After a lot of debating we have decided to cruise from the US this year. Looking likely to be from Miami or NY with either Carnival, NCL or Royal in August.

We've priced up the 5 cruises and flights wed like the only thing is all this covid testing.

Not sure whether to covid test in UK then fly the day before departure so our covid approved test in the UK will be good for both our US entry and cruise boarding. Although a bit worried about current UK flight delays.

Considering doing a UK test to.enter USA then a USA test to board so we can enjoy a few days pre cruise but thinking be more expensive and it's hard to find us test centres in port.

We are just finding it a nightmare at the moment with knowing if test centres in the UK and US are booked up in August and which ones are accepted.

We are both fully vaccinated btw.

Any advice? We didn't book earlier due to dog sitting  needs.

I would pack a proctored antigen test in your baggage then you have no worries, I like to spend a few days in Miami first.

https://www.qured.com/shop/products

An antigen test is £12 and you can add a video observation for £11 to satisfy cruise lines like NCL who need a proctored test.
Use HEATHROW10 to take 10% off making a proctored test £19.70 with free shipping.

Apparently BATRAVEL20 will give 20% off but I have not tried that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

I would pack a proctored antigen test in your baggage then you have no worries, I like to spend a few days in Miami first.

https://www.qured.com/shop/products

An antigen test is £12 and you can add a video observation for £11 to satisfy cruise lines like NCL who need a proctored test.
Use HEATHROW10 to take 10% off making a proctored test £19.70 with free shipping.

Apparently BATRAVEL20 will give 20% off but I have not tried that.

Would l;ove to know if anyone has used these for Royal Caribbean, we're due to cruise from Miami after a 3 day stay and are having the same stress over arranging a pre cruise test

2 hours ago, Mike.S said:

Would l;ove to know if anyone has used these for Royal Caribbean, we're due to cruise from Miami after a 3 day stay and are having the same stress over arranging a pre cruise test

I can't imagine there would be a problem as they are video observed which is what I need for NCL, it would indeed be good if anyone has first hand experience.

There is a test centre on the Miami dock  -I read about it as we were thinking of a cruise in November

but have done nothing about it.

Main problem is that for most US people it will be "free "  but  paid for from insurance.

The website is here

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/initiatives/coronavirus/covid19-location.page?Mduid_covid19-location=cov1634051968887569

They have an email and contact form for enquiries if  anyone want to try it.

As with sailing from the UK not sure I would want to get to the dock before testing 

There may also be a facility at the airport  - need to check if it is airside   quoting US$79

which seems a bit steep compared to some Uk outlets but  not far off the charge on the

dock at Southampton.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjq0sHG3I_4AhXUa8AKHbzXB7AQFnoECAQQAw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnews.miami-airport.com%2Fcovid-19-testing-available-daily-at-mia-starting-may-21%2F%23%3A~%3Atext%3DThe%20facility%20is%20open%20daily%2Ccan%20be%20emailed%20upon%20request.&usg=AOvVaw0hBAkamBwradK61-lkC5Cc 

Hope that link works I will try it after posting.

This week, we needed to do an observed test prior to boardign our Oceania cruise at Southhampton. Bought lateral flows from Boots and used them during an observed appointment with the people

https://dochq.co.uk/

Good, quick process with the certificate of the test results sent within minutes (unfortunately, it was positive, so I'm sending this from North Cheshire, not the ship). It'd certainly be an idea to use something like this service both for entry to the US and for boarding.

Im from the uk and I cruised from Miami in April and I used Nomihealth , I booked online ( click the yellow bar )and   selected Miami dade, there are a lot of locations , I went to Adventura mall. The testing site is actually in an area off from the bus station .I took an Uber there. There were a few people there but probably took about 10 minutes for checking your info and the test.. When you complete the form online you enter the details of the cruise you are going on .I selected a day and could go at anytime. My results were emailed after about 90 minutes. I did some shopping at the mall whilst I waited in case there were any problems. There was no cost .

Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi

A lot of good information , but still a bit confused sailing from San Juan Puerto Rico on Sat 3/12 flying out from Glasgow on 01/12.

Contacted Celebrity Customer Services saying we could test 3 days before the cruise which means we could test the day before flying we are fully vaccinated and have the boosters.

But looking at USA web site it appears we would need to test 2 days before the cruise. The start  day would be  on our flying day that leaves us a big problem . we need to test at Heathrow with 1 hr 30 min , transfer at same terminal  or then  on to Miami with 4 hrs transfer wait ,  try and get test there or purchase a kit in UK and take it with us .

I would like to test in UK but don't think Cruise Lines information was correct.

We are not great tech users re Zoom calls etc .

Moved this to this arena as seems the most appropriate