120 night World Voyage with just one overnight stop?

Being a previous CMV passenger (on one very pleasant “Astoria“ cruise) we are inundated with brochures and flyers from Ambassador cruise line. (I am sure you will know that, despite leaving numerous companies with £millions of unpaid debts, the previous CMV owners, who now run Ambassador, managed to afford to buy the mailing list from the liquidators – and indeed now rent the same old CMV premises in Essex).

One of the brochures is for the 120 night Grand World Voyage in January 2024.

When studying the itinerary I see there is just a single overnight stay - in Mombasa.

From my knowledge of world cruises (which is restricted to brochures, never having been on one) I have never seen one that does not include overnights in such iconic ports as Sydney, Cape Town and Singapore.

I would think that most world cruise passengers would welcome an overnight stay, at even just a few of those special ports they visit.

I also see there are six ports with either very late arrivals or early afternoon departures, again cutting down on the available port time.

Just seems a bit strange to me and would be interested in any other opinions.

Kind regards

Peter

Edited by PrincessPete
Grammar

• PrincessPete changed the title to 120 night World Voyage with just one overnight stop?
On 6/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, PrincessPete said:

Being a previous CMV passenger (on one very pleasant “Astoria“ cruise) we are inundated with brochures and flyers from Ambassador cruise line. (I am sure you will know that, despite leaving numerous companies with £millions of unpaid debts, the previous CMV owners, who now run Ambassador, managed to afford to buy the mailing list from the liquidators – and indeed now rent the same old CMV premises in Essex).

One of the brochures is for the 120 night Grand World Voyage in January 2024.

When studying the itinerary I see there is just a single overnight stay - in Mombasa.

From my knowledge of world cruises (which is restricted to brochures, never having been on one) I have never seen one that does not include overnights in such iconic ports as Sydney, Cape Town and Singapore.

I would think that most world cruise passengers would welcome an overnight stay, at even just a few of those special ports they visit.

I also see there are six ports with either very late arrivals or early afternoon departures, again cutting down on the available port time.

Just seems a bit strange to me and would be interested in any other opinions.

Kind regards

Peter

Yes, it does seem a rather wasted opportunity - especially when the itinerary is 120 nights...

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2022 at 4:36 PM, Britboys said:

Yes, it does seem a rather wasted opportunity - especially when the itinerary is 120 nights...

This is the one thing that would put me off a worldie with Ambassador, maybe they will add more 2/3 day stops to future world cruises once they are more established.

• Like 1

The thing that will put me off booking with Ambassador again is that they don't seem to offer experiences which are "everything that there is to see in this location".

They just seem to offer a 3 hour trip to see A and B, and there's another 3 hour trip to see X and Y (overlapping so you can't do both)

what about the 6 hour option seeing A, B, X and Y?

It's almost like they just treat the "experiences" as "something to do", rather than a chance to visit somewhere exhaustively.

I don't want to go to somewhere on a cruise and just use it as sample, and then have to go back again to finish off that location.  If I'm going to have to go back again, I don't need to go there on a cruise in the first place, do I?

Obviously my holiday desires are not the target for this types of cruise, which is a shame.

• Like 2

On 7/13/2022 at 4:10 PM, tim_london0 said:

The thing that will put me off booking with Ambassador again is that they don't seem to offer experiences which are "everything that there is to see in this location".

They just seem to offer a 3 hour trip to see A and B, and there's another 3 hour trip to see X and Y (overlapping so you can't do both)

what about the 6 hour option seeing A, B, X and Y?

It's almost like they just treat the "experiences" as "something to do", rather than a chance to visit somewhere exhaustively.

I don't want to go to somewhere on a cruise and just use it as sample, and then have to go back again to finish off that location.  If I'm going to have to go back again, I don't need to go there on a cruise in the first place, do I?

Obviously my holiday desires are not the target for this types of cruise, which is a shame.

If a particular itinerary appeals, you can always book an excursion independent of the ship.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Britboys said:

If a particular itinerary appeals, you can always book an excursion independent of the ship.

For many destination it's impossible to find out about available group excursions in advance (I have tried, and failed, many times for land based trips), even where they do exist.

And using a website to book an independent guide for a bespoke excursion is unaffordable for a party of size 1.

• Like 2