The ship's snorkeling excursion in Bora Bora

mustangmonie

Can anyone who's been on the Maohi Nui snorkeling excursion tell me whether they go to an area where manta rays are or would I need to go with a different vendor for that?  Would you recommend the ship's excursion with or without the lunch?

15 minutes ago, mustangmonie said:

Can anyone who's been on the Maohi Nui snorkeling excursion tell me whether they go to an area where manta rays are or would I need to go with a different vendor for that?  Would you recommend the ship's excursion with or without the lunch?

Yes .... I always see Patrick's boats when I'm at the manta rays ... many of the lagoon vendors do as well.

• Like 1

TBK - how current is this info? I believe Anua Nanta is now a protected site; even the last time we dove there with the ship the excursion was limited and there were no other boats in the area. Also, I do not see any reference to the Mantas on the excursion descriptions. 

1 hour ago, sita said:

TBK - how current is this info? I believe Anua Nanta is now a protected site; even the last time we dove there with the ship the excursion was limited and there were no other boats in the area. Also, I do not see any reference to the Mantas on the excursion descriptions. 

I was there in March and most of the vendors including some of Patrick's boats were there but no way to know if it was an outrigger filled with people from the ship or some other tour. There are several places for the mantas ... I've been to 3 of them and seen mantas every single time ... but I take a different vendor. So  .... if one area is closed the vendors can simply go to another. Keep in mind Patrick's (lunch) our is a bit shorter than years ago so it is possible they've bypassed the mantas to save time ... who knows for sure unless someone chimes in that has been on the ship's (Patrick's) tour lately. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

The ship's excursion with Pure Snorkeling with Reef Discovery (PFBOB61) is 3.5 hours long and still states they take you to see both Mantas as well as Eagle Rays. I've been on 2 excursions with Pure Snorkeling before they were an official Paul Gauguin vendor, and they put us over Manta's and Eagle Rays both times. While their boats are not a Polynesian outrigger, with all they trimmings, they are fast modern 18-20 foot boats, and their their guides are knowledgeable and top notch. Their website still shows that they visit the mantas on most of their privately booked excursions. I would book Pure Snorkeling over Patricks tour in a heartbeat, and intend to when we sail in September.

• Like 2