Greenland Cruises

19 hours ago, mets123 said:

I just booked the 14 day Jewel cruise to Greenland next September. Has anyone suggestions on what to see? Also, are we north enough to see the Northern lights?

What ports are you going to in Greenland? 

If you scroll through the Northern Europe/Baltic Sea forum, you will find some threads on Greenland - may need to go through a few pages as they get replaced with more common ports quite quickly. 

Although Greenland is geographically on the North American continental plate, it is Danish and I think most cruises to Greenland sail from Europe or Iceland, though I know Trans Atlantics often call into a Greenland port or two on the way if in Northern waters. 

Edited by tring

On 6/3/2022 at 9:18 PM, mets123 said:

Thanks, we're actually sailing a 14 round trip from Cape Library, NJ.

Did you find information on your Greenland ports from the other forum?  

Edited by tring

On 6/2/2022 at 3:51 PM, mets123 said:

I just booked the 14 day Jewel cruise to Greenland next September. Has anyone suggestions on what to see? Also, are we north enough to see the Northern lights?

One of the missing items is what dates are you going. While the Northern Lights are a year round event, the best viewing is from September to March for Iceland/Greenland.  I used to have a link to a forecasting website, but it appears to be defunct. 

16 hours ago, drowelf said:

One of the missing items is what dates are you going. While the Northern Lights are a year round event, the best viewing is from September to March for Iceland/Greenland.  I used to have a link to a forecasting website, but it appears to be defunct. 

Northern Lights can be there year round, but you can't see them in the summer at or near the Arctic Circle due to 24 hour sun.  Iceland season starts in late August and ends in late March, like you said

Not yet listing your ports of call  severely limits the number of replies you can expect.

No need to scroll back multiple pages looking for threads with your ports,, instead simply use the SEARCH facility. It is SO easy and fast too.

After logging in and going to the N Europe and Balic forum (this one, but not to your own post) immediately under your user name you will see the empty SEARCH box.  Simply enter the name of ONE  of your ports and tick  ON THIS FORUM from the drop down which will appear All you need do then is hit the little magnifying glass and all previous threads containing that neme will appear ready for you to read.  Repeat the same procedure for your other ports..

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

I'm going to Greenland this August on a 16-day Princess cruise. I hope to be able to post a live thread on the Princess board during my cruise. I did not book my cruise until last week. All of the excursions through Princess are sold out. I plan to study up a bit on the ports and walk a lot to see some of the highlights in each. The three Greenland ports on my cruise are Nuuk, Nanortalik, and Qaqortoq.

By August 24 and 25, when my ship will be in the last two Greenland ports, the sun will set around 8:30 p.m. and rise around 5:30. But civil twilight, nautical twilight, and astronomical twilight continue for several hours. There's just a brief period between 12:15 a.m. and 2 a.m. of true night--where the sun is at least 18 degrees below the horizon. I plan to look at the aurora forecast on this website before and during my cruise:

https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

One of the participants on the roll call for my cruise posted the port guides from her cruise three years ago. It's on this page:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2765243-caribbean-princess-august-15-2022-nyc-canada-greenland/page/36/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We've booked a 10 NCL cruise for July 2023.  Get on ship in Ryekjavik, cruise to Djupivogur, Akureyri and Isafjordur.  Then head to Greenland:  Nonortalik, Paamiut, Nuuk and then back to Reykjavik.

Look forward to reading any and all threads that covers these ports.

Edited by cwms

10 hours ago, cwms said:

We've booked a 10 NCL cruise for July 2023.  Get on ship in Ryekjavik, cruise to Djupivogur, Akureyri and Isafjordur.  Then head to Greenland:  Nonortalik, Paamiut, Nuuk and then back to Reykjavik.

NCL Star will sail (for the first time) two similar cruises on 14th and 25th of July this year. There may be some reviews afterwards, if you wish to have the NCL-specific review.

15 hours ago, Ingabinga said:

CWMS - We might be on the same cruise. We depart on 07/13/2023. We are looking forward to it since we have already driven the Ring Road in Iceland.

A fellow Virginian

Yep, that’s the one we will be on.  Long ways off, but what are your thoughts on air travel.  Looks to me our best option is flying from BWI.  The cost savings makes it worth the drive up from Richmond.

The furthest north we have ever been is Halifax, so we are really looking forward to it.

We have not booked flights yet, but we are in Alexandria, so IAD or BWI are options. I will wait until next year to book flights. I have always booked flights independently, but now I read that sometimes it is saver to book with the cruise line due to unforeseen problems.

I love to monitor Cruise Critic for future cruises. Hopefully, cruisers from this summer cruises will report back.

I’m sure it will be at least 6 months before we book out flight, but will keep an eye on flights just in case there happens to be a big reduction one day.  It does happen.

On 6/12/2022 at 1:00 PM, geoherb said:

I'm going to Greenland this August on a 16-day Princess cruise. I hope to be able to post a live thread on the Princess board during my cruise. I did not book my cruise until last week. All of the excursions through Princess are sold out. I plan to study up a bit on the ports and walk a lot to see some of the highlights in each. The three Greenland ports on my cruise are Nuuk, Nanortalik, and Qaqortoq.

By August 24 and 25, when my ship will be in the last two Greenland ports, the sun will set around 8:30 p.m. and rise around 5:30. But civil twilight, nautical twilight, and astronomical twilight continue for several hours. There's just a brief period between 12:15 a.m. and 2 a.m. of true night--where the sun is at least 18 degrees below the horizon. I plan to look at the aurora forecast on this website before and during my cruise:

https://www.gi.alaska.edu/monitors/aurora-forecast

One of the participants on the roll call for my cruise posted the port guides from her cruise three years ago. It's on this page:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2765243-caribbean-princess-august-15-2022-nyc-canada-greenland/page/36/

Yes & we did see a faint Aurora on August 29. I specifically remember because it is my birthday & was a great gift!

Hoping we will see it again especially if we can get the Bridge to dim the lights which they did for us one night.

• Like 1

We did a cruise in northeast Greenland a few years back in late August. We spent around 5 days in the fjords north of Iteqqortoormiit, and we’re lucky enough to see the aurora three nights in a row. The first night was pretty dull, but for those who had never seen it before, it was a special experience. The second night was one of the best displays many had ever seen, and the third was good but not as great as the second.

The other nights were cloudy, so no northern lights (at least not from the sea/ground).

Edited by kaisatsu
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 1:38 AM, cwms said:

I am booked the same cruise.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:52 AM, Cruise Wonderland said:

NCL Star will sail (for the first time) two similar cruises on 14th and 25th of July this year. There may be some reviews afterwards, if you wish to have the NCL-specific review.

I see NCL cancelled the Greenland part of the cruise the night before the 14th July cruise due to weather concerns. Lots of speculation on the roll call. Let's hope the 25th July cruise goes ahead.

On 6/24/2022 at 1:38 PM, Ingabinga said:

We have not booked flights yet, but we are in Alexandria, so IAD or BWI are options. I will wait until next year to book flights. I have always booked flights independently, but now I read that sometimes it is saver to book with the cruise line due to unforeseen problems.

I love to monitor Cruise Critic for future cruises. Hopefully, cruisers from this summer cruises will report back.

If you can swing the extra drive, you might also check Newark - I’ve seen some very good prices to Iceland. Also Play out of BWI has been doing well. I’d prefer Icelandair out of IAD over BWI, which is closer easier to get to but bad experiences there.

6 trips to Iceland, 2 specifically for the Auroras with no luck. However one Labor Day we were flying back from a Ring Road road trip as a friend was flying to Iceland - she saw good Auroras 3 nights the week she was there. So you’re in the window of possibility ….and it won’t be freezing !

Edited by ColdCruise