5 year and 5 week vaccination rule? Looking for it in writing

West Coast Gal

Hi all!

We have booked a sailing on the Wish in August.  Our grandson will have turned 5 years old 4 weeks before we go .. . .  due to some issues his parents want to wait on his vaccination.  When the TA called Disney (and waited forever) they told her that if he needed to be vaccinated by 5 years and 5 weeks.  We are trying to find out if there is anything in writing about that or if anyone knows where to ask to get it in writing.  Thanks for any help!

I just checked the DCL policy, and all I can see is that 5 years and older must be vaccinated. Seeing that the vaccine requires 2 shots, weeks apart, you're going to be cutting it very close to begin with. Unfortunately, this ends up being a very grey area (where kids just become eligible before the cruise). My suggestion is that he gets his vaccine on his birthday, followed by a trip for ice cream.

On 6/3/2022 at 1:51 PM, West Coast Gal said:

Hi all!

We have booked a sailing on the Wish in August.  Our grandson will have turned 5 years old 4 weeks before we go .. . .  due to some issues his parents want to wait on his vaccination.  When the TA called Disney (and waited forever) they told her that if he needed to be vaccinated by 5 years and 5 weeks.  We are trying to find out if there is anything in writing about that or if anyone knows where to ask to get it in writing.  Thanks for any help!

From the DCL website:  Currently, Disney Cruise Line continues to require all vaccine-eligible Guests (based on US eligibility requirements) to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, as defined by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at the time of sailing. This is a requirement for all Guests (US and international) ages 5 and older. Guests who are not vaccine-eligible because of age must provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result (paid for by the Guest) taken between 3 days and 24 hours before their sail date. Guests ages 4 and under must complete the testing requirements. The test should be a NAAT test, rapid PCR test or lab-based PCR test. Rapid antigen tests are not accepted.

That said, I've read that DCL is allowing just turned 5 year olds some leeway on boarding, since "fully vaccinated" means two weeks after the second shot, but I'm not sure it's actually written anywhere.  

I believe a 5 year old, who's been vaccinated, but is not considered fully vaccinated is treated like an unvaccinated 4 year old onboard

• 2 weeks later...

We are traveling on the Dream 6/25. Our grandson who turned 5 on May 17 will be with us. We were told by our TA who spoke to DCL that if he was not fully vaccinated 2 weeks prior to our sail date (June 10) that he could not cruise. We were a little anxious because of the short window (4 days leeway) but thankfully he got his second done on June 8. If his birthday fell after May 20 there would not be a 2 week timeframe prior to sail date for him to be fully vaccinated so he would not be required to be vaccinated