What Are Your Favorite Side Dishes you enjoy While Sailing on a Cruise........

BklynBoy8

I have started over the months topics about many subjects in Cruise Foodies.

We also have mentioned the different parts of the menu especially those Entrees we looking forward to. But each menu also contains each day many side dishes that made and complete the dishes. Many are taken for granted as part of the plate but adds to the flavor.

I was wondering which which dishes we take for granted regularly we enjoy or those that have been specially prepared and impressed us to remember.

My DW and I on regular basis at home enjoy and look forward if prepared on board the ship dishes made with Leeks. Also Sauteed Mushroom used as sides but also part of the dishes. Potatoes like Lyonnaise, Scalloped, Au Gratin or typical Baked w Chive Butter. DW loved Beets.

I just wanted to start this Topic and will add more thru out our conversations.

Whats Your!....

Lyonnaise Potatoes are the first that came to my mind when I read this thread.  And, maybe the rarest to have been served during any cruise.  Other forms of the potato family:  Au Gratin, Scalloped, and Baked with the accompaniments applied in the following order--Butter, Sour Cream and Chives--I like.  (Hold the grated cheese and bacon bits, please.) 

Onion Rings are a favorite accompaniment to a steak.  Other steakhouse favorites of mine would be Creamed Spinach  (usually available in specialty restaurants) and Stewed Tomatoes (don't think I have ever had that on a ship).  Sauteed Mushrooms?  Please, add them to my order. 

Pencil thin spears of Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce on the side:  yes!

A well prepared (table side preferred) Caesar Salad would be my preference over any other type of salad, i.e, The Wedge.  (Why do so many like a hunk of iceberg lettuce with some kind of dressing and a type of Blue Cheese?)  

I may return to the thread with some other thoughts.  

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Lyonnaise Potatoes are the first that came to my mind when I read this thread.  And, maybe the rarest to have been served during any cruise.  Other forms of the potato family:  Au Gratin, Scalloped, and Baked with the accompaniments applied in the following order--Butter, Sour Cream and Chives--I like.  (Hold the grated cheese and bacon bits, please.) 

Onion Rings are a favorite accompaniment to a steak.  Other steakhouse favorites of mine would be Creamed Spinach  (usually available in specialty restaurants) and Stewed Tomatoes (don't think I have ever had that on a ship).  Sauteed Mushrooms?  Please, add them to my order. 

Pencil thin spears of Asparagus with Hollandaise Sauce on the side:  yes!

A well prepared (table side preferred) Caesar Salad would be my preference over any other type of salad, i.e, The Wedge.  (Why do so many like a hunk of iceberg lettuce with some kind of dressing and a type of Blue Cheese?)  

I may return to the thread with some other thoughts.  

Rka,

Lyonnaise are very easy to make. AG, SP, and Baked aren't that bad also to produce with the right cheese and diary.

When ever I make Bacon & Eggs, the later bacon are crumbled and used for Potato Skins or Wedge Salad with Mayfair Blue Cheese. We like to extra crispy the Iceberg with a short time in the freezer, not too long.

We like Asparagus w Bread Crumb/EVO/Garlic topping sprinkled on. Or Just EVO infused with Garlic & Lemon Juice.

I've learned from the best to make Caesar. We get a small order of cheese fresh to use and made Great Croutons.

Cream of Popeye is always great. Watch MOM when made. And I go crazy at the Mushroom Stand at the Greenmarket for Steak Night and also Cold Mushroom Salad and Cream of Musroom.

Duchess Potatoes were famous in a great old restaurant in NYC called The Brass Rail.

Love making Home Fries but excited for those morning breakfasts of Potatoes O'Brien. 

Greek Lemon Potatoes are great and tasty. Sorry but have to add TOTS well made...

Will think of more too......

19 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Love making Home Fries but excited for those morning breakfasts of Potatoes O'Brien. 

Enjoy both as well as crispy Hash Browns (not the hockey pucks that are served as a side for Breakfasts on most cruise ships; OK for McDonald's; not OK for a cruise ship breakfast.).  

Duchess Potatoes

I forgot about this version of the potato.  Don't see that very often.

Cream of Popeye

New to me.  Please describe.  

43 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Enjoy both as well as crispy Hash Browns (not the hockey pucks that are served as a side for Breakfasts on most cruise ships; OK for McDonald's; not OK for a cruise ship breakfast.).  

I forgot about this version of the potato.  Don't see that very often.

New to me.  Please describe.  

Rka,

I don't remember but is embarrassed to mention that on HAL I was served a MCD triangle hash brown as their version. Not sure if I did on a Cunard Ship as a fast fix.

You never of Cream of Popeye - Cream of Spinach ......lol.........

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I don't remember but is embarrassed to mention that on HAL I was served a MCD triangle hash brown as their version. Not sure if I did on a Cunard Ship as a fast fix.

I have eaten many of those triangles in recent years.  Did not used to be.  No memory of what I was served on QE2 or QM2.  Being a Table of the Worlds and Britannia Restaurant guest, it may the same kind of product.  But, on QE2, in 1980, this probably was before the hockey pucks were "invented".  

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

You never of Cream of Popeye - Cream of Spinach ......lol........

Why didn't I think of that!  😀  I like cream soups, but, don't think I have had Cream of Spinach.  Creamed Spinach?  Yes.  But, never in soup form.  

• Thanks 1

A side that I like but find that it is not always served is a Popover when Prime Rib is served.

I think rice is an appropriate side dish with Lobster.  I prefer Wild Rice, but, simple steamed rice is good, too.  Using the melted Butter that comes with the Lobster and using it on the rice makes the rice that much better.

Rarely have I have seen Succotash on a MDR menu.  I enjoy that combination of veggies.  The "medley" of Green Beans and Carrots that almost nightly appears on my plate during some cruises is tiresome.  And, very unimaginative as to what vegetables would be appropriate with an entree.  (Sometimes, the Chef will add a bit of "excitement" to these veggies by adding a few thin strips of a Red or Yellow Pepper.)  

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have eaten many of those triangles in recent years.  Did not used to be.  No memory of what I was served on QE2 or QM2.  Being a Table of the Worlds and Britannia Restaurant guest, it may the same kind of product.  But, on QE2, in 1980, this probably was before the hockey pucks were "invented".  

Why didn't I think of that!  😀  I like cream soups, but, don't think I have had Cream of Spinach.  Creamed Spinach?  Yes.  But, never in soup form.  

You know when I am on board and bend over the rail at a port I always wonder what is in all these boxes and pallets. I must admit being a Peeper,  I look with BINO... over and see what is the boxes.

I would hope alot of the items would be freshly made from scratch and not Manufacture Food. But with a cap ship 2662 do they have the time..

I know we alway ask if we get chummy with MdH of the Dining Room, do they know what may be coming on at the Port of Call or the next Port of Call. Have some local goods..  

18 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

A side that I like but find that it is not always served is a Popover when Prime Rib is served.

I think rice is an appropriate side dish with Lobster.  I prefer Wild Rice, but, simple steamed rice is good, too.  Using the melted Butter that comes with the Lobster and using it on the rice makes the rice that much better.

Rarely have I have seen Succotash on a MDR menu.  I enjoy that combination of veggies.  The "medley" of Green Beans and Carrots that almost nightly appears on my plate during some cruises is tiresome.  And, very unimaginative as to what vegetables would be appropriate with an entree.  (Sometimes, the Chef will add a bit of "excitement" to these veggies by adding a few thin strips of a Red or Yellow Pepper.)  

Yorkshire..........Batter poured into the Prime Rib Fat cups....at High Temp...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I Love Broccolini with Lemon & Butter.

I like to pour the juices from the Lobster Tail platter over the rice and also some of the butter.

Always, Always, Always ask for MORE butter.....lol...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, abugarcia1 said:

This could be a side dish or a meal for the less hungry. The mushroom flatbread with NCL is outstanding!

One we like is Mushroom with Sauteed Shallots and Roasted Peppers

• 4 weeks later...

I love these food topics.  This is really tough when one has cruised on more than 65 ships over 40+ years.   But one that comes to mind are the sauteed mushrooms (scented with brandy) in the Thomas Keller Grill on Seabourn ships.  The dish is not particularly gourmet or unique, but that particular recipe is simply devine.

Hank

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The Keller rendition sounds divine.  I love sautéed mushrooms at breakfast.  Even creamed mushrooms on toast makes a great breakfast dish.

My Sauteed Mushrooms contain no less 5 mushrooms we are lucky with all the markets we have locally. 

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The Keller rendition sounds divine.  I love sautéed mushrooms at breakfast.  Even creamed mushrooms on toast makes a great breakfast dish.

Now I will admit that at breakfast that does sound like a great idea.  But on Seabourn, the TK grill is strictly a dinner venue.   But those mushrooms are terrific with their steaks, Dover Sole, or lamb chops.  But now you have me dreaming of having them with my eggs :).

Hank

You have reminded me of a TA cruise on which we were seated at a large table.  One night one of the diners remarked on the deliciousness of the mushrooms.  Would we all like some?  Of course!  A large bowl of them appeared.  Then the same with asparagus.  And then, every night, our table was blessed with a large bowl of sauteed mushrooms and a large bowl of asparagus.  Thank you, Oscar!

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 8:48 PM, Hlitner said:

Now I will admit that at breakfast that does sound like a great idea.  But on Seabourn, the TK grill is strictly a dinner venue.   But those mushrooms are terrific with their steaks, Dover Sole, or lamb chops.  But now you have me dreaming of having them with my eggs :).

Hank

I recall having delicious sautéed mushrooms with my breakfast when onboard RCI at their buffet.  Goes great with eggs!

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

I recall having delicious sautéed mushrooms with my breakfast when onboard RCI at their buffet.  Goes great with eggs!

That would be in the English Breakfast area, right?  Sauteed mushrooms, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, sausages.....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

That would be in the English Breakfast area, right?  Sauteed mushrooms, baked beans, grilled tomatoes, sausages.....

RCI was somewhat schizophrenic with the breakfast offerings.  One Atlantic crossing there were no English breakfast items.  Another time we crossed from Southampton and I was surprised with a mountain of English bangers each morning…along with the grilled tomatoes, sautéed mushrooms, baked beans, fried toast, etc etc.  We can’t get bangers around New England so I loaded up every morning.

• Like 1

On 7/18/2022 at 10:04 AM, shipgeeks said:

That has been the area when I have found them in the Lido Restaurants on Princess and HAL ships.  English Bacon is usually available as well along with Bangers and other sausages.  Just can't quite understand why our friends across the Pond like Baked Beans for breakfast, though.  

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That has been the area when I have found them in the Lido Restaurants on Princess and HAL ships.  English Bacon is usually available as well along with Bangers and other sausages.  Just can't quite understand why our friends across the Pond like Baked Beans for breakfast, though.  

LOL, Back in the 70s I did a three-week bus-camping trip around Australia.  We had baked beans on toast every morning at breakfast.  That was my introduction to the dish.

• Thanks 1