Trying Carry-on Only!

Keep in mind that the carry on size for the cruise is different from a carry on for an airline.  So, if you are driving, it can be a bigger bag than airline carry on bags.  We typically fly Southwest (probably 90%) of the time, so luggage cost has never been an issue for us.

DH and I are both doing carry on only (small roller carry on and the backpack that fits on top) for our 9-night European cruise. The challenge is that we need cold weather clothes, so we are not packing a lot of choices. Some of my clothes really wanted to go on this trip and are sad to miss it. We leave tomorrow.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lee Cruiser said:

carry on size for the cruise is different from a carry on for an airline

Carry-on size allowance also varies by airline. Ironically Southwest allows some of the largest carry-on and personal bags even though they include 2 check bags in the fare. Most likely because they only use 737's and have lager overhead bins.

I fly Southwest often but I still don't check a bag. For me its more about the freedom to not have to wait to check or collect my luggage.

Edited by Ilovesailaway
typo
  • Like 2

When I sail solo I take a backpack only for usually 7 night cruises. I pack undies, socks, extra pair of shoes, swimming trunks, 3 pairs of shorts, 1 pair of jeans, 1 pair of dress pants, and a few shirts. Easily enough clothing. Now when my wife goes and we drive it's one large suitcase, 1 regular sized suitcase, 2 backpacks, and her somewhat large purse/bag.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and suggestions. I'm fairly sure we are going to be able to pull this off. We ' practiced packed '...and it was better than I thought. I will have an easier time than my wife, as I can get by with less...especially shoes. I will wear a nicer pair when getting on the boat, and will only need a pair of flip flops packed. It's easier being a man...with this, and a lot of things! One thing in our favor...we are driving down to Galveston from Missouri...so no airline involved. 😀

• Like 3

Honestly, I've never quite figured out how checking a bag with Carnival works! So I always just carry my luggage on with me. I wish we could leave it in the stateroom while being cleaned but it isn't too bad. I do roll my clothes so I can fit more. But I easily can pack for up to 2 weeks in an airline sized carry on. 

Most of the people I travel with end up taking 2 airline sized checked bags and don't even wear 3/4th of what they bring. But you can take the big checked bags you usually use for airline and carry it on Carnival yourself. 

Edited by ashkir

We just started the carry on/carry off travel.... if we are driving to port, we use our 24" bag with a topper (tote bag with a trolley sleeve that attaches to the handle of the suitcase... if we are flying, it will be the carry-on (20") and a personal item (tote/backpack)... we are guilty of brining way too much stuff, most of which doesn't even get touched... 

Besides, how much room do you need for 7 bikini's and speedo's, right 😉 

FYI.... cpap/bi-pap machines fly for free (medical device)... does not count as your personal item...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've   only done a carryon and my pocketbook on cruises for about the last 7 years.  No flying to port.

Longest was a 14 day Journey's and I still came back with stuff I never wore.

Pack layers in matching colors so that everything matches  everything packed.  I do black, navy and tan. Roll tightly in suitcase.  Unpack and spray clothes with Downy Wrinkle Release and hang in closet.'

I dress for Elegant night as well so it's not a bunch of stuff thrown in a suitcase.

Other than rinsing a few pieces in the sink, I never did laundry either.

I've found it to be so much easier than packing a million things I'll never wear anyway.

Each scenario has its pros and cons. Certain trips call for certain luggage sizes for me. Sometimes we combine into 1 check-in. Sometimes we just do carry-ons. I just can't see the liberation benefit of smaller suitcase over a regular-sized one just for the sake of the topic. I literally have my suitcase on me (on its wheels) for what, an hour? People act like the luggage is glued to their hand for the trip. To not have the shoes, toiletries, sunscreen, wine, snorkel, and anything else I need (or need to shop for or buy/rent inferior versions) for a week long vacation is in no way, shape, or form liberating to me.

For some people, liberating is swapped out for money-saving. If you want to save money fine. If you're going to buy those things later to save out on a luggage fee, you are not saving money.

On 6/6/2022 at 8:12 PM, hillbillycruisers said:

For our upcoming Carnival Vista cruise in November we are wanting to try packing everything in our carry-ons only, with no checked luggage. I've seen other people do this, but we never thought it possible for us. I've always envied the people walking off the boat with hardly any luggage. This is a seven day cruise, and while it probably will be difficult, we are hoping to pull it off. Besides my carry-on, I'll also have my C-Pap in a backpack, and I can stuff several clothing items in with it.. Does anyone have any advice that might help us? 

You can do it.  We did 30 days in Europe with just our carry ons.  I did a lot of laundry in the sinks during longer stays but we always felt clean and fresh.  Certainly made us more mobile. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hillbillycruisers said:

Does this stuff actually work?? I have never tried it.

it does work. It's best for lightly wrinkled items though. I iron my items before I pack them. The wrinkle release gets the suitcase wrinkles out. Even on VERY wrinkled items, like if I hypothetically just threw clothes in my suitcase straight from the dryer without folding or anything, it will make those items look halfway decent. The smoothing process just takes longer.

• Like 1

We are doing a 9 day cruise from Dover England with a two day stay on either end.  I don't think I can do a carry-on but I'm looking for a mid-size suitcase for each of us!  I have done a 7 day cruise with a carry-on and back pack.

On our last 7-day cruise DH and I each had a carry on. I carried mine on and he chose to turn his over to the porter. On my next solo cruise, another 7-day, I'll again have a carry-on and a slouch bag for my wallet, passport and so forth. The slouch bag doubles as my poolside bag.

I bring either a black skirt or a little black dress to wear on elegant night. I don't dress up or wear make-up or spend an hour on my hair anymore, but I do dress respectfully and wear my nicer earrings.

I got tired of dragging the kitchen sink with me. I started packing lighter and lighter and now I'm a minimalist. No regrets.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hillbillycruisers said:

Does this stuff actually work?? I have never tried it.

Yes.  I've been using it since it came out about 20 years ago.  Haven't used an iron since. I use it on everything whether at home or vacation.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, sgttami said:

Yes.  I've been using it since it came out about 20 years ago.  Haven't used an iron since. I use it on everything whether at home or vacation.

I agree! We always take a wrinkle release spray with us on every cruise, or overnight trip. It actually DOES work. 

C pap is not considered to be a personal item or your carry on (recently learned this). 

I'm a high maintenance woman and avoid as much as possible having to pay to check luggage in. With a normal size rolling carry on and a mid size backpack (not a small as a school backpack but not huge and can still fit under a seat although barely),  I can get a week and a half worth of clothing out of it not having to do laundry (even in the sink). Your jacket/coat isn't considered as a part of your carry on. Wear it on the plane and take it off. What takes up the most space for me are shoes. I've stopped packing heels since I never end up wearing them. It's just boring black loafer type shoes, sneakers, a pair of flip flops (takes up very little space), and a pair of "fancy" sandals or wedges which can be dressed up or down. Toiletries and makeup used to be difficult for me as well but I just condense it. Pick solid color clothing (black, white, navy, grey etc) where you can mix and match. Make sure they are made of materials where you can breathe and won't pick up odors

7 day cruise (for me wardrobe including what I'm wearing on the day of and when leaving):

1 jacket

2 bathing suits (I do use the pool and hot tub)

3 bras (2 normal ones and 1 sports bra)

3 pjs

8 pairs underwear

8 pairs socks (peds take up very little space)

1 leggings for gym

1 top for gym

3 dresses

3 pants

2 shorts

5 tops

1 hoody

2 sweaters

1 purse

That said, I'm not someone who buys souvenirs or anything when I travel so I don't have to worry about having room when returning. 

I don't think I smell either. 

Worst case scenario you pay to do laundry which is likely to be cheaper than checking in luggage anyway.You can do sink laundry in a pinch but I find it takes too long for clothing to dry aside from undergarments and some tops.

16 hours ago, FireEater said:

Wondering if a hanging bag can go through ports x-ray?

Driving to port.

Quicker and easier to just do it as a carry on is my though IF it will go through the x-ray machine at check in

Yes. it will go through.  I've seen many garment bags scanned ahead of me at the terminal.

• Like 2

This thread has me intrigued.  In the past, we've always flown to port and it would have been too complicated/limiting with the carryon liquid rule/security, etc.

Next month we're driving to port for the first time, so we no longer have those airport restrictions.  

Some questions:

1. How big is too big for carryon to the ship?  Are there any size/weight restrictions?  Could we even take a full size suitcase as carryon?

2. Are there any restrictions as to number of bags carried on to the ship?  I'm thinking not.

3. Can we really drop off in room when embarking?  Not unpack, not bother steward, but just drop off so we don't have to cart around the ship?  We've always had FTTF before, so this wasn't an issue.  Now with FTTF gone, we have to think about it.

I can certainly see how going all carryon can be a benefit - no waiting for bags to arrive the first day/night.  No waiting in long lines at debarkation since self-debark goes first.  No trying to find luggage in terminal (and hoping it's there).

44 minutes ago, sarmat1 said:

This thread has me intrigued.  In the past, we've always flown to port and it would have been too complicated/limiting with the carryon liquid rule/security, etc.

Next month we're driving to port for the first time, so we no longer have those airport restrictions.  

Some questions:

1. How big is too big for carryon to the ship?  Are there any size/weight restrictions?  Could we even take a full size suitcase as carryon?

2. Are there any restrictions as to number of bags carried on to the ship?  I'm thinking not.

3. Can we really drop off in room when embarking?  Not unpack, not bother steward, but just drop off so we don't have to cart around the ship?  We've always had FTTF before, so this wasn't an issue.  Now with FTTF gone, we have to think about it.

I can certainly see how going all carryon can be a benefit - no waiting for bags to arrive the first day/night.  No waiting in long lines at debarkation since self-debark goes first.  No trying to find luggage in terminal (and hoping it's there).

Carry-On Bag Size Restrictions

If you want to carry a purse or small bag on the cruise at embarkation -- or off the ship at disembarkation -- Carnival does not limit the number, weight or length of your carry-on, but each item may not exceed 16 inches in height or 24 inches in width. If you are over 21, you may take a single bottle of champagne, no more than 750 ml, in your carry-on baggage. Otherwise, all prohibited items, such as alcohol, weapons, irons, candles and other dangerous items, may not be taken aboard in your carry-on or checked bag.

Checked Bag Size Restrictions

Like carry-on bags, checked bags are limited to 16 inches in height and 24 inches in width, with no length restriction. You are allowed two bags per person, and each bag may not exceed 50 pounds. You may carry your luggage onboard, or give your luggage to a cruise porter, who will deliver it to your stateroom free of charge. The standard tip for a cruise porter is $1 per bag.

• Like 1