Trying Carry-on Only!

On 6/6/2022 at 9:12 PM, hillbillycruisers said:

For our upcoming Carnival Vista cruise in November we are wanting to try packing everything in our carry-ons only, with no checked luggage. I've seen other people do this, but we never thought it possible for us. I've always envied the people walking off the boat with hardly any luggage. This is a seven day cruise, and while it probably will be difficult, we are hoping to pull it off. Besides my carry-on, I'll also have my C-Pap in a backpack, and I can stuff several clothing items in with it.. Does anyone have any advice that might help us? 

We did a 7 day Caribbean cruise with carryon & backpack each as we had to fly in day of embarkation ( would NEVER do that now with airline cancellations galore)

We didn’t even wear everything!

We wear pants/ shorts several times each so bring black or grey.

Only travel toiletries & only essentials.

Flip flops & a nicer sandal covered all my shoe needs.

Used Backpack as beach bag.

We don’t buy much if anything, so no issues there.

• Like 1

We always limit ourselves to one suitcase each but its not an airline carry on size.  We take a medium size hardside clamshell type case for each of us and everything fits with no worries.  The bags are easy to maneuver to carry on the ship but we do have to check it with the airline.

If you're flying with the carry on size, I would partner that up with a backpack and definitely packing cubes/wear things a couple of times and spray with febreeze or downy wrinkle releaser.

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Since we discovered our ability to do this......life-changing!  We did 18 days in Europe (including a 10 day Greece cruise), a week in Jamaica, and another 15 day UK trip (no cruise) with just a carry-on and a backpack each.  The secret, according to my wife, is packing cubes.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

Since we discovered our ability to do this......life-changing!  We did 18 days in Europe (including a 10 day Greece cruise), a week in Jamaica, and another 15 day UK trip (no cruise) with just a carry-on and a backpack each.  The secret, according to my wife, is packing cubes.

Love my packing cubes--but it's going take a lot more than that!

It's about multi-use items that you can mix & match & easily wash. 

It's about paring down to only the essentials.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KKB said:

Love my packing cubes--but it's going take a lot more than that!

It's about multi-use items that you can mix & match & easily wash. 

It's about paring down to only the essentials.

Are you at least Platinum?  Ship's laundry is a big help!

6 minutes ago, mdsgu said:

Are you at least Platinum?  Ship's laundry is a big help!

Nope, doing our 1st Carnival cruise in January.

Not a fan of ship doing my laundry--they are a bit hard on my stuff.

Nearly everything I bring is easy to hand wash, so not a big deal!

I get spoiled with SWA & 2 checked bags, especially when I'm gone 2 weeks. 

I've booked early flights with lengthy layovers to hopefully mitigate airline issues. 

But there is a freedom with packing less for sure.

We are sailing AK in Sept & flying Alaska Air & United. Will likely try this again to avoid luggage fees.

I always go carry on but my advice is to check ON and carry off.

i used to do carry on and off and then I realized just how nice it is to just have them take the stuff on for me

Then you aren’t hauling your crap around and blocking hallways until 1pm 🙂 

Edited by KyloRen
  • Like 4

It’s not so much the clothing but the extras. Hiking boots usually get worn on the plane. Workout shoes, flip flops, sandals, dress shoes. Hair brush, first-aid/med kit, IPad, charging cords, beach bag, coffee mug, water bottle, sometimes snorkel gear. 

I usually wear a Tshirt on the plane and that becomes my night shirt. I will wear a clean tshirt for the day and then use it for the gym the next day (possibly sleeping in it in between) lol.

It is very free-ing to travel with carry on only for any trip.  One tip is no (or limited) cotton clothing. Be willing to rinse/ hand wash items daily.  Packing cubes are good.  Compression sacks are a step up. (Not stuff sacks.... compression sacks.)  Walmart usually carries these in the camping section.  

Be willing to wear the same clothes multiple times (rinsed or not) on the cruise.  For me, this mostly impacts my decision about "elegant night."  I won't have room for special clothing to wear for only a few hours on a cruise.  I definitely will not have room for "dress shoes." 

One suggestion is to ask yourself for everything you pack..."Will I use this item multiple times?"  If the answer is no then it should not go if you want to do carry-on only. 

Some folks will determine they like to have a lot of choices in clothing.  That's great.  That choice likely will prevent you from carry-on only.  Grab the suitcase and fill it up. 

On 6/6/2022 at 10:12 PM, hillbillycruisers said:

For our upcoming Carnival Vista cruise in November we are wanting to try packing everything in our carry-ons only, with no checked luggage. I've seen other people do this, but we never thought it possible for us. I've always envied the people walking off the boat with hardly any luggage. This is a seven day cruise, and while it probably will be difficult, we are hoping to pull it off. Besides my carry-on, I'll also have my C-Pap in a backpack, and I can stuff several clothing items in with it.. Does anyone have any advice that might help us? 

Amazon sell compressible packing cubes that can assist in getting more clothes in those carry-ons.  Just don't pack a bunch of shoes, LOL.

• Like 1

i used to do carry on and off and then I realized just how nice it is to just have them take the stuff on for me

Then you aren’t hauling your crap around and blocking hallways until 1pm 🙂 

THIS^^^

We started consistently doing this about 10 years ago and are now quite proficient at packing for the week in each of our carryons and one tote/large purse or backpack type bags.  We drive to port 99% of the time but use this method whenever flying as well (including Europe trips for more than 8 days).  We have very versatile clothing and we lay out what we want to take then get rid of 50% of it before actually packing the carryons.   

I also am not crazy about having the ship do our laundry and if necessary, will either hand wash or since I get up very early every morning anyway, easy to throw a load in ships laundry room on deck and do it myself.  Not a big deal and its done well before DH and DS get up.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have been looking at youtube videos of packing and it's helped. I and husband will be gone for 28 days and will be taking a big backpack and a carry on and husband a med size suitcase to check in and a backpack.

With all the crazy stories of luggage missing connections and getting lost he is getting a chip for his checked bag.

I use packing cubes and make lists of what I will be wearing hypothetically depending on our excursion and port.

We will start with a land trip in Portugal for 9 days which will still be warm in Sept. then 4 days pre cruise in Amsterdam. So our clothes for that part of the trip will be in our backpack.

My carry on case will have items for the cruise as the temps will be anywhere from 50's to high 60's for British Isles and extra days post cruise in the UK. 

I have already begun packing and repacking and deciding to cut back even  more, looking for 4-5 outfits to mix and match, plus yoga shorts, 2 capris, 3 long sleeve tops, nice casual wear for evening dinners, 2 shoes, a jacket and 2-3 scarves to change up the look of some outfits.

Edited by ISLABONITA
  • Like 1

I’m always baffled that packing carry on size only is difficult for people.

I wear a size 22 so my clothes aren’t tiny and often don’t wear everything I bring with me. I’m a big fan of sun dresses and really good sandals. Add a Couple pairs of shorts, capris and a few tops, swim suit or two and I’m set. 

Having said that, we are taking one mid-sized suitcase which we will be checking on the plane for our back to back in October. The reason for that is that on the airline we are flying on, a checked suitcase is less $ than a carryon. We will each have an under seat item as well. We will possibly do laundry when we are hanging out on our balcony on one of the last 2 days of the first leg which are both sea days. 

• Like 3

Just curious as to why you would want to do carry on only. We have only did 1 cruise but I liked having my things waiting in front of my room. We only carried on a backpack with our swimming clothes in them with us until the room was ready. Thanks.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CyrusJones said:

Just curious as to why you would want to do carry on only. We have only did 1 cruise but I liked having my things waiting in front of my room. We only carried on a backpack with outher swimming clothes in them with us until the room was ready. Thanks.

Why?  because we are flying to the UK and with the number of lost bags by the airline, I will carry-on only.  Plus we will be doing a lot of train travel pre-cruise, switching trains and traveling Italy by train.   

So why would we want to cart around a big suitcase?

Edited by M&A
  • Like 2

Can’t do the carry on only. I like options. 
‘Another vote for Downy Wrinkle Releaser!

Side Product Note:  The Downy WrinkleGuard liquid fabric softener really helps with wrinkling, as does the Bounce Wrinkle Gard sheets. Love this stuff! 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, silvercrikhix said:

Can’t do the carry on only. I like options. 
‘Another vote for Downy Wrinkle Releaser!

Side Product Note:  The Downy WrinkleGuard liquid fabric softener really helps with wrinkling, as does the Bounce Wrinkle Gard sheets. Love this stuff! 

Proper packing prevents wrinkles. I was starting to feel like Peter Piper there. 😂 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2wheelin said:

Proper packing prevents wrinkles. I was starting to feel like Peter Piper there. 😂 

‘I pack proper “perfect” rolled clothing for motorcycle tours, because I have to.
 Cruise, nah, I’m checking that big suitcase. Just my preference. 
Europe, yeah, not bringing much there. Too hard to travel there. 

• Like 2

On 6/7/2022 at 11:12 AM, 1kaper said:

There is a guy on another forum who wrote that his wife packs 12 suitcases. They drive to port.  They carry disposable dishes, cleaning supplies and food in case of forced quarantine. 

That is impressive. It's like costco, but in their suitcases. 

• Haha 4

We started doing carry on only a few years ago... Including 8 days in Italy. We prefer cruising from FL so we must fly there. Same tips as previously mentioned on above posts. Additionally, wear heaviest clothing on the plane - jacket, sweater, jeans, shoes and layers. Use those jacket pockets too. Washable items that dry quickly... I like cotton blend t-shirts and undergarments. Remember a few clothes pins. Sundresses are key. DH has big feet so shoes are problem. He stuffs toiletries inside. It is doable with practice and quite freeing not to deal with all those extra clothes in the cabin

I take 4 days of clothing on a 7 day and wash mid cruise, but I still check luggage in at the terminal, don’t like to be weighted down and having to wait for elevators, going up 7+ flights of stairs is a pain with carry-on luggage.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2022 at 9:07 PM, KyloRen said:

Then you aren’t hauling your crap around and blocking hallways until 1pm 🙂 

I would recommend the opposite.  80% of the cruises I am on we get a letter looking for peoples missing luggage.  We do carry on and carry off only.  Nothing ruins a vacation faster than having luggage lost.

Since we are in Michigan we fly in for every cruise.  I can pack in two ligit airplane carry on size suite cases and two should bags for a week.  Just need to be really good at packing and plan for exactly what you need. 

I always make myself a laundry packet with powdered laundry detergent and dryer sheets just in case I have to was clothes (I don't like them doing my laundry even thought it is free to me) but rarely have to use it.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Wennfred said:

I take 4 days of clothing on a 7 day and wash mid cruise, but I still check luggage in at the terminal, don’t like to be weighted down and having to wait for elevators, going up 7+ flights of stairs is a pain with carry-on luggage.

So I guess you do not do the buffet. Need that elevator. "having to wait for elevators, going up 7+ flights"

• Like 1